SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

@Dookie
The shadows on the lower-left part of the balloon are kinda wonky.

The metal parts could use some shine to them, they look like some unidentified gray material in the parts where there's large areas with the same gray color. The rounded parts mostly look good.

I'm having trouble figuring out if the bottom-right fin on the balloon is going straight down or towards the screen, due to the shadow from the balloon on it and the shine on the bottom part.

Nitpicking!
I've been making this "game" for four years and I don't plan on finishing it, like, ever. The main storyline is more or less complete, to make sure the game is completable no matter how many elements are not present yet, but I plan on adding sidequests/expanding the main storyline pretty much forever. Maybe in a few decades I'll consider wrapping it up.

It has some semblance of plot, but it's deeply submerged in surrealism and meta-commentary. Large part of it is an interactive journal of sorts, with introspection and philosophical pondering about the world. Basically, the main rule of this game's design is: if I come up with something, I add it. Holding myself back or worrying about congruity is forbidden. I make detached maps and add access to them later.

An extremely fun side effect is that I sometimes add some piece of dialogue, or sometimes even a whole location, in the spur of the moment, and then forget about it, allowing me to discover it anew. This provides me with lots and lots of narcissistic joy.

This has to be one of my favorite quotes from the game.

@Feedback: Thanks everyone, the RTP hero is just placeholder atm.

@Dookie: God damn, I love that airship, well done.

@orange-: Looks nice, got a Dark Soul-ish feel to it all.

@Dookie
I get what you're saying about the town in my shot. After a second glance I brought it down to a more sizable dimension. Also, that airship... XD
@CharlieEND
Everything about those shots confuses me a bit, and I wouldn't feel comfortable giving any sort of critique because I don't know what I'm looking at (a bridge, and warehouse).
@Momeka
Looking good. Real time puzzles in RM is SO sparse, and SO fun. Sorry for asking (I'm new and ignorant), but what kind of game am I looking at? I didn't see anything about it on your profile. Again, real-time puzzles is always a win; with me, that is.

I finished my world map after about a week of critiquing and getting size and depth properly adjusted - Started doing some 'inner' work. Just as before, I have no idea what I'm doing, so criticism of all types are helpful. thanks!

Outside the Elven barracks of Thistlee

The business/housing district of Thistlee

The Elven mountain village of Waterdorf
@theloath
Your maps look real neato Loath I like your town in the 2nd shot, really creative use of the RTP! :o
I am bad at critiquing :P
---

I'm evolving, growing, like a plant!

For my game I'm going with a cutaway style for cities and indoor areas. The bump out spots are entrances to buildings. Thoughts on the idea?
---
I'm trying to make all the graphics for my game as a learning experience, maybe JavaScript for the next one. Also if you know of tutorials for foliage/plants send them to me please?
@theloathableone, the player character sprite is so cute. Those maps are nice! Not sure about that giant waterfall, though (at least from that one screenshot). It looks as though the screen is divided in two. Perhaps some cliffs behind the water would make it look more natural? Or is it pouring from a hole at a greater height or something. I like the night sky & the rain in that image, and how compact the buildings are.
author=theloathableone
@CharlieEND
Everything about those shots confuses me a bit

That's probably one of the essential aspects of that particular game... pure postmodernism/absurdism, though there's also a fair share of more "normal" locations so that the weirdness can stand out more. In that game, I mostly just like to do things just because they aren't normally done.

Your mapping looks pretty nice and creative! The only nitpick I have is the autotiling path curving away from building rooftops, which can be fixed with the selection tool.

The selection tool is very powerful with the autotiles, and provides lots of possiblities. In this case, you can fix this in two ways:
a) copy and paste the necessary path tiles (in my picture, it's the top-border-only, no-border and bottom-border-only tiles that can be easily copied from the non-obscured part of the path)
b) copy the building, draw the path over the building where it should logically be, and then paste the building again in the same spot. This would work best for square buildings.

As a shortcut, sometimes you can also hold Shift to draw in a "don't change autotiles" mode of sorts. It's especially useful when you want to draw regular tiles next to autotiles.
Selection tool is mostly necessary for combining two different autotiles.

Nah, just use Shift mapping. You don't need the selection tool for that. Hold shift, copy the tiles you want, hold shift, paste the tiles you copied exactly as they are.
@Altered
Thanks! Just knowing that it's aesthetically pleasing is a critique :).
@suzy
The waterfall actually comes from the sky. It is the people's supply of water from their Gods. The rest of the town is behind it. I'm glad you liked the character though! I put a lot of hard work into the characters and I'm pretty horrible at it, so that's good news. Cute was exactly what I was going for ;) (though, the game itself is going to be a rollercoaster of depression).
@Sated, @CharlieEND, @Liberty
Eh, I'll figure it out. Now that I'm aware. That "Shift to copy tiles" thing is going to be a life-saver. Thanks for the stupidity remedy guys.

Edit: Also, Altered, I'm digging that style of mapping.
You're not stupid for not knowing something. Now you know, now you can use. ^.^
I also didn't know that using the Shift key + clipboard bypassed autotile updating... Very useful.
Tau
RMN sex symbol

Just trying out RMMV since I bought it & haven't touched it once. Much harder to map in this.

@momeka - Your game looks incredible msn, keep doing what you're doing!
@theloath - Your first game & RTP skills are leaps & bounds ahead of what I had my first time around.
author=Liberty
Nah, just use Shift mapping. You don't need the selection tool for that. Hold shift, copy the tiles you want, hold shift, paste the tiles you copied exactly as they are.

I wasn't even aware of what Shift mapping can do when combined with the picker tool... That sure is enlightening. Thanks.

I have quite a history of using RM sub-optimally... since when I first got RM from a friend, there was no manual included and I didn't even have internet back then. I ended up making an entire game without ever using variables.
Hammering away on a title screen

author=Tau

Mapping itself looks good.

There's something...a bit garish about those tiles, but I can't put my finger on it. XD Do you think you'd start a new/short project in MV?

@Tau:

I made a quick test, lowing the brightness and increasing the contrast slightly (as well as playing with the hue a bit). What's going on with the resolution in that screenshot, though? A close inspection reveals that it's janky as hell; single pixels mixed with doubled pixels. It's all stretched and blurry.
author=CharlieEND
author=Liberty
I wasn't even aware of what Shift mapping can do when combined with the picker tool... That sure is enlightening. Thanks.

I have quite a history of using RM sub-optimally... since when I first got RM from a friend, there was no manual included and I didn't even have internet back then. I ended up making an entire game without ever using variables.

There wasn't a manual around when I and others discovered Shift Mapping either. It's been around for a pretty long time now, well before XP came out, but we had to figure out how to do it for ourselves. It was the best way and fastest way to deal with autotile placement, though, even back then. And don't worry, took me ages to figure out how to use variables properly. My oldest games hold an abundant of switches. XD

Those tiles are from a pack, so yeah, they've probably got some issues with them. I can already see the lines in some of them and the overly detailed grass and weird ground tiles don't help, especially with how busy the trees are too. There's a reason I never bought that set - it looks like a hot mess and it's a terrible thing to do to some nice mapping.