SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

author=Sated
Or do you mean the skin needs some shading to fit with the RTP chipsets?
Yes to this. The character is also somewhat small for the size of other stuff in the rtp, I think.
The character looks fine. What bugs me is the brightness of the "roof" tiles. They are way too bright compared to the dark depths between and around the walls. I think some editing and recoloring of those tiles is in order to make it look better.

Nice! I think more people should ditch the wall autotile when making caves and do custom "cap" tiles. And I like the faded outside walls look. I might have to steal that...

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=bulmabriefs144
When I want advice, I will ask for it. And I expect people to discuss what I asked about. No dredge up issues that I have no intention of responding.

This isn't how this thread works.

This isn't even how the internet works.
Looks great, Sal! That's something I liked to do, but I'm not exactly a beast at mapping xD
Yours looks gorgeous though

edit: I'm not fond of the edited crystal's palette.

You broke two very important general rules here:
cooler colors recede and don't occur naturally as a lightsource (unless it's a snowy day out) the whole screen has a visibly warm lightsource. Yet you shaded the highlights in those rocks blue.
For most natural lightning scenarios (and for 99% of medieval stuff) you'll want warm highlights (preferrably yellow) and cool shadows (a bit bluer)

Saturation: Naturally, objects lose saturation as they are shadowed. shaded portions of objects are normally therefore less saturated than their highilighted counterparts, yet in those rocks the almost red shade of brown you use for the shadows is visibly more saturated than the pale, grey-ish tone of the highlights.

I made a quick edit, this imght help you:

Still, the mapping itself is top notch.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=bulmabriefs144
When I want advice, I will ask for it. And I expect people to discuss what I asked about.
Jeez! And you guys thought I had a bad attitude.

Bulma the only rules that really matter are these, what a man can do, and what a man can't do, for instance, you can accept feedback for your maps or you can't, your maps are pretty lacking boy and you'll have to square with that someday.

We are allowed to critique you however we like. No rule exists stating otherwise, and you don't make the rules.

We aren't telling you your maps are shit just to be dicks, we're telling you they look like shit because that's what we honestly think and we want you to release your game happily.

But if you wanna keep blowing us off and acting like you know better, then so be it, don't come crying to us when no one likes your game for some reason or another.

Also it may be in your best interests to be a little more diplomatic with your potential future playerbase, though consider me uninterested after this recent debacle. It's not a good idea to be a self-important masturbatory wankface when you are designing games, do you like Phil Fish?

No, neither do I, don't be that guy.
I don't think there's any use telling him that. The guy has been here for years and has barely improved his mapping at all, probably because of his know-it-all attitude and refusing to listen to others.
author=BowelMovement
author=bulmabriefs144
When I want advice, I will ask for it. And I expect people to discuss what I asked about.
Jeez! And you guys thought I had a bad attitude.

Bulma the only rules that really matter are these, what a man can do, and what a man can't do, for instance, you can accept feedback for your maps or you can't, your maps are pretty lacking boy and you'll have to square with that someday.

We are allowed to critique you however we like. No rule exists stating otherwise, and you don't make the rules.

We aren't telling you your maps are shit just to be dicks, we're telling you they look like shit because that's what we honestly think and we want you to release your game happily.

But if you wanna keep blowing us off and acting like you know better, then so be it, don't come crying to us when no one likes your game for some reason or another.

Also it may be in your best interests to be a little more diplomatic with your potential future playerbase, though consider me uninterested after this recent debacle. It's not a good idea to be a self-important masturbatory wankface when you are designing games, do you like Phil Fish?

No, neither do I, don't be that guy.

On a daily basis, I used to get pestered about my long/oily hair. I now fidget at it to the point where it cracks and develops splits easily. I used to be bother about my grungy clothes. Now I don't bother to change my clothes most days. All this criticism by family mostly, has it made me a better person? Not hardly! It's made me a neurotic mess, a perfectionist type that hates perfectionism so much he can't even be good at that, and spends a great deal of time second-guessing even average work. I'm shy to the point that when I apply for jobs, people confuse my reluctance to say anything good about myself, they think it means I'm not able to do the job, or confident enough to do it. And yet these same people expect me to almost thank them for their input! No. I'm a basketcase, and when people critique my work, it's like picking on a very raw and festering wound.

I accept two types of criticism. Stuff that I actually asked "is it good?" And criticism that is very much like, "you can reduce the size of the screen and add more tables, and maybe add a list of rules." Telling me it's just awful without any input how to improve, or "other people all do it THIS way," are pretty much statements I have no use for. For that matter, I have little use for complements either. I got praised at Amazon for helping the pickers, so then I looked at what I was doing and tried to do more of it, it screwed me up when I should have done what came naturally.

In general, if nobody likes my games, they just don't download them. I like having people like my stuff, but I'd like to think any actual fans of my stuff would upset if I sold out to mass opinion. I don't want my game to be "popular" I guess I'm saying. I want to have a niche, and I just want to be good enough, while still maintaining a sort of quirky style to my art and dialogue (think B movie). Anything that seems to ignore this misses the point. Stuff I want to better, but still have the feel of a kid's art project. And that means perspective goes out the window, and I have deliberate stylistic suck.

Okay, let's post pictures!

Mushroom house and absurdly large inn. I couldn't change the other two buildings without altering the wreckage.

The notice in the inn.

BizarreMonkey
Lol thats fine, my main gripe wasn't even with your maps, just your attitude.

I know firsthand how it is to be judges cosmetically, people just do that, it stinks but its how the world is.

I just kept at it, I'm still not by any means an exceptional mapper, and I don't brag to be, nor do you.

But I'd never turn down feedback, you don't have to implement it, getting self important is one of those things you just don't do, it's illegal or something?

I just take it as it comes, mind you our situations vary differently, I have very impressionable parents.

Stylistic suck isn't that bad, especially from my perspective, hell if you're using anything other than rtp you've got my vote. I am the megalomaniac behind the celebrated sloppy mess that is Intelligence. It's my game I do for fun, and for this reason, I don't show screenshots of it much here, or if I do, it's because I've done something at least a little impressive, or I'm feeling like I haven't posted a screenshot in long enough.

Just gotta be more diplomatic, I know it's hard sometimes, I've been on the verge of fucking some people up on this thread because of dumb horseshit, but thankfully said dumb horseshit is usually my fault, eating humble pie will suck at the time, but if you admit your mistake everyone will think far more of you. You may also be less in tune with your psyche.

Just know that when people tell you how to map better here, or give you feedback, they're just doing it for your benefit, the reason everyone started grouping up on you is because you took everything in a very negative way.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=SnowOwl
I don't think there's any use telling him that. The guy has been here for years and has barely improved his mapping at all, probably because of his know-it-all attitude and refusing to listen to others.

Years? Hell I've been using rpg maker for no longer than 1 and a half years and I still went from this to this...
unity
You're magical to me.
author=ExtremeDevelopment
author=SnowOwl
Years? Hell I've been using rpg maker for no longer than 1 and a half years and I still went from this to this...

That's impressive, ExtremeDevelopment!

I personally owe my growth in the last few years as a developer almost completely to the advice of the RMN community. I got a ton of really helpful feedback and advice, I made my games more accessible to the average player, and I learned a lot about flaws I have that I didn't even know before! All that and I've never had to sacrifice or compromise my vision of what I wanted my games to be (aside from making sure they work in the RPG Maker engine XD).

Because of that, it irks me to see someone constantly ignore good advice from skilled or talented people who are trying to help. No one has to take the advice that they are given, but looking at something from a different way than you normally do is very enlightening and really helps with growth, so I think it's generally worth a shot :D
BizarreMonkey
author=ExtremeDevelopment
author=SnowOwl
Just to beat a dead horse, I fucking love your purple green alien world map.

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Awwww thanks a lot guys :3 I feel like I could make mapping my main thing, but I'm not sure if that would be a really good idea haha

Plus I'm pretty useless unless I do parallax mapping which takes too long
Omg stop posting screenshots with the event grid on.

Bulma, You dare tl;Dr real criticism then post a wall of text about your hair or whatever. Paging Dr. Freud...

Nothing in that map looks good. I would start over. A fresh approach might work out. Maybe with thicker rooftops, idk, just a thought

Still working on establishing rough moods for each Kingdom world. Desert bug land pictured here.
@Dookie
That map/tileset is beautiful (whichever you are showcasing). Are those insect nests?
I hope you have every layer of that backdrop scroll at slightly differing speeds. It creates amazing sense of immersion and vastness in the landscape with such a simple method.
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
author=Sated
"No swimming in the pool", but there isn't a pool to be seen.

"Prostitutes welcome", but certainly "No kissing" or (god forbid) "Low cut blouses".

I CAN'T EVEN!

It reminds me of one of the guards from secret of Evermore.

"Please adhere to the following rule of the city square: No swimming, No swearing, No laughing, No crying, No talking out of turn, No line dancing, No moose calling, No sword play, No pumpkin carving, No mummified cat juggling, No wallowing in your own self pity, No circumstantial evidence, No walking on the grass, No pancakes on Monday, No dessert until you eat your vegetables, No slapstick comedy, No balloon animals, And absolutely, positively, No barking like a seal. It upsets me." -Guard
unity
You're magical to me.
"No kissing" is a dealbreaker, sorry XD