MAFIA GUIDE; HOSTING, SUGGESTIONS, AND DISCUSSION

Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
Having recently died, I have time to make the post to organize mafia a little better. RMN, or Real Mafia Network, plays games of mafia very consistently. This thread is purposed to consolidate the reused parts of games (rules) and to plan new games.

Standard Mafia Rules (Pasted from the mafiascum wiki):
In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.
At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.
The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.
During the Night, the thread is locked and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.
The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).

Common in RMN Games:
-Mafia have a permanent private chat.
-Hammering
-Plurality lynches
-Town plays awfully

Mafia Glossary:
Scum - a member of the mafia
Townie/Villager - a member of the town, sometimes used to refer to only vanilla town
Vanilla - a player without a special ability; vanilla town and vanilla mafia are both useable
Lylo - short for "Lynch or Lose", the moment at the end of the game where town must lynch mafia or guarantee a loss.
Hammer/Hammering - instantly lynching a person and ending the day by getting a majority of votes on them.
Plurality lynching - a system of lynching where at the end of the day phase the target with the most votes is lynched, regardless of how many votes that person has. Commonly used with hammering.
Majority lynching - a system of lynching where at the end of the day the person with the majority of the votes is lynched. If no one has a majority, no lynch takes place. Usually doesn't use hammering.

Previous Game: Liberty's Anime Waifu Battle Royale

Current Game: Kloe's Klodoka Magicka Mafia

Upcoming Games (In order):
Zeuzio's Mafia
PianoTM's Spy vs. Spy Mafia 2
Frogge's Mafia

Hosting Tips:
Design
author=Blobofgoo
Create mechanics that interact with eachother, but also consider how each role will function if another dies. Especially consider day 1 deaths.
author=Blobofgoo
Be careful creating swingy mechanics. Will a single action cause one side to have a large advantage/disadvantage? (For example, a vigilante sword in the hands of the mafia)

Running the game
author=Blobofgoo
Know what information you will reveal and to who for all actions in the game.
author=Blobofgoo
Don't change any of your rules during the game. It may seem like a good idea at the time, but it will cause incorrect reasoning later in the game.

Tools:
Random Role Assigner
quicktopic.com

Things to discuss here:

-If you would like to host
-Tips for hosting (They will be added to this post)
-Discussing mechanical ideas for new games or the effectiveness of mechanics in past games. What mechanics would you like to see again?
-Settings you would like to see?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Maybe this is too bullshit, and kinda minor in most situations but if a tow role is modkilled for inactivity, could that role be passed on via a RNG "dice roll" to another townie? I know it hasn't happened yet, but it's a pretty lame way for town to lose a role if it happens.
Blobofgoo
It rerolled the vigilante sword in the Ultima game. Xoe started with it. I think it's pretty safe to do. Especially when almost all modkills happen due to inactivity on day one.
InfectionFiles
author=Blobofgoo
It rerolled the vigilante sword in the Ultima game. Xoe started with it. I think it's pretty safe to do. Especially when almost all modkills happen due to inactivity on day one.
This is what I was thinking, actually. So it's something that can be standard? Of course it's based on the moderators choice.

edit: I didn't say it because the vigi sword could be passed along but for permanent roles it would be nice.

to be honest the same can apply for mafia, if one ever is modkiled due to inactivity. a vanilla town is chosen or something.
Blobofgoo
I would just leave it to mod disgression.

Something to ponder, what do you do if you modkill a neutral role (SK/Survivor) or a mafia role? You can't really reroll them as simply.

edit: A town becoming mafia would have to undo whatever they had already done. A town becoming neutral would have to suddenly achieve a different objective.
I've planned for this eventuality before by making an item so that the role passes along in some way, even if it's not the permanent role itself. For example: A lover role where one lover is mod-killed/dropped, I had a plan that would become love letters instead, sent anonymously to one player from the surviving lover - the receiver could reply but wouldn't know to whom they were talking, whilst the surviving lover would know. Another was a poison vial that had 2 deaths in the case that a poisoner was modded out.

That way the benefit of those roles still exist, but without changing the whole dynamic of play for someone (because they can change how they play if a new power is introduced, especially if, say, the person who was mod-killed had already outed their power or used it).

author=Blobofgoo
Something to ponder, what do you do if you modkill a neutral role (SK/Survivor) or a mafia role? You can't really reroll them as simply.
That's actually not too hard - let them be, for the most part. One or two mafia can carry a game by themselves easily enough. If from the start it looks like your mafia might die, give them a one-off protection (say, a dummy that is lynched instead of them, for example). If a neutral is killed off, just let them die. They might make things interesting, true, but unless there's three main factions they won't really be missed. Hell, you can just condense their ability into an item and pass it on.

It does depend on the timing that the kill off happens, though. If you're already a few days in, leaving the status quo as it stands is fair enough. If it's right at the start of the game, you might open up replacements to those who missed the numbers in the initial signing up or draft someone that expressed disappointment at missing out on playing - this works for any role.

InfectionFiles
For mafia, is it ridiculous to say that a member of the mafia could have two actions? whatever the roles may be.

As for neutral, that's a bit tougher. though I feel most vanilla players would be happy to take on the roll I think.
But that's an iffy subject, generally.
InfectionFiles
That's not a bad idea, Liberty. like the vigilante sword or shoddy shield from Blobs Ultima game.

edit: Sorry, I should have edited the above o
post. I'm in mafia game post thinking
author=InfectionFiles
For mafia, is it ridiculous to say that a member of the mafia could have two actions?
No, as long as they're balanced. For example, if you give mafia two night kills with no restrictions, that might be a bit too much depending on the game. It's always going to matter what skills are in the game and how they interact. I played one game where I was a mafia with my own kill ability as well as the mafia choice because my fellows had left/died. This meant I was mafia with two kills, however I also had only myself to rely on, so it made it a bit fairer since I was very outnumbered (though, honestly, my ability to kill should have been numbered or something so I couldn't just spam my power every night. It was a liiiittle OP).

Another thing to consider if you've got to modkill someone is whether or not you'll reveal their role. Sometimes it's best to straight out say from the get-go that modkills won't have roles revealed, so that people are kept guessing what is still in game or not. This keeps the game interesting because they won't know if a role is gone or not (and allows for item usage to still seem to count for a role). That said, I'm an ass when it comes to that and on the fence as to whether it's a good or bad thing to do (it has pros and cons) so it really depends on what you think as a mod.

Also, I advocate letting them know the alignment of the modkilled person, but that's personal taste. If you want, you don't have to tell them shit about the person. It's a valid strategy to keep things interesting.
InfectionFiles
That makes sense, Lib. Funny you've been in the exact situation. If that's the case then maybe if you are mafia and have a nightkill and a second one is out on you then maybe give it a 50% chance.
Though if the case as mafia and you lose someone to bullshit reasons then I guess it depends on abilities, like you said. Mods final say, but it's not so farfetched to allow another mafia the same power they could do anyways.
There's a lot of ways to limit skills if you get creative enough. For example, restricting a secondary kill:
- only usable on nights with an even/odd number
- only usable in defence (so if you're targeted they'll get killed off. it does mean that your SKs become useless against that one mafia member)
- coin flip success
- only works when used on someone with/without a role
- has x amount of uses
- cannot be used if you're being targetted by someone else's power, no matter what that power is
- first use 100% success, second is 75%, third is 50%, fourth is 25%
- must be passed to a townie on use, but will return when they use it

...to name a few
InfectionFiles
That's a good deal of options! I'm content with that.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I would like to host Golden Axe mafia. Got some ideas for it, while reading articles on Golden Axe and responding to cheesecake mafia. It would be extremely beefy.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I've hosted various games on this website, and have the basic rules here that people can just copy-paste under hide tags to use in their own games. Obviously, you should change it wherever you're using non-standard rules.

-----------------------------
What is mafia?
Wikipedia
Mafia (Russian: Ма́фия, also known as Werewolf) is a party game created in the USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986, modelling a battle between an informed minority (the mafia) and an uninformed majority (the townspeople). Players are secretly assigned roles: either mafia, who know each other; or townspeople, who know only the number of mafia amongst them. In the game's night phase the mafia covertly "murder" a townsperson. During the day phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumber the townspeople. A typical game starts with seven townspeople and two mafiosi.

Roles & Rules

Before the game begins, each player is sent a PM assigning him or her a role. The contents of the PM cannot be shared with other players. All roles are assigned randomly. There are two basic types of roles that you can get: Town and Werewolf

Town
If you are part of the town, then your objective is to stay alive and try to find out who the scum are. Since you cannot communicate with other players outside of this thread, you must work together and weed out who is lying and who is not.

Werewolves
The werewolves, on the other hand, have a significant advantage over the town. They can communicate with other mafia members outside the thread during night phase. During the night, they can come together, discuss, and kill a townie. If all goes according to their plan (which it might not), then that townie will be dead -thus cannot post or vote- for the rest of the game.

If all Werewolves are killed, then The Town Wins!
If enough Town-aligned people are killed that the amount of Werewolves is greater than or equal to the amount of Town-aligned people, The Mafia Wins!

Game Structure:
The game starts out in something called a day phase. In this phase, all players who are not dead may participate in discussion as well as vote for who gets lynched (note that you can also vote for no one getting lynched). The day phase will continue until a set deadline has passed or when deciding vote is reached.
Once the day phase is finished, the night phase begins. No one may talk in the thread during this phase, meaning that only players with night actions play a significant role. Night actions are abilities possessed by special roles that can be used to alter the game during the night phase. All night actions, including the Werewolves' kill, will be sent to me via PM(unless otherwise stated). Once the night phase deadline is reached or when all actions are sent in, I will PM everyone involved with their results and then a new day phase will begin. If anyone dies, then that person will be revealed.

Rinse and repeat until the game is over...

The Rules:
1. VOTING: Voting should look like this:
#Lynch Jeroen_Sol or #NoLynch
And if you wish to change your vote, first cancel your earlier like this:
#Cancel
It needs to be bold and with a # in front of it, to make it easier for me to make vote counts.

Hammer rule applies in this game, meaning that once a majority vote is reached that person is lynched and the day phase ends.

2. PARTICIPATE: It's not too fun when half of the players are always missing in action and only have a few posts. Try to post a few times during each day phase and contribute to the discussion in some way. This is also very important for the town's survival. If you don't participate, you are at high risk of being modkilled or replaced.

3. DON'T CHEAT: Although it'd be difficult for me to find out, just don't do it anyway. You'd be ruining the fun of the game. And if I DO find out...

4. IF YOU ARE DEAD, STAY DEAD: This game does not involve zombies. If you die, then don't post anymore. You can still cheer on your team/partner from the sidelines, though. I will make a separate "dead lounge" where dead players can chat (without revealing anything!).

5. EDIT RULE: NEVER EVER EDIT POSTS. If you think your post has awful grammar, just make a new one to correct it.

-----------------------------

Also, seeing as this is turning into the new Mafia Hosts thread, I'd like to advocate this Random Role Assigner courtesy of CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK. It allows you to easily assign multiple instances of the same role, such as Vanilla, to several different players.
Here's a few tips:

Don't expect your players to act the way you want them to. There's going to be a lot of things go wrong from your point of view, even if you've planned to cover all bases - but to them it will be stuff going normal. They won't know that things are going wrong (unless they go monumentally wrong). People will be killed off who you'd planned to last a long way through, someone will out themselves (and others >.> RIP slave girls, never forget) from the get-go, certain players will mess around too much or take the game too seriously. You'll never get the perfect game and you're going to be stressed by how people are playing. That's all part and parcel of having a game where a lot of people interact. Just go with it, try to deal with what pops up but don't get too crazy with the stress.

Make sure your rules are very clearly defined for everyone. If you need to reiterate them a few times in progressively simplistic language, then do so. Rule of thumb is to make it easy enough for a 5 year old to understand, where possible. Also make it clear in your role PMs that your people can ask you via PM if they need to know something. It may seem apparent, but just letting them know they can ask you helps them -think- to ask you.

You're going to be a bit biased at some point. Someone will get through by the skin or their teeth or someone will do a magnificent play and you'll be super excited and cheer them on. This is fine, just don't favour them above the others. Bias is gonna creep in, just make sure you recognise it when it does and don't allow it to mess with your interactions.

Try not to verify everything everyone asks about, especially if it's something that can confirm/deny something. It can be hard to draw that line or even see it when someone asks something you'd think was pretty much a non-issue, but some people see plays in everything and it can ruin their theories to have something confirmed or denied. That said, it is up to you to make the choice to do so and some things can really be banal or do need to be explained a bit better for people to understand. Just keep in mind that some people do like to have wild-ass theories popping around and you might burst their bubbles.

Don't change rules retroactively or introduce new ones that weren't already hinted at from the start. Seriously. It just fucks with your players' heads and makes them not trust you... and you need them to be able to trust you.

Biggest rule - try to keep it as simple as you can. You can have complex systems just dumb them down as much as possible. Take it from someone who had fucking minigames in her RP 'find the prince' game (which also had a ton of items and random variables and choices for everyone to make and secret santa and... orz) - make it simple or you're going to get grey hairs.

Have fun. It's incredible being a host especially when you can see all the plays going on around you. I'd recommend having your own room where you just blab on and on about how x wasn't expected and how you thought y was doing this and how z and v almost got caught in a trap, but p got them out of it and... etc. Sort of a commentary you can throw up after the end of the game so they can see just how it affected you as well. There's going to be a lot of memorable, mind-losing moments so sit back and enjoy them. X3
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
^ Very much all of that.

Also, games can get quite overwhelming with the amount of posts and votes you have to keep track of. It's very useful to be organized, and keep a text or excel file to note down all relevant info. This will help you keep track of who's who as well as make it easier to make votecounts.
^That.

Also, one easy way to look for votes is to make it clear that without the # or appropriate symbol their vote won't count. THEN make use of the in-browser search feature/s to look for that symbol only. This way you will jump straight to the posts that have votes in them without having to read every goddamn post (also, you can easily search for your name this way in case there are questions to answer). >.<)b

And could I be slotted in for a mafia game: RPG-based Mafia, where people can make a character with a skillset and the roles are based on that.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
How about a Zero Escape based game?. While players would have to figure out the "Zero", or the Mafia, they would also have to solve multiple room puzzles, or a death penalty will occur.
Blobofgoo
Sounds possible. Mafia would have to justify why they're not helping solve the puzzles. Unless the "trap" could kill mafia too.

Game balance would be difficult. You'd have to estimate how many times town would be able to solve the puzzles.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
They wouldn't have to justify why they're not figuring out the puzzles any more than they'd have to justify why they're not trying to help figure out who's scum. It's a matter of making people believe you were wrong on accident instead of on purpose. Seems like it'd work really well.

However, I don't know what you mean by "room puzzles" in the context of a text-based forum game.