WOW, THE OFFICIAL RPG MAKER SITE FORUM RULES ARE..... WOW!

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=mawk
author=Sooz
Why would you feel stifled by not talking about non-gammak topics on a gammaker forum?
because games don't exist in a vacuum and the way they both influence and are influenced by the social context they come from (including, yes, political
subjects) is one of the most interesting aspects of this (or any) medium to me

I can imagine a better venue for such discussions, however. There is only so much fruit you can get in an area where the usual topic is "How do I do Thing?" or "Which character is best character?"

Like IDK about you but I find having to repeat 101 discussion with strangers to be super unfulfilling.

author=Kloe
I'd laugh if on RMW there was a topic saying "Hey!! RMN is talking about us!!"

This would be the best thing.
author=Cap_H
Every time, I search for something over at RMW, the thread is moved, closed or there is some other visible form of moderation.

I guess this might be why I post so infrequently on RMW. I'm always afraid my thread's gonna get locked or moderated for some reason I never even thought of.

Strict forums are unnerving.
author=Sooz
I can imagine a better venue for such discussions, however. There is only so much fruit you can get in an area where the usual topic is "How do I do Thing?" or "Which character is best character?"

Like IDK about you but I find having to repeat 101 discussion with strangers to be super unfulfilling.
I definitely get this, but I think that's more a symptom of the fact that that kind of discussion still isn't super common in a lot of places. it isn't that people are incapable of it -- they're just not used to applying these kinds of lenses. I think that encouraging more critical analysis of games is something that can only have a positive effect on the games people make.

besides, like, what's a better place to talk about games than a community of game creators?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm just sayin, in every single general gammak space I've seen, any kind of thread about criticism beyond the suuuuper mainstream, TVTropes-style stuff always goes in one direction, and that direction is 101-level education in between people getting their dander up.

Like if that's your bag, cool I guess? But for me, I'd rather find spaces more dedicated to in-depth criticism in general and discuss there. Most of my crit-style discussions happen with individuals or in more private venues.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
It's the official forums of Degica. To maintain their image, they are going to have a strict set of restrictions on what people say or do on the boards because an "off-topic" (which is, IMO, very subjective when dealing with a medium like games) thread or debate is bound to make the company itself seem unprofessional.

That's pretty much how it is for the official boards of most companies, really. In spite of that, what mawk mentioned about such a system being susceptible to leaving bigotry unpunished holds true. I was recently banned from a game forum for calling someone out on being an elitist jerkwad towards a casual player.
Jesus.... I came back from work and this sure as hell blew up.

Well, you might as well ban me :). I broke two rules in that first sentence.

EDIT: @ Ratty, dude are you serious, what site?
Sooz
I don't think saying "damn" once counts as excessive swearing outside of like the Fellowship Hall at church. What are you, third graders?
It's kinda a kiddy zone, yeah. It's pretty active, has a lot of people, and they have a lot of things going on, but the community overall is something that's really specialized and doubled down by the mods. It's great for certain things, but I wouldn't settle there for my main hangout spot. It is pretty restrictive.

Now, if we could match their activity... (we're not far behind, though!)
Lol from what I see on their forums we are the very opposite of their rules, which by the way I love that. People can call us what they want but I absolutely enjoy the diversity of people we have here.
author=Sooz
I don't think saying "damn" once counts as excessive swearing outside of like the Fellowship Hall at church. What are you, third graders?

I've been found out!
Sooz
author=kentona
author=Sooz
I've been found out!

SUDDENLY IT ALL MAKES SENSE!
I like both very strict rules and no rules at all.

Sometimes I just want to seriously and professionally discuss about something without anybody attacking me, because I don't share their opinion.

And sometimes I just want to write something really controversial that makes everybody upset and consequently gets a lot of attention; because I don't have any real life friends.

I once was in a game journalism forum that was really great. Nowhere else I could ever do so much in-depth analysis of game design and even though everybody had a different opinion, people where actually interested about different opinions rather than being all like "You're wrong".
That same forum also had a hidden (from unregistered users) forum that didn't have any rules and that place was probably the craziest place I've ever been in. People talked about things you usually wouldn't even talk with your wife about. It was great to be able to freely speak your mind and write down really crazy hypotheses.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Despite the size of RMW, I don't see it as a community, like, say, RMN. I see it as a place to discuss the product they're selling. Where as this is a site for enthusiasts who use many products for the same end.

or for weirdos like me, who don't use anything and just stuck around anyway.
Sooz
I think the fact that we are so eensy is what makes RMN more of a community. Lot easier to form social bonds when there's the same faces all the time.
Personally, I enjoy the smaller numbers here than other forums I've browsed. Feels much friendlier. There are rules here, but they're common sense and flexible, I'd say.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

According to the RMN Welp forum rules, this is an actual rule posted at the top.

"No random threads with no rhyme or reason."

This might actually impact over 50% of the threads on RMN.
this has already been mentioned by other people in the thread, but it does bear repeating that these are two forums with fairly different purposes and backgrounds. an official forum, representing the public image of a company and the link between it and its customers, is naturally going to have things locked down a bit more tightly. RMN is very loose by comparison, but that's because the idea here is that it's just an extended group of friends and enthusiasts.
i think that most of them are good except the few last ones. do not anger the gorilla? i don't even think that the rule is taken as a serious matter anymore...
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=kory_toombs
According to the RMN Welp forum rules, this is an actual rule posted at the top.

Even the goofy ones have reason or rhyme.
Morelike, don't start a whole thread titled 'hi' and the OP be like ' Just wanted to say hi~"
What's the point in that? Make a status. Post in 'What Are You Thinking' etc. Don't make a thread with no rhyme or reason
Sooz
author=aquatorrent
i think that most of them are good except the few last ones. do not anger the gorilla? i don't even think that the rule is taken as a serious matter anymore...

In fairness, it's generally a bad idea to anger gorillas.

author=kory_toombs

Maybe it's meant to forbid posts that look like this.