SQUARE-ENIX DECIDES TO GIVE ALL OF ITS FANS THE MIDDLE FINGER BY RE-RELEASING THE PC PORT OF FF7 FOR THE PS4

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Neok
*kicks your hearts right in the nuts*
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Neok
Can you imagine there was a time when FF7/SE was legitimately awesome? When you load it up for the first time and it was just,

None of that dirge of cerberus, advent children, gackt, retconning bullshit. Just straight up here's a mysterious flower girl, zoom out and it's a grimy-looking street hmm that's cool, zoom out even more WHOA it's an epic steampunk futuristic city with a super epic theme PLASTER THAT TITLE SHIT ALL OVER THAT SCREEN YEEEES, now quick epic zoom in on another part of the city where a train is coming in, and shit is going down hot DAMN this is my JAM.

I remember doing that... and complaining like hell on rpgamer.com along with everyone else that it was too futuristic and focused too much on graphics and that they shouldn't even call the series Final Fantasy any more because it was now Final Scifi.

It seems really good now, in retrospect, only because each successive game in the series has found its own new and exciting ways to fuck up everything that Final Fantasy means. But I've long since come to grips with the fact that the term "Final Fantasy" means literally nothing except "Big budget Square Enix game".

Also that metal chocobo song is hilarious and ridiculous. Chocobos themselves are pretty silly, frankly. And although I really like seeing FFT and FF14 try to treat them seriously, I also think it's fun to see a game like FF13-2 just let loose and have fun with the idea. If you're gonna be stupid about them, FF13-2 is a good game to do it in, because the whole game is extremely whimsical and nonsensical and has no plot. (Compared to being stupid about them in FF8, which felt very pointless and distracting from the game.)
author=LockeZ
I remember doing that... and complaining like hell on rpgamer.com along with everyone else that it was too futuristic and focused too much on graphics and that they shouldn't even call the series Final Fantasy any more because it was now Final Scifi.

It seems really good now, in retrospect, only because each successive game in the series has found its own new and exciting ways to fuck up everything that Final Fantasy means. But I've long since come to grips with the fact that the term "Final Fantasy" means literally nothing except "Big budget Square Enix game".

That's pretty dramatic. To dislike all of the Final Fantasy games since VI is something else, unless you just dislike the series on principle, which is fine I guess.
@LockeZ FFxiv made a good effort to bring in chocobos to battle with you on the overworld maps. Too bad 99% of the enemies you fight on the overworld are so weak that you can beat them with just autoattacks. Doing FATE's is the only useful time you want your choco to fight and even then it's so meh...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=LockeZ

That's pretty dramatic. To dislike all of the Final Fantasy games since VI is something else, unless you just dislike the series on principle, which is fine I guess.

No, I don't truly dislike anything in the main Final Fantasy series except FF8 and the NES games. I just think most of them could be a lot better, and all of them consistently disappointed the fans because they are never anything like the previous games, except for FF9. I don't know why any of the Final Fantasy games are considered to be in the same series as each-other, really.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
That's sort of the series' defining characteristic. The whole point is to toy with new mechanics in each iteration. They aren't meant to inherit their entire game design from their predecessor.

But that's an interesting idea. Let's play "What would FF games be called if they weren't branded as FF?"

FF1 would be "Final Fantasy" because the name was actually fucking relevant to that game. FF5 would be "Bravely Default's Beta Test," basically.
LockeZ
Having nothing in common isn't a "defining characteristic." I think it's actually the exact opposite of that?

The series' actual defining characteristic, like I said, is "big budget Square Enix game." I used to believe the name meant more than that, but I've come to terms with the truth.

NEW TITLES FOR THE FINAL FANTASY SERIES, IN ORDER
Final Fantasy
Wild Rose Rebellion
Final Fantasy II
Paladin's Redemption
Final Fantasy III
War of the Magi
Planet Crisis
Gardenmaster NORG and the Space Adventures of the Seedling Army
Iifa Mist
Drownball
Final Fantasy Online
Ivalice Sky Pirates
Our Focus
Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn
If you can't find any fundamental common elements within at least the first seven Final Fantasy titles, that's your problem, not theirs.
author=LouisCyphre
FF5 would be "Bravely Default's Beta Test," basically.

Not "Final Fantasy III's Job System Update"? I am disappointed.
LouisCyphre
author=LockeZ
NEW TITLES FOR THE FINAL FANTASY SERIES, IN ORDERFinal Fantasy
Wild Rose Rebellion
Final Fantasy II
Paladin's Redemption
Final Fantasy III
War of the Magi
Planet Crisis
Iifa Mist
Drownball
Final Fantasy Online
Ivalice Sky Pirates
Our Focus

Alright, NOW get people invested in the franchise. Picture early 90's parents in the game store trying to figure out which game their kid wants after they loved FF. They see Dragon Quest, Gauntlet, Zelda, and all sorts of other sword-ish games on the NES rack. How do to you tell them, "Your kid wants this game!"? "From the makers of Final Fantasy!"?

Also Balthier does absolutely no sky pirating in FFXII. It's about female George Bush in pink hotpants looking for her ancestral WMD stones in the world of Star Wars -1. You can make a more fitting title, surely?
In-game naming schemes, battle system base, monster types, summons and musical compositions were all parts of the series that linked them together. The series didn't need more than that.

It was like, uh, Mario in that aspect - the 'story' didn't carry on from game to game, but there was no doubt they were Mario games.
author=LockeZ
NEW TITLES FOR THE FINAL FANTASY SERIES, IN ORDER
Final Fantasy
Wild Rose Rebellion
Final Fantasy II
Paladin's Redemption
Final Fantasy III
War of the Magi
Planet Crisis
Iifa Mist
Drownball
Final Fantasy Online
Ivalice Sky Pirates
Our Focus

- I wanna play Drownball and watch Gardenmaster NORG and the Space Adventures of the Seedling Army on my DVD player right now! Damn it, Square!

But, yeah, I miss the good ol’ days when Final Fantasy used to be something, that I could go to my local video and game store and rent something with the Square logo on it and stay up all night having so much fun trying to finish the game before returning it back, and then returning it back and then asking / begging my parents to buy that very same game for my birthday / Christmas.

Now I actually look forward to getting that ugly Christmas sweater instead. :(

*sigh* Maybe I’m just getting old, or maybe Square-Enix makes so much money nowadays, like the Disney corporation, that they don’t need to try and do anything anymore, that they practically make enough money by just having one of their CEO’s walk into a room, scratch his butt, and then going straight to the can for the next twenty minutes while getting somebody to hold all of his calls.

And with that said can goes slowly down the future and the hopes of a once glorious, proud gaming / entertainment company with it.
LockeZ
Square Enix hardly makes any money from console and handheld games, all their money is from cell phone collectable card games where every card has a picture of a naked loli elf on it. All their "real" games have budgets that are too high. The reason they can't make money from new Final Fantasy games is the same thing I was just complaining about: they're too different from each-other. This means they have to start from scratch for each game. Most game series reuse a lot of things to save money.

This is actually a HUGE part of why FF13 got its sequels. They were able to reuse a lot of art assets, and also use a lot of art assets they made for FF13 but weren't able to actually use in the original game because the PS3 and 360's specs ended up being lower than expected. They also got to keep using the same engine. As a result they were able to make these games with... I think it was something like 20% of the budget of FF13? (Though they also saved money by, very obviously, hiring lower quality writers, composers, and gameplay designers.)
I can't be the only one who kinda wishes they'd go back to 2D FF games, right? Or at least, non-realistic 3D - like FF8/9 3D. It's more charming, I think, and a lot easier to create a more distinct style. Hyper realism kinda destroys original style because it all looks a lot of the same. :/

LouisCyphre
author=Liberty
I can't be the only one who kinda wishes they'd go back to 2D FF games, right? Or at least, non-realistic 3D - like FF8/9 3D. It's more charming, I think, and a lot easier to create a more distinct style. Hyper realism kinda destroys original style because it all looks a lot of the same. :/

I don't know why people like Bravely Default, the dungeon design is boring and the game gets horribly repetitive (literally repeats itself in a way that I can't describe without spoilers).
LouisCyphre
author=WolfCoder
the dungeon design is boring and the game gets horribly repetitive

Valid complaints! I probably would've replayed the game anyways. The repetitiveness is a holdover from Four Heroes of Light which was, while charming, kind of... bland.

BD is so much more fun to mix and match classes in, though, while retaining and upping that "modern oldschool" feel.
author=WolfCoder
I don't know why people like Bravely Default, the dungeon design is boring and the game gets horribly repetitive (literally repeats itself in a way that I can't describe without spoilers).

To be honest I didn't care for it cause it was so pathetically bland and generic straight from the get go. It doesn't surprise me to hear that it's repetitive too. I've never understood what's apparently so special about it.

If I wanted to play a classic Final Fantasy type game I'd... play one. They already exist.

This of course delves deeper into the question of why people want throwback games like BD or Nostalgia, the older games they're badly mimicing are pretty widely available and better in just about every way. Just play those.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I liked BD, but I stopped after (major spoiler)

Alternis Dim attacks you the first time

I still very glad I played the game -- the classes and characters were a lot of fun! It also controls better than al lot of oldschool RPGs. You say "just play the old games," but some of them... the menus........dear god.

Nostalgia was a horrifically bad game though. Like... so bad, holy shit. I'd rather play BD a hundred times in a row than Nostalgia once.

I suggest that everybody just play Grandia 3. Horrible story, terrific gameplay! It has probably replaced Xenosaga 3 as my favorite PS2-era RPG. The story is bad, but it's a fun romp regardless because of the location designs and the over-the-top villains. I had a lot of fun with it.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=WolfCoder

I couldn't even be bothered completing the demo