OFFICIAL IGMC 2017 TAKING PART THREAD (BETTER THAN REVIVER) EXTRAVAGANZA 2,000,000

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=GreatRedSpirit
It doesn't have to be an hour long, that's just the baseline maximum time a judge will play it. It's acceptable if you make Secret Final Warrior of Ice and it's a 10 hour game, but the first hour better be good because that's what is going to be judged.

It appears that you are judged if it extends past 1 hour, tho.

author=Craze
a one-hour rpg with a month to make it? lol. any time i try to make a two-hour game it becomes ten hours long. seems stupidly arbitrary for RPG MAKER

Yeah, seems lame.

I can understand that placing an onus on judges to play a shitton of RPGs to (near) completion would be overwhelming, hence the hour long limit, but still, I mean, this is an RPG Maker contest, you gotta expect there to be RPGs, and RPGs tend to be long.
I'm gonna try to participate for once. If anybody wants a coder or writer, hit me up.
The real deal is that you'll want to polish up what you make to high heaven, so having a shorter game is much better to aim for that absolute polish.

Also, 1 hour is what we judges HAVE to play, however if a game is engaging enough, we'll likely play over that hour. I mean, probably not a full 20 hours of gameplay, but definitely if it keeps your interest, about double that. I remember last time I played a few games that went past the 2 hour mark because I couldn't put them down. That's fine.

We just have to judge based on the first hour, so if you do make a really long game, make sure that first hour is the most exciting, interesting, polished part of the game.

The hour mark comes from there only being so many hours in the day and the past IGMCs have had games in the hundreds (almost thousand) to trawl through. If we had to play every single game for more than an hour (and let me tell you, there's a fair few that go past that mark... especially the ones that will in no way ever win a prize) we'll be there til January. And we kinda want the judging finished at least before Christmas. XDDD
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah that's all common sense. it's just fucking weird for rpg maker. you can make an engaging 1-hour rpg yeah, but it's not what the genre's usually destined for. maybe have a team that weeds out the obvious bad shit for the real judges?

i'd never expect the judges to play a fucking 20-hour rm* game for a month-long contest, but it just seems unnecessarily bizarre to limit a genre that typically requires a good stretch of time to really expand its mechanics.

and, like, it's also a genre where time spent can vary wildly. libby might talk to every single npc twice, whereas lockez might rush through and only go to the shops in a settlement and technically get through more within an hour. again, not all rpgs have that town/dungeon/repeat formula, but it just... really weirds me out that it's an arbitrary rule that seemingly doesn't take the engine and its intended genre into account.

if there were a theme or set of stricter guidelines that helped make shorter games, like when we did the 3x3x3 event, that would be fine. (maybe i'll just remake that imp game, libby, since you got so into it...) really bad taste in my mouth for this event though, and that's coming from somebody who, as you well know, participates in a lot of gam mak events.
I feel I should make a game with custom music and fully animated custom art which goes on for about an hour, then slowly degrades in quality. The art becomes crappier, the music becomes one track looping over and over, and eventually the graphics devolve into RTP and stick figures.

But yeah I think I'm gonna' try to make something for this jam. Realistically, I'm not gonna' win the $10,000, but I have a better chance at winning it than not participating at all.

author=Craze
(maybe i'll just remake that imp game, libby, since you got so into it...)

You should, that game was fun. I played the crap out of it, and posted my highest number of completed floors. Libby had to go and beat me to prove a point. Time well invested. I'd like to see more of it, and try to get the highest score on the forums.
Craze
heh.

do we know the judges, out of curiosity?
ESBY
extreme disappointment
Libby, Volrath, Al Sin & Archeia from the looks of it.
Wow, I guess I'd be starting this really late. :( Not very well advertised was it?
Representing RMN! (also r/rpgmaker, where I'm a mod... so, two places?)
And it's up!
https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190127

I submitted the game here, but it's still pending. Hopefully the page can go up here in the next few days.
I put mine also up! °w°
Here too, but it's also still pending.:D
https://lucy-fox.itch.io/once-upon-a-spirit
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
That looks awesome, djbeardo!
Craze
I'm proud of y'all~<3 I didn't have the willpower to do anything but I did plan out alot of stuff! ^.^ Maybe I'll make that game one day. I'm glad I could be a tester for Indrah and co at least.
I made something for the IGMC, but I'm so embarrased by the state in which I submitted it that I'm going to let it remain in obscurity until I can turn it into something that actually qualifies as a game.
Star Child - IGMC Page

Me and Inazuma's entry! On itch, and now on here - funny thing actually, it should've been on here earlier but it got denied the first time because I was like 'ehhh the description is kinda short but a lot of games on this site have a desc. more or less this length so I'm sure it's fine' (it wasn't)

oh well, not that it matters much but lesson learned either way lmao
Late to the party but I was only able to finish the demo for my game even though I had the whole dialogue script written out. Oh well, I'll finish it after judging is over.

That Which Binds Us Itch.io Page
I have things to say to certain people once the judging is over. >:O
author=Liberty
I have things to say to certain people once the judging is over. >:O

A friendly ribbing thing, or is someone in serious trouble!? (What did you do in your game Craze? I wouldn't recognize any inside RMN jokes that would set someone off.)
Friendly ribbing, don't worry. XD
And how did you know who I wanted to talk to? ARE YOU IN MY HEAD?!
Pages: first prev 123 next last