PS1 CLASSIC, ANYONE?

Pages: first prev 123 last
...Just wanted to add a small thing to this. frank cifaldi owner/founder of the video game history foundation,
mentioned the psclassic back in 2019; it wasn't great but with the fan mods he said it was a good start (time stamped)

For anyone whose still poking around with this, I wanted to mention (I know I mentioned this in the archive thread), there's this great program out now, called Memcard Rex, that's sort of like a swiss army knife for PS1 save files. PS1, PS3,PSP, dex etcetera -if you have it, this program will convert it for you.

However I discovered a small drawback to the PS1 classic:. Normally, starting with the psp to ps1 emulation; you'd get a set of two memory cards for a total of 30 save files; But on the PS1 classic, you only get one. To fix this, you can access the second memory card if you use the Triangle+Select trick and go under Extra and change it to memory card 2 - just thought I'd mention this to anyone wondering whether it's still worth picking up; if you can find a PS1 below $60, It's pretty great for catching up on what was arguably the golden era of jrpgs here in the west, but you'll have to grab a 64gb sandisk memorystick to get the most out of it.
If you want to play PS1 I would just get the original. It would probably be more nostalgic and I've seen them going for ~$30. You could just burn the games onto CD-R and do that disc swapping trick to play them.
Very interesting video. Thanks you LordBlueRouge for sharing it ! The speaker makes some very valid statements in that video and his previous one:

"No emulator has ever been ruled illegal in a court of law."

"Nintendo downloaded Super Mario Bros. from the internet and sold it to you."

"By demonizing emulation instead of embracing it, we've devalued our heritage."
OK, the speaker makes two very valid statements:

"No emulator has ever been ruled illegal in a court of law."

"By demonizing emulation instead of embracing it, we've devalued our heritage."
Thanks for the kind words Irog ♥
half the time I don't know if anyone reads this stuff, so it's very cool to hear that you enjoyed it.

Yeah, I've been following cifaldi's work since his brief stint at 1up.com. He's like a former NES ROM pirate/dumper/hacker, turned video game journalist, turned video game preservationist? Unfortunately, most of the work that he did at 1up.com was lost. But he had a hand in acquiring and dumping Earthbound Zero, the very cool never released Bio-Force Ape and a handful of other recent stuff as you've probably seen from the video like the recent Megaman Legacy Collection.

Very cool find Darken!

Yeah, one of the more interesting things, that came about from following "video game history" is trying to find what's actually true about video game history? Like the creator of Pac-man gives two different interviews about the creation of the character, 30 years apart? Currently, Cifaldi is trying to figure out where, similar to the quote:

“Donkey Kong Country proves gamers will put up with mediocre gameplay if the art is good"
(which has been debunked)

He's now trying to figure out where the "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad," came from. A lot of this stuff, is like broken telephone with the press. Like the woman in the McDonald's Hot Coffee lawsuit of the 90s, we often want to rewrite stories to what actually sounds good, because that's what we want to remember, even though it's not actually true.

I dunno, it's interesting to think about.
Pages: first prev 123 last