WOW, THE OFFICIAL RPG MAKER SITE FORUM RULES ARE..... WOW!

author=Liberty
Besides, it has some pretty neato features too. Granted, no gamepages and their front page is kinda lacking, but some good stuff. I mean, their resource and script sections put ours to complete shame (granted, we didn't focus on those sides of the site much, but still) and they do allow for personal blogging, too (not game blogging, but personal blogs, which is pretty nice

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I've been pushing so hard to get some of those features here; they've really seemed to benefit from it, and that's part of what I mean by sister sites learning from each other.
author=Liberty
^
Granted, no gamepages and their front page is kinda lacking

They were doing Free Games Packs last year that showcased some of the best free games RM has to offer, but they only put two out before it fell by the wayside. It would be pretty great if they started those up again, to have more developer-centric content on the main site. I really loved those.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, personal blogs are neat.
I think ReStuff helps a lot with resources. it keeps artists around.
author=SgtMettool
Packs
These were neat. But I think it was more than two years ago as I started playing these after obtaining the engine.
Were they? I thought they were more recent than that. Either way, I hope they make a comeback.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Feldschlacht IV
I think it's a bad look for this topic to devolve into 'wow RMW' sucks, because it doesn't.

I don't think it counts as "devolving" if the topic p. much starts out that way. :V
Odd coincidence that I just happened to be looking at RMN today.

Eh, most of the rules exist so that we can point at them if things become an actual problem. Being official forums, literally, people will try to call up the home office to complain about things that happened on the forum. It is nice to be able to go "hey, look, there was a rule, they broke it."

And yes, we try to keep the topics to either games or rather light discussions, because that is our focus. Politics and religion can be discussed as it relates to game design, (There was actually a really long discussion of sexual politics and its connection to game design once), but general politics discussions have just proven to be more stress than they are worth.

You also have to remember that RMW probably skews much lower in age than RMN does. Discussing politics on RMW is like trying to discuss it on Facebook. Ultimately pointless yelling passed each other.

Not only that, anyone who has ever talked to me outside of me acting in a work capacity should know that my level for "excessive swearing" is pretty damn high.

Also, it is just a generally good rule to not anger gorillas.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
Hey, I've been a member here since before RMW was a thing :P.
author=Touchfuzzy
Hey, I've been a member here since before RMW was a thing :P.

I'd love for us to work together more!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
LOL thread necromancy

Although having seen what happens when something vaguely political gets posted* I am super in favor of any "no politics" rules in fora dedicated to a particular subject. It never results in anything productive, unless you count eventual parody statuses.

*A lot of maximum feelings and minimum communication
I don't think that the presence of feelings in those discussions is a bad thing -- these are issues where, often, the people most qualified to speak on them speak from personal experience, which makes emotionless and impartial treatment even more of an impossible ideal than usual.

there's a lot to be said, of course, about nuance and jargon and how impenetrable and frightening high-level discussion of these subjects can seem to someone who isn't familiar with the discourse, and that's something that I wanna pay more attention to myself in the future.

author=Touchfuzzy
(There was actually a really long discussion of sexual politics and its connection to game design once)

I'd be interested to read this, actually, though given the demographic differences you mentioned there might not be much there that gets as indepth as the subject often deserves.

(though it's not like things can get indepth here without bad things happening, so maybe age demographics have nothing to do with it.)
Sooz
If people are getting upset at each other, they're usually not listening or communicating well. Also it tends to generally make the rest of the thread unhappy, and lowers the quality of life for the forum in general.

There are great venues for discussion of charged topics. Unless it's specifically related to gam mak or gam pla, I really feel like an RPGmaker forum is NOT one of them.

(Probably even then.)
author=Sooz
Unless it's specifically related to gam mak or gam pla, I really feel like an RPGmaker forum is NOT one of them.

This comes up sometimes, but I really don't believe in stifling the conversation. I've been here since the beginning and I've gained more in my game making from personally getting to know people here than just talking shop all of the time.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
we could all use more touchfuzzy in our lives. i have no idea if he knows who i am but i know who you are
Sooz
author=Feldschlacht IV
This comes up sometimes, but I really don't believe in stifling the conversation. I've been here since the beginning and I've gained more in my game making from personally getting to know people here than just talking shop all of the time.

I mean, I see your point, but I feel like there are a lot of subjects to get to know people in that don't also result in giant drama clusterfucks that upset everyone.

Also there's nothing stopping people from advertising their social media accounts, where screaming cagematches over politics are expected and sometimes encouraged.

Basically I just feel like "polite company" rules are a good idea. (With regard to choice of subject and not much else, mind you.)
I mean, yeah. while I personally feel that political and social subjects should be things that game discussion can flow organically in and out of, that's definitely me being a bit idealistic -- we're not there yet as a community (that is, the broad people-tangential-to-games community), though we might be someday. the discussions that it's possible to have around games are already way more varied and mature than they were five years ago.

that said, I don't think that this sort of change is going to happen on its own, and I'm going to continue pushing that envelope where it seems reasonable. a lack of conflict isn't necessarily ideal to me, because often things stay unspoken that might deserve to be heard.
Honestly, I don't think we had as many rules when we first started. Most of them were reactions to pretty nasty situations, that were difficult to deal with while also being the public face of official RPG Maker.

Religion as a topic got closed off because of people either stealth using religion to bash LGBT or Atheists bashing Religion or basically every other Religion discussion that wasn't really about Religion.

Politics and Nationalism was done in the same time period I believe, and was a result of a cacophony of threads and posts derailed by... a certain person who was either legitimately or just satirically frighteningly "America Fuck Yeah". I've never figured out which.

Those kind of things on a fan forum are one thing, dealing with that on the official forums is... a different beast.

And I remember you, Craze :P.

Oh, and the gorilla is an old joke rule. I added it on the rules back when I was left in charge of RMVX.net as a rule to point to when someone just did something egregious that didn't really hit any other rule. And I kept it when moving over to RMW, because I'm not a robot and it makes me giggle.
Meh, I have no issue with the rules on RMW; seems fine to me for an official forum. The thing that does bother me about their forums is how much of a fucking mess they are. It's such a pain to do post editing that involves quotes and spoiler tags. Just a simple 'show code' would fix at least 50% of my problems, lol. I can't even properly post anything when I'm visiting there on my tablet. Status updates at the side of the screen show only 2 short lines of text before being cut off (also, no way to unsubscribe from a status update?) Limited options for jumping to the last post in a thread; a lot of the times, I'm forced to go to first page, then click last page and scroll down.
Their old forums were so much better.
author=Milennin
Their old forums were so much better.

It's the same forum software (IPS). Unfortunately IPS sucks and removed preview+bbcode editor :V

And unfortunately, you cannot stay with the old due to security reasons.
Sooz
author=ubon
a lack of conflict isn't necessarily ideal to me

I mean, yeah, everyone knows that already.

I will repeat that my interest is not a lack of conflict, but a lack of particular conflicts that lead to no good end when they occur in this venue. The option to take a discussion to either PMs (where you don't get cheerleaders and derailers jumping in) or offsite (where only those interested in the conversation are likely to find it) exists.

I've been on the internet in a variety of spaces long enough to understand that bringing up controversy in a general area is mostly going to end up with polarized sides gettin mad at each other, and nobody really changing their mind because of that. (And a chunk of the audience stressed out via contact with the aggression.)

But I have said this all repeatedly, so I should probably drop out, because the thread is old and no longer funny and also I don't care what a site I don't use does about its rules.