FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I definitely have an expert-level knowledge of Final Fantasy trivia; I mean shit, I'm the administrator of the Unofficial Squaresoft MUD, so I'd goddamn better. I didn't actually know she made the gun-arm off the top of my head though. That bit was on the FF wiki, which is where I got the four pictures from.

FF7: Before Crisis only runs on decade-old models of Japanese pre-smartphones and there's never been a playable English version, not even a fan translation. Also, the gameplay is ultra terrible. So you'll have to forgive my extremely limited knowledge of it.
new gameplay footage, i'm getting hyped

iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=JosephSeraph
Nooj, along with Leblanc & goons, etc. was designed by Tetsu Tsukamoto while mimicking Nomura's style. :^)

So it's actually an imitation of a soulless work? Ouch.

author=LockeZ
I definitely have an expert-level knowledge of Final Fantasy trivia

I can't picture myself having to know spin-off trivia, I don't envy your position.

author=Feldschlacht IV
Square Enix has done some dumb stuff but nothing that dumb.

LOL: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-s-story-could-deviate-from-/1100-6428247/

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Story Could Deviate from the Original"
Guys, let's just chill and enjoy the high for now, okay? We don't know anything much for sure except that rumours are rife and there's a freakin' remake of FF7 coming out. Getting worried over the direction it's taking is silly when there's just so much we don't yet know. Just... enjoy the knowledge for now, eh? There'll be time enough for complaining when more information is out.

Frankly, I don't mind what direction they take it in - it's just nice to see that they listened to their fans and have decided to do this. If I want to play the original game, I own it thrice over so this ain't a lose to me.
author=guy
LOL: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-s-story-could-deviate-from-/1100-6428247/

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Story Could Deviate from the Original"

Uh, except his actual quote doesn't specify that would be the case.

When asked if the remake, in development for PlayStation 4, will follow the Final Fantasy VII narrative exactly or feature new elements, director Tetsuya Nomura gave GameSpot an ambiguous answer.

Tetsuya: "We’ve announced an HD port version on the PlayStation 4, and then we have the remake coming to PS4,” Nomura said through a translator. “You’ll have this extremely, very, very pretty FFVII existing on the same plane. We feel that if that happens, it’s like, why have the same exact game?

“We think that if a game is on a certain platform and that platform becomes obsolete, then we’d recommend playing the new port version."

As far as narrative changes, that might not be all bad either, as long as they stick to the premise, spirit, and flow of the original FFVII, I wouldn't mind some improvements to the original narrative as long as it wasn't too divergent. There's some shit I wouldn't be happy with; keep Genesis role to an absolute fucking minimum for example. But opportunities for improved worldbuilding or storytelling? I'm all for it.

There are some aspects of the original FFVII that are dated at best and broken at worst, and I'm sure as hell not going to pay 50+ bones for the exact same game with upscaled graphics.
and a dressup minigame please
iddalai
author=JosephSeraph
Nooj, along with Leblanc & goons, etc. was designed by Tetsu Tsukamoto while mimicking Nomura's style. :^)
So it's actually an imitation of a soulless work? Ouch.

Seriously? You're gonna accuse the guy's art of being "soulless"? Based on what?

Not liking the guy's work is fine. I'm not a huge fan either. But his artwork is far from soulless. Don't be a fucking asshole.
^curiously enough we seem to forget artists are people and just belittle their work and drag them on the floor like they're nothing, especially when they're famous. xD
It's kinda tch. Hahah~
This guy are sick.

I wouldn't mind a translation update which of course means differences.
author=JosephSeraph
^curiously enough we seem to forget artists are people and just belittle their work and drag them on the floor like they're nothing, especially when they're famous. xD
It's kinda tch. Hahah~

Yeah, I know, and speaking as a (primarily video game) artist myself it's complete and utter fucking bullshit.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
@Feldschlacht IV "it’s like, why have the same exact game?"

That's what bothers me, they may extend that to other aspects of the game.

author=Pizza
Seriously? You're gonna accuse the guy's art of being "soulless"? Based on what?
Not liking the guy's work is fine. I'm not a huge fan either. But his artwork is far from soulless. Don't be a fucking asshole.

Quick with the name calling, huh?

His recent work is soulless: overdetail to hide lack of focus, forgettable, mishmash of features & styles with no identity, generic, razzle dazzle zing bling!

I actually like this earlier stuff (VII, VIII, X).

author=Pizza
Yeah, I know, and speaking as a (primarily video game) artist myself it's complete and utter fucking bullshit.

Ah, that explains the reaction...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=JosephSeraph
Huh. That's kinda weird. The Final Fantasy Wiki lists Nomura as the character designer for FFX-2, and has the art of Nooj on Nomura's biography page. I mean, they're wrong about minor stuff all the time, so I guess the weirdest part is probably that there are two people in Square Enix designing characters like that. One wasn't enough?

I just checked the FFX-2 credits, and Tetsu Takamoto is only listed as designing "alternate costumes." Which I assume means dresssphere job outfits. If he did anything else, he's uncredited for it.

I will choose to believe Nooj and Leblanc are parodying the absurdity of Nomura's style, and Nomura didn't even realize it and thinks they're great.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
The fact of the matter is that Square's house has been on fire for the better part of a decade. Their last MMO flopped big time and the schedule creep on their projects is out of control. They're dropping an FF7 remake now because it's guaranteed money, not out of any creative or artistic desire to remaster the FF7 experience.

I've been saying for a while that Square would only pull out the FF7 remake as a last ditch effort to save themselves form financial ruin. This is their silver bullet. They're only pulling this out because they have nothing left.
>: >: >: *throws money at squenix*
*barely affords to keep on living*

squenix must live

though if it dies it means NO MORE CEASE AND DESIST LETTERS

YOU HEAR THAT

edit: that's so sad of me i'm such a horrible person
i must cry
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
This game might be their Final Fantasy one could say.
Or, alternately, it could be their Final Fantasy.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
The funny thing is, the original Final Fantasy was in fact created under similar circumstances, as a last ditch effort to save a foundering company. That's where the name came from!
author=Soli
I've been saying for a while that Square would only pull out the FF7 remake as a last ditch effort to save themselves form financial ruin. This is their silver bullet. They're only pulling this out because they have nothing left.

Any recent or relevant proof of that?
author=Feldschlacht IV
When asked if the remake, in development for PlayStation 4, will follow the Final Fantasy VII narrative exactly or feature new elements, director Tetsuya Nomura gave GameSpot an ambiguous answer.

Tetsuya: "We’ve announced an HD port version on the PlayStation 4, and then we have the remake coming to PS4,” Nomura said through a translator. “You’ll have this extremely, very, very pretty FFVII existing on the same plane. We feel that if that happens, it’s like, why have the same exact game?

Lol wow, this actually annoyed me a little... Do people really even care about the remaster? I probably stand in the minority as someone who actually enjoys (and has defended) Nomura's artistic vision, but this logic is a slap in the face. Idk maybe I'm jumping the gun, but you'd think the man would have more respect for the game that launched him into a high-profile figure. I really hope he was just being coy here.

I wish Kitase and Sakaguchi could have a more significant role with the structuring and quality-control, and let Nomura handle the aesthetic stuff. Tbh he's often better at generating concepts than effectively executing them in the director role. The development time of KH3 and FFXV speaks for itself... eugh.

If the remake is closer to the spirit of the "FF7 compilation" sequels than the original, a lot of people are going to be disappointed. If they really must shake up the mechanics and battle system, at least include a classic ATB option that's as close to the original as they can get away with. They certainly have the budget for it, and it'd be way less polarizing.
I'm just being pragmatic; the original FFVII was 20 years ago. Do you really think people will pay for the exact same game with better graphics, especially considering how far video games have come? They can keep the spirit of the original FFVII while simultaneously realizing it's modern potential. The original game was...definitely not perfect.