MAFIA GUIDE; HOSTING, SUGGESTIONS, AND DISCUSSION

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
As mentioned over Discord, I'm not the best at Mafia. But I've also not played it much. So I'm game to try, because forum games are good and challenging oneself is also good.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I hope you'll have fun!

Sign-ups are open!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Fun idea : Whoever hosts a Mafia game next should limit the number of posts anyone can make in a day
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Whining about people playing the game. That's not anti-town, at all.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Yellow Magic
Fun idea : Whoever hosts a Mafia game next should limit the number of posts anyone can make in a day

I feel bad that you don't have enough time to play YM, but this is just... no...

There was a time when we had 16 player, 100 page mafia games. The current activity isn't even all that remarkable.
Yellow Magic
And I feel really bad for effectively ruining the game, but please understand that I don't have control over other people dropping out of the game, and unfortunately recent life circumstances meant that I also honestly have no control mean I can't spend an hour or so reading posts.

Hell, Yesterday I got locked out of my own apartment building in the middle of the night after working late. There's no exact way I'm going to read Mafia posts in that scenario

Maybe asking for others to play less is kind of a dick move and I'm sorry about that too. I was a bit frustrated yesterday
Jeroen_Sol
Oof, that's rough. Sorry for getting as disgruntled as I did.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
To be fair, I considered joining the current game, but decided against it because of the possibility of having a mental/emotional breakdown. I remember Cheesecake Mafia, and refuse, absolutely refuse, to go through that again ;_;

For what it's worth, I can't help but to feel sorry for Atiya, Muffle, and YM, but somewhat more sorry for Jeroen.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The idea of having a mental/emotional breakdown over a mafia game is so absurd that I'm convinced all the people who claim it happens to them are faking. It's exactly the same thing as an actor having a mental/emotional breakdown over someone else's character being mean to their character. If you can't distinguish fantasy from reality then you really shouldn't be playing video games, watching TV, or engaging in any other kind of fiction-based activity.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
LockeZ, as much as I understand your perspective, cool it down a few notches. There's no conceivable reason why someone would claim to have a mental breakdown just so they can stop playing a game they signed up for themselves to begin with. And Mafia games can be very cognitively demanding, time-consuming, and stressful, so it's not just about distinguishing fiction and reality.

Besides, such a breakdown could likely be caused not by the Mafia game itself, but by other stress factors in people's lives, simply leaving them unable to play. Not that I think joining a game of Mafia in such a situation is the best choice, but there's no need to get this harsh over it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There are plenty of conceivable reasons, including wanting the attention, wanting to be seen as a victim, and wanting sympathy.
Yellow Magic
LockeZ, as Hermione Granger once famously said about Ron Weasley, "Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have".
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yellow Magic
LockeZ, as Hermione Granger once famously said about Ron Weasley, "Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have".

This is my favorite line in all the books.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'm down like a clown for another round!
author=LockeZ
The idea of having a mental/emotional breakdown over a mafia game is so absurd that I'm convinced all the people who claim it happens to them are faking. It's exactly the same thing as an actor having a mental/emotional breakdown over someone else's character being mean to their character. If you can't distinguish fantasy from reality then you really shouldn't be playing video games, watching TV, or engaging in any other kind of fiction-based activity.

No.
Also, being able to live out things for real, emotionally is actually a draw for people like me who experience things very strongly. It's peeps like me who need breaks, and going at it for a while and being aware of it being ongoing .. that's rough.

I understand you are not the type, doesnt mean they don't exist. At least allow the possibility.

Also, most importantly, as someone who is emotional a lot -it happens. It's not a big deal by itself. There is no need for big sympathies or feeling eternally sorry or putting all the attention on someone. Emotional people are as good at taking care of themselves as others, just give 'em time to spring back. In fact, that "taking a break" IS one of the best ways to take care of yourself. It's still their responsibility, and if they know themselves well enough, they know it.
That assumption about attention is YOURS, and clearly they catch your attention.
Most people hate being victimized or making people worry about them, the same is true for emotional peeps.
Jeroen_Sol
Ky is absolutely right.

author=InfectionFiles
I'm down like a clown for another round!
PA said he wanted to host a game after me. I'll see when he thinks he'll have the setup done. And I understand you want to go again already since you died early, but I personally wouldn't mind a little break of at least a week or so.

Edit: PA wants to focus on exams right now and isn't very far along with the setup yet, so if anyone wants to snipe him that's fine.
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
I have a game lined up with a really cool idea bind it. It's an fully open setup where all players have a role. However all roles can both be town AND scum.

Unlike closed set-ups there is no metagaming required, and unlike open set-ups, mass claiming does not let you find the scum.

Instead anyone that does claim a role will be suspect if they are not using it in the towniest way.

I have a draft role list with some completely new and interesting roles that work especially well in this format. I think you guys will have fun playing with them. Also, I have designed all roles to be useful but not overpowered when they are assigned to a scum player.

Since this is so novel, I need to take plenty of time testing the balance. So I am fine if IF wants to host his game first!
Jeroen_Sol
How would you test the balance? I write simulators in Python, but those don't account for claim strategies and instead just assign a lynch weight to everyone based on whether they're town or scum (scum being 1.2 or 1.5 times as likely to get lynched as town)
I feel that my simulators aren't good enough yet though. I want to include claiming into them, but I don't really know how.
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
All roles could all either be town or scum so it's no use to simulate the percentages in general. It has to be fair in every configuration

My design idea is this: none of the roles will have have a clear positive effect on win-percentage. Most of them are quite subtle and can work against you if used incorrectly, whether you're town or scum.

This way it always feels fair to the players even if it seems several "power roles" fall to scum. It will always be hard for scum to get value out of them.

So with that design, and a reasonable proportion of players, I hope I will be fine. I think I will tip the proportion in favor of town, too.
Jeroen_Sol
With the amount of scum wins we see on rmn, that may not be a terrible decision, haha.

Though town also gets a major advantage if we all decide to restrict scumchat to night phase only from now on.