CALLING ALL FOODIES AND LOVERS OF FOOD! (RMN BRANCH)

Pages: first prev 12 last
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
F...fooood....

I haven't really cooked anything in a good bit, or at least nothing that isn't super easy like HERES A SANDWICH or whatever but when I do I'll add it :D

It is funny because I was actually thinking of a sort of topic like this but didn't think someone already made it. Figures an OCEAN person would start it!
author=Ocean
F...fooood....

I haven't really cooked anything in a good bit, or at least nothing that isn't super easy like HERES A SANDWICH or whatever but when I do I'll add it :D

It is funny because I was actually thinking of a sort of topic like this but didn't think someone already made it. Figures an OCEAN person would start it!

What can I say? Great minds think alike! Liberty says you're the resident food monster! Aha! It even says so in your title!
Wooooaaaah, you both have Ocean in your name LOL When Liberty said it's something Ocean would do I thought she meant Oceaniqo. How about that.

I love cooking and awesome food but for reason never make anything fancy when it's just me eating :/ I only really COOK cook when my boyfriend's over, but when it's just me I live off of rice and cereal lol. I doing cool stuff with rice though, like that apple curry one.

This recipe is just a bit quirky, but man oh man... it's cheap, filling, packed with meat and delicious. :> I made it once, I want to make it again soon...
I notice in that video that she is doing something wrong with the onions. Anything you want to pan fry like that you should NOT stir it that much. Stir it enough to spread it out and let it sit for a while. Maybe stir it once or twice over the whole course of cooking. You want your onions and meat to sit in the same spot and brown - that's where all the flavor comes from. Of course you don't want to overcook it, but that's a matter of time. And don't worry too much about it not cooking enough without stirring - when it's diced finely like that it will cook through easily as long as the outside is browned.
Not necessarily wrong, that's just how SHE does it. I guess she didn't wanna fry 'em, just cook 'em. :) It was still delish though.
It comes down to food chemistry. The Maillard Reaction is what provides the strongest savory flavors in anything from bread to steak to french fries. Stirring something constantly prevents this reaction from happening. It's not exactly bad, but you're robbing yourself of extra flavor.

I will give you though that with onions they may dry out if cooked without stirring. It's best to put a lid on it so that doesn't happen. I always put a lid on my pans unless I'm intentionally trying to dry out or reduce what I'm cooking, even if the lid is tipped to one side to let the steam pressure escape.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Some useful info:

Treated cast iron has better non-stick properties than teflon, is non-toxic and should the treating ever wear off, is easily retreated. Teflon, on the other hand, will kill your birds, so what do you think it's doing to you and it's not just burnt Teflon. The mere act of heating Teflon produces toxic fumes. Aluminum is also toxic. Don't use it.

When frying chicken, the chicken should be fully thawed, the oil should be at full cooking temperature before adding the chicken, and it must at least halfway submerge the chicken, or it won't cook through.
I love my cast iron skillet but it's never seasoned right. I've got to smother it in shortening and bake it for...what, 15 minutes? That worked well last time but it wore off so I have to do it again.

I've also heard good things about an "all-clad" skillet: two layers of stainless steel sandwiching a layer of aluminum. The aluminum is supposed to help spread the heat more evenly. It would also be a lot lighter than the awful weight of lots of cast iron. But the things are about $100 so I don't have one. Yet.
I apologize for necroposting but this was too good to not share.

My boyfriend and I just recently got our own place and had a housewarming party. We made two dozen wine burgers. They. Were. So. Good.

Got ground beef, mixed in bred crumbs, egg, and minced onion and garlic and wine. Mixed it all up, put it in a bowl, then poured the rest of the wine over it and let it sit overnight. Strained the excess wine then formed the meat into patties the next day.

Broiled the buns with butter and garlic powder on them. Threw some aged white cheddar cheese and swiss cheese on the patties, then threw them on the bun, put on a little cilantro and sweet vidalia onion hummus and devoured the hell out of said burger.

There were no burgers left at the end of the party.
Necroposting is a thing here?

I'd rather that happen then this thread get buried anyday!

Ohhhh mannnn..... WINE BURGERS SOUND AMAZING.

Tomorrow, I'll try my hand at meatloaf and panfried potatoes. I'll post pics on our new Nikon Digital Camera. :D
O: Meat loaf and panfried potatoes sounds amazing O_O I LOVE MEATLOAF.

I didn't take pics like I should have, but I made my first homemade cream of tomato soup today for lunch lol.

I simmered then blendered a can of tomatoes with a diced onion, put the mix back in the pot and added a can of coconut milk instead of cream. With some chili spice, curry and a spoonful of that sweet onion hummus to thicken it up a little. Mmmmmmmm. It was awesome. Made up some grilled cheese sammiches to go with it with some aged white cheddar (CAUSE I LOVE THAT SHIT) and tomato and basil shaved turkey slices. Mah gahd. What a lunch.
Pages: first prev 12 last