FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

Liberty
a huge fucking gun capable of destroying a WORLD WIDE THREAT

Man, I almost completely forgot.

And now I cannot wait to see the fucking Sister Ray in HD. That shit will be glorious.
author=Ratty524
I fail to understand why everyone's so hyped about this. I mean I know it's final fantasy but even in this forum?

oh man the most influential rpg of its time and the reason why tons of us even play rpgs is being remade after years of rumors and anticipation

yeah i dont know why people on a site called rpgmaker are excited about it either dude
C'mon guys, instead of quarreling over whether it'll be good or not... let's talk about scenes we wanna see in glorious HD!

How about fighting Emerald Weapon underwater, eh? Or shooting down Diamond? Or the scene with shirtless Sephiroth tearing up the town? Or AERIS BEING SHISHKABOB'D! Oooh! Midgar Zolom! Golden fucking Saucer! HONEY BEE INNNNNNNN!

Oh, Jessie will now be recognisably female! :O
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=CashmereCat
Ratty, I think this discussion is less about hype and more about arguing whether it will be good or not. Such an argument about a series so precious as Final Fantasy brings contrary opinions out of the woodwork quite nicely.

lol. I've neither played the original game nor have I played any of the Final Fantasy games other than the first game and Mystic Quest, so I guess it makes sense that other people would care about where it ends up more than I would. :P
You should play it some time! It's really a great game - there's a reason it's so well-loved. It does have issues, yes, but it's a classic and worthy of the name.

I've been watching a guy do a blind run of it recently and he does a lot of Next Gen games. He's enjoying the hell out of, constantly laughing or just making jokes and being silly. It's great to see someone enjoy something you also enjoyed, years after the fact.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I think we can all agree that a city housing millions of people, requiring nine power plants, with a standing army consisting of thousands of soldiers, with a 100 story tall capital building, that had to be split into eight sectors and requires trains to get around within the city, should probably be kind of huge, at least in the cinematic.

If you actually watch the opening cinematic of FF7, as it zooms out from Aeris to show all of Midgar, you can see pretty clearly that Sector 5 has maybe 20 buildings in it, total. Each of the eight sectors is essentially one city block. I don't really want the in-game areas to get any bigger than they are in the original game - more than that doesn't need to be traversible by the player - but this is a cinematic, so there's no excuse for not showing the scale properly.

It's not like they're really changing the size of the city. They're just making it more consistent. In the original game, the city randomly changed size in different circumstances, based on the gameplay needs, the hardware limitations, and what sounded cool in the story. If you were in a motorcycle chase scene it was a five minute drive from Shinra Tower to the edge of the city, but if you were on foot it was a three minute walk. That level of inconsistency isn't a thing you can justify keeping. It's a plot hole that needs to be fixed.

author=Liberty
C'mon guys, instead of quarreling over whether it'll be good or not... let's talk about scenes we wanna see in glorious HD!
-Honeybee Inn honeygirls
-Honeybee Inn hot tub scene
-Cloud romancing Don Corneo in drag... with voice acting
-Cait Sith
-Red XIII disguised in a sailor's uniform on the Cargo Ship
-Inhaling for five straight minutes until your lungs explode and then breathing it all into Priscilla at once when she needs CPR on the Lower Junon beach
-Jumping on dolphins to reach Upper Junon immediately afterwards
-Barret casting Bad Breath
-Palmer dancing around and then getting hit by a van
-"This guy are sick" voice acted
-The play you get suckered into performing in while on a date in Gold Saucer
-Tifa vs. Scarlet slap-fight on the barrel of the Junon Cannon
author=Liberty

How about fighting Emerald Weapon underwater, eh? Or shooting down Diamond? Or the scene with shirtless Sephiroth tearing up the town? Or AERIS BEING SHISHKABOB'D! Oooh! Midgar Zolom! Golden fucking Saucer! HONEY BEE INNNNNNNN!

Oh, Jessie will now be recognisably female! :O

Honestly, it's strange, because I usually don't care too much about graphics. But FF7's prerendered backdrops and general world design were so beautiful and memorable I can't help but be excited about seeing it all in the highest def fucking possible.

Just beam it directly into my frontal lobe in 16k and I'll be a happy man.

LockeZ
as it zooms out from Aeris to show all of Midgar, you can see pretty clearly that Sector 5 has maybe 20 buildings in it, total.

Reminds me of the Oblivion intro:

That guard would be like 20 feet tall compared to the player. It's the little things like this that really fuck up a game.
I really wanna see the area just before Aeris dies - you know, the shell houses? That was really one of the areas that stuck out to me a lot when playing and I'd love to see it in HD. Hell, like you said, Pizza, the locales in the game were so great that seeing them re-imagined will be amazing.

Another area I want to see is Wutai. And Gold Saucer. And the cave where you see Lucretia. And the ShinRa mansion. And ...all of it. Goddamnallofit. The world had so much character, it deserves a remake.

Hell, the planet itself WAS a character. Also, I forgot Cosmo Canyon.

A-And summoning Bahamut Zero. A-and the space scene. And the planetarium! Aeris' house and church. God, so many things ;.;
Shit, now I just want to play FF7 again. Perhaps I will during my break in Newfoundland.

If I honestly had to pick one area to see in HD above the others (because lets be honest, it's almost impossible to decide) it would probably be the City of the Ancients.

LockeZ
-The play you get suckered into performing in while on a date in Gold Saucer

If they only add one new feature please let it be the ability to perform the play with Barrett.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You can actually see stunning 1080p Shinra Mansion in Dirge of Cerberus. Maybe Lucretia's Cave also? It also added a secret-secret sub-basement to the mansion that was 5x the size of the rest of the mansion, even though the regular basement was already a secret, with the staircase hidden behind a false wall.

The place with the shell-houses was the Forgotten City, aka City of the Ancients; it makes an appearance in Advent Children. Cloud has an aerial treetop boss fight there, which conveniently kept Square Enix from having to render the city at any point during the battle. It appears for real at another point in the movie though.

It actually also looked really good in the original game, due to being completely hand-drawn and not rendered. There's not much difference other than resolution, to be honest.

I'm kind of terrified by this because of the deathly grip of nostalgia, buuuut... I do like Squeenix FF games for completely different reasons to Square FF, so while I am 99% positive it won't be anything like the original game, it will probably still be fun. And pretty. Now that it's been mentioned, I want to see the Forgotten City all spruced up, too.
I meant the area outside of that - where you can rest for the night and where you had to go in the rumour that said you could bring Aeris back to life to feed the fish.

The little shell 'city' where this place was. X3
Also, ancient forest. Oh, and the scene with Nanaki and his dad. ;.;

I know some areas have been added in various other media but fuck that, I want to explore those places with my band of awesome peeps!
I think all those places are included together as the forgotten city.
Yes, but I meant those places in particular. I don't know why, but they always appealed to me for some reason. More than Aeris' death stage (though it was pretty.)
I wanna hear what they do with this.
I kinda wonder if they won't use Crisis Core's engine for this at all. But it'll probably end up like FFXV's battle system. I rather liked Crisis Core's battles, though it did get really repetitive. I have no other opinions on this. Will wait until more information shows up before deciding anything, even though I'll never get to play the game anyways.
Why not? It's not Playstation exclusive - it'll just be released on PS4 first. Which means it's likely that Steam will see a version of it at some point.
Money. Money is always an issue. Especially for someone who can't seem to get a job. >_>;
Knights of the Round will be cool to see.

But what happens when they make it so that you can revive Aerith?