FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Feldschlacht IV
Midgar's design and sense of scale was partially based off of Tokyo

author=LockeZ
should probably be kind of huge, at least in the cinematic.

Fair enough! What irks me about this it that while it makes sense, the updated difference in style makes it "not Final Fantasy VII" in my eyes.

author=Nomura
“We can’t have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn,”

Lost Odyssey disagrees.

author=zeello
I'm sorry but that part was completely dumb, even by PS1 standards.

Final Fantasy VII was filled with dumb parts like that, still it's part of the original flavour.

About Cloud's personality I'm always bummed how they can mess it up so badly in the spin-off, movies and cameos.
Emo don't give a crap Cloud isn't Cloud!

author=kentona
author=Feldschlacht IV
Do you really think people will pay for the exact same game with better graphics, especially considering how far video games have come?
yes.

Yes.
What many people think they're asking for when demanding for a remake is actually a remaster.
The same game with better visuals and fixed issues.

I'm curious about what JENOVA will look like.
You can't have an FF7 remake without this classic scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu92wc7IQl0#t=0m40s

But that part of the story probably won't be in the remake. It's Square Enix so they'll probably make the whole game dark and serious instead. Those bastards.

author=LockeZ
Here are the changes that I 100% guarantee will happen:
- All dialogue will be voice acted
- The graphics will look phenomenal
- The story will be translated properly, yet somehow make even less sense
- Combat will not include any menus and will instead just rely on pressing X to attack
- Enemies will be fought in the dungeon while exploring, not in a separate battle screen, and you will be able to move around the environment as you fight to avoid attacks
- Cloud's skillset will consist of Attack, Braver and Omnislash, nothing else
- Cloud will be able to equip only one materia at a time
- Weapon upgrades will no longer exist; Buster Sword for entire game
- Cloud will have highly cinematic combat movements, swinging his sword around in all kinds of patterns that look like they should be based on the player's attack timing and positioning and what direction they're pushing on the joystick, but actually it's all 100% automatic, like in Kingdom Hearts and FF15
- All other party members will be completely AI controlled
- Many locations will be removed from the game, and 75% of the game will take place in Midgar and Junon
- Everyone's outfits will be redesigned by Tetsuya Nomura to be 1000% more emo, even though he was the one who designed the original outfits in the first place
To be honest your prediction has the makings of an amazing game, except for maybe the part about being able to equip only one materia. This implies that you'll have to be constantly switching materia as a result, so already it sounds like a disaster. A better alternative might be is if every materia you attain is permanently equipped.

p.s. aww you changed your avatar. I loved the House avatar for some reason.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'll change it back after Phoenix Mafia is over.
I want to hear Cloud VA go "Shinra dog! I'm gonna dognap you!". FF7 Cloud is the best Cloud.
I still don't understand how people can complain that Final Fantasy is going downhill or a certain part ruined the series - in my experience, Final Fantasy was never good to begin with.
Well, what's the point of posting that in a thread obviously directed at fans of the series unless you're trying to incur this type of response? :/

I don't know why I bothered saying that XD
author=LightningLord2
I still don't understand how people can complain that Final Fantasy is going downhill or a certain part ruined the series - in my experience, Final Fantasy was never good to begin with.

hahaha
apparently people on the comments of the video (which's recently surpassed the 8 million cap) all want FF7 to be A FUCKING ACTION RPG

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOCKEZ' PREDICTIONS ARE DEFINITELY ACCURATE, AND THAT MAKES ME WANNA CRY AND STAB MYSELF IN THE GUTS

GOODBYE DEPTH, HELLO FLASHY SHALLOW BUTTON-MASHING BATTLE SYSTEM

At least they could make it a flashy thing but keep it turn based, like FF13 or whatever, that'd be less horrible than SHAGOOMBA SHCWAAAAZZZZ SHACHWHAPOFSH

i mean look at the FFX/X2 sales
In fact, I think FFX-2 is the way to go. The battle system is flashy and dynamic... AND ATB >:^V
Chill out, we know next to nothing about the actual game, regardless of what youtube commenters (i.e., the scum of the earth) say.
He's right. Comments don't lead to plan changes - it's obvious that Square already have plans for how they want FF7 to be else they wouldn't have commented about it. Likely they're not going to be swayed by others' comments about it.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I want you guys to ask yourself if anyone likely to work on this remake even understands what made FF7 a good game.

Did you guys not see what happened to the Lufia II remake? Never underestimate a developer's ability to miss the point entirely.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Liberty
He's right. Comments don't lead to plan changes - it's obvious that Square already have plans for how they want FF7 to be else they wouldn't have commented about it. Likely they're not going to be swayed by others' comments about it.

Remember how much they changed in Final Fantasy XIII-2 because of comments/feedback, plus this remake would never be happening if it wasn't for comments/feedback.
Sadly though, I'm pretty sure Square-Enix mostly sees ATB battles and such as a relic of the past, as grossly misinformed as that may be.

Nomura has basically already confirmed as much:
author=Tetsuya Nomura
...we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre.

(As an aside, how this this one man come to be the director of THREE OF SQUARE'S BIGGEST TITLES all at once?!?)

It's very likely they're borrowing assets and elements of the game engine from FFXV. Otherwise it would take them 4-5 years at minimum to develop the remake. At least with going that route, they'd have a pretty sizable launching point.

A (less) polarizing option would be to include a "classic" ATB style battle system that's more of a straightup throwback to the original, as an alternative to whatever changes SE is bound to implement. They certainly have the budget for it... ;__; But I won't hold my breath.

...But yeah Mog's also right - we know so little at this point, there's no sense in ruffling feathers.
I mean, look at goddang bravely default squenix ;_;
people still like proper jrpgs, you don't have to throw countless bazzazz to make your game cool ;-;

I'd really love to see a flashy, sped-up version of the typical ATB, though. It'd make the battles pretty whilst not sacrificing gameplay. I mean, FFX-2 for godness sake, I think that's their second most sold ps2 title, and third most sold Final Fantasy title? Anyway.

I'll... Chill. I musn't worry about that. ;_;
It's just that the fans pointing guns at each other and asking for squenix to turn ff7 into kingdom hearts 4 is pissing me off ;-;
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Blindmind: That's not actual confirmation of ATB not being used. That just means that if they use it, it'll probably look visually more like FF13's ATB.

I mean, I'm right there with you, I don't actually think ATB will be used. But if you want to build up your hopes and then have them dashed in twelve months, you can justify interpreting his statement that way.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
When I saw gameplay of FF15, all I could think was "This is FF7". At least considering the Advent Children action. It was all over the top, physics be damned action. I presume we'll have more of that, and FF7 will rest beside Crisis Core in bland infamy. At least we can dream about minigames. I really doubt it though. I also am worrued about Cait Sith. We'll have to wait and see.
Omg, my cousin posted this on my wall. My body is so ready for this. Playing FF7 as a adult, you really see how special it is. Really one of the best ever. Not overrated at all, imo <3

author=GreatRedSpirit
I want to hear Cloud VA go "Shinra dog! I'm gonna dognap you!". FF7 Cloud is the best Cloud.

Cloud is amazing. Brilliant character. No comment on what he's turned into lol, but in FF7 proper, he was great.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Well, if they do it right, Cloud will be Zack from Crisis Core and then morph into Cloud from Advent Children. I'm cool with that.
Love Barret's gun arm im that teaser. It would be seriously cool to see Midgar in a more open-world, FF15 approach. And seeing the monsters in full size would be so damn awesome. The ff15 monsters are so classic looking despite the mammoth size. Imagine being chased by the Midgar Zolom on chocobo back in cinematic full-scale? Damn worm crashing and splashing through the desert behind the fear-filled 'boco, warking all the way. Hell, I'd even settle for a motorcycle. It's more Cloud's style.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Ugh, you mean it's not going to be ATB/turn-based?

It's going to be the pseudo-MMORPG bullshit they've been spewing from FFXII onwards?

Goddamnit. Enthusiasm severely dampened if not entirely squelched.

Edit: If they made it like...an actual action RPG (idk like...Deus Ex or Mass Effect), that would be...interesting, at least.