{

if someone askes what thread is about
{

ThreadMakesSense = still false;

}

}

}

Compile Errors all over the place.

That's some highly unfair statement. I have made it clear to everybody that it is an ENGINE. So you come to a thread like this one and get either the source code or grab some binary files for Linux or even the latest version for Windows (7 thorough 10) and use it to play ANY RPG Maker Games that had been published or developed since XP. All versions of RGSS, namely 1, 2 and 3, are supported!

Obviously, you'd also need to include some DLLs or SO files depending on your OS. Don't worry! I've already provided all the DLLs people need to run it on Windows. The last build for Windows was released on December 6th, 2019.

For Linux, especially Ubuntu and Kubuntu distros, you can grab the ZIP file I have uploaded a couple of minutes ago, also on December 6th. The so files gotta be downloaded via the apt / apt-get package manager.

All Download Links can be found on the first post of this thread!

You gotta understand this is a REPLACEMENT of Game.exe!

It has been compiled against Ruby 2.6! This means it uses the latest version of the Ruby scripting language!

It runs fast, you can even increase its FPS up to 120 or so. It also handles a lot more events that the default implementations of RGSS!

Even so, it also provides additions to RGSS (all versions) that cannot be found in XP nor VX nor VX Ace. Like script calls to use mouse clicks as you'd use any other button. Actually HiddenChest includes FULL KEYBOARD SUPPORT!

You can flip images vertically and horizontally, you can invert an image's colors in a second (or even less). You can use most of RGSS3 features in games that are supposed to only use RGSS 1 or 2.

It DOES offer a lot of ADVANTAGES!
Update

I come back to let you all know I have uploaded the latest versions of the HiddenChest game engine binaries for both Windows and Linux!

They have been compiled on December 6th, 2019 and I have also updated Ruby's DLL, the engine now uses Ruby version 2.6.5 to run on both Linux and Windows!

All of the executables offer the same set of extra features I've been talking about for months!

Believe me when I tell you it runs faster than Ruby 1.8.
author=kory_toombs
ThreadMakesSense = still false;
From what I can tell, HiddenChest is like EasyRPG, but for XP, VX, and VX Ace.

It replaces the .Exe, adds in a few new features, runs on Linux as well as Windows, and improves the performance of the game.

EDIT: Allegedly. Haven't bothered trying it for myself.

Well, you got it right, Sidewinder. It actually does all such incredible stuff while running on Ruby 2.6.5!

I have confirmed it runs on Windows 7, 8.1, 10 (64 bit), several Linux flavors like Ubuntu and Kubuntu 64 bit, and Fedora 31. I have uploaded the corresponding packages to my mediafire account already.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The thread title alone makes it seem like its a script or a tutorial on how to make treasure chests hidden from the player.

Maybe call it = RPG Maker Ruby X Engine.
Short Summary = Improves RPG Maker XP / VX / Ace.
Bullet Point List of improvements here.
How to use it here.
I cannot use RPG Maker as part of its name, that's out of question since it's a trademark or brand. Even so I've been telling everyone it's a game engine from the very beginning. =_= I've also told people it DOES run XP VX and VX Ace games.

The problem was that some people are just lazy and don't wanna read more than a couple of lines or a single paragraph. And there are guys like kory_toombs that just make fun of other people's projects instead of asking simple questions...

Now that the main post includes a link to the GitHub project and a download section, it should be easy for people to find out what HiddenChest actually is. They can test it on their own PC's at any time.

The list of improvements can be found on the GitHub repository... It has grown large over the past year...

Anyway, the information I've included there should explain it all from now on. I guess posting data after midnight had a terrible side effect on the thread... Gotta sleep a lot more to prevent it from ever happening again. XD
HiddenChest Engine Now Include a Few Brand New Features

Now you can use methods like...

• Sprite.set_xy(x, y)
  • Input.press_all?(Input::C, Input::B, Input::X)
  • Input.press_all?(:C, :B, :X)
  • Input.press_all?(some_array)
  • Input.trigger_any?(Input::C, Input::B, Input::CTRL)
  • Input.trigger_any?(:C, :B, :CTRL)
  • Input.trigger_any?(some_array)

Besides now all binaries for Windows and Linux might start in fullscreen mode if their resolution matches your OS's. (Before this update I had only seen Windows binaries do that on their own.)

Keep in mind that Window.set_xy(x, y) also exists so take advantage of it.

There were some other minor changes in the main code.
Have You Ever Noticed...

That in RPG Maker MV you can increase a text's outline thickness or size? In VX Ace that was impossible, its thickness was always 1 pixel only.

Well, now in HiddenChest Engine Any RGSS 1 2 or 3 based game can get an outline as thick as you ever need it!

Some Screenshots I've Taken That Proves That

So...

• this is a game engine
  • it is built off of the basic chassis of RPG Maker XP
  • it is also "compatible" with VX and VXA
  • the purpose of this "engine" is to provide a way to run ("emulate") RM games on platforms that normally don't support them, obscure nerdy stuff like Ubuntu and Linux and whatever
  • it is not a development tool or editor, just an engine
  • it has no official support or acknowledgement from Enterbrain or Kadokawa (note, IDGAF, I'm just clarifying for people who do give a shit)
  • something something something about colors that I really don't understand

You're working on a windows version but I don't know why as I don't know what the advantages are of this over game.exe in Windows.
Not just working on a Windows version, it already exists! It's been available for quite some time. Nope, Ubuntu isn't an obscure OS, actually it's quite the opposite in the Linux community. Along with Debian, they try to partake in all kind of server side stuff, too, just as the well known RedHat does.

It doesn't emulate games, it runs them! It's not like some SNES game where you get a ROM and look for an emulator to reproduce it and get scalability issues and so on. HiddenChest does allow you to modify them by adding a long list of features, call it a RGSS4 of sorts. Or call HiddenChest a REWRITE.

It is not a development tool... up to some point, thanks to the so called "RGSS4" additions, it does let you modify your games. Hey! You get a thick outline! You can open windows in RGSS1 games a la VX Ace or even open them sideways! You can run your game in a custom resolution like 800*600 or even 1920*1080! Yes, a HiddenChest default script called Map Fixes lets you fill the whole area with any of your favorite tilesets! It handles a lot more events than any official RM engine.

No, it's not build off any chassis of any kind. RGSS data files are just compressed Ruby files, nothing else. It just reads them as any other Ruby application would do it. Thanks to SDL2 and some other libraries, it also loads images. It doesn't call RGSS105E.dll or any other RGSS dll. It uses Ruby 2.6's DLL or SO (shared object for Linux).
So my understanding is that this is an interpreter built off of XP and can run any of the engines on RGSS1, 2, and 3. So XP, VX, and VXA.

I think anyway.

There's just so many programming terms and so much tech jargon thrown around in this thread that I'm having difficulty figuring out what exactly this thing -does-. You gotta keep in mind that lot of us on this forum (and the greater RPG Maker community as a whole) are hobbyists and aren't exactly hardcore coders, and your project could definitely benefit from more concise communication.

Whatever this is sounds impressive and you've clearly put a lot of work into it, but I really suggest taking the time to organize a thorough and comprehensive OP in simple English that your users can understand. Because one year and two forum pages later, most of us are still scratching our heads.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think what you could really use is a video explanation. Download your thing, show people how to set everything up, and what sorts of things it does.
Pages: first prev 12 last