HAS ANYONE USED SRPG STUDIO?

Pages: 1
unity
You're magical to me.
SRPG Studio, an engine that promises to allow you to make Fire Emblem and other tactics type games, has a big sale on Steam that's tempting me, but while the reviews for it are mostly positive, many admit that the English support and documentation for the game are very poor and that you can't make more than a straightforward SRPG with it.

I was wondering if anyone here had purchased it? Was it easy to use? Does it seem like something worth investing in, even at sale price?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
We were just talking about this yesterday on rmn discord haha.

Delsin's the one who's used it the most, dyhalto also has it which is to be expected since he's the master of SimRPG95.

Personally I decided to skip on it. After reading reviews and talking to peeps, it seems it is a decent engine to use if you want to make games that are almost exactly like fire emblem. Any and most gameplay customization is done via coding, though there are some "plugins" made by the community around. The translation of the engine is very very dodgy.

A problem the engine seems to have is the lack of available resources for it online. The engine comes with very little variety in the RTP, with most of the extra content being peddled as dlc, kind of like if an rpg maker decided to put each file in the Battlebacks folder as a $5 bucks dlc for example. According to some reviews, it seems it comes with little to no documentation either.

I suggest you check out the reviews and the forums on steam to see what people say about it. I'd also ask Delsin.
Delsin is the foremost expert at this time in it. I asked her after I brought it about things. It's an alright engine if you make your own graphics or plan to use RIPs which is what I was going to do. I haven't circled back around to it because I already have a list of things I want to work on.

But yeah, ask Delsin in short.
I have it. Still learning how to use it. It's like a stronger Sim RPG Maker 95 and has a pretty steep learning curve because things are not set up to work in a way that RPG Maker veterans would be familiar with.
author=Mirak
dyhalto also has it which is to be expected since he's the master of SimRPG95.

I was one of the first 100 downloads :j

But... I'll stick to Sim RPG Maker 95. It's been awhile, but I remember my primary complaints being...
1) Unfriendly user interface. Commands and other things aren't where you'd expect them to be. For example, Esc doesn't back out of certain menus when it should obviously do so. Small quirks like that, but they add up.
2) Making your own graphic resources has a steep learning curve and is tedious when you do figure it out. Also, like others have said, there's a major lack of resources out there. One of our community's fine sprite artists could probably make mad bank if they were to design one for it.
3) Eventing is a boondoggle. I can't really describe why. You have to try it for yourself to see how dysfunctional it is. It'll suffice for when you want to make the Killer Edge swordsman join the player's team, but don't attempt anything fancy without intent to code Java.

It's not a bad program persay. You just have to want to use SRPG Studio to make a game. Luxaren Allure II could be made in MV, VX Ace, or even good ol' 2k3 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). An SRPG Studio game is meant to make SRPG Studio games.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Personally, I've cooled off from wanting to make tactics games. Though, part of that is because I've used Gudbi's system for Ace twice, now, and the thing that annoyed me most was the inability to customize the AI with the script.

I don't know. Maybe if I come back to it now, since I've "leveled up" in scripting since then, I might be able to figure it out how to actually do it. However, I remember reading the instructions many times, many times, about how to do it, and it returned an error for the ways that the script seemed to be pointing me towards.

Luxaren Allure 2K3 sounds legit funny/epic, though.
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! :D

Right now I'm leaning on just passing up on SRPG Studio. I have like a dozen RPG Maker game ideas, and only 1, maybe 2, that would need SRPG Studio.

And while I'm willing to make all the graphical assets I need for a game from scratch if need-be, I'm worried I'll be spending hours trying to figure out how to get the game working how I want and maybe that time could be better spent elsewhere.

That price tag is still tempting though XD
author=unity
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! :D

Right now I'm leaning on just passing up on SRPG Studio. I have like a dozen RPG Maker game ideas, and only 1, maybe 2, that would need SRPG Studio.

And while I'm willing to make all the graphical assets I need for a game from scratch if need-be, I'm worried I'll be spending hours trying to figure out how to get the game working how I want and maybe that time could be better spent elsewhere.

That price tag is still tempting though XD

I downloaded the demo the other day, and I would agree with everything that was said above. It seems suuuuuuuper complicated and not very intuitive at all. Even test playing the demo game that comes with it was pretty complicated.

You'd probably be better off learning Godot.
If it's on sale for dirt cheap now, it wouldn't hurt to buy it.
At the very least, you'll be supporting further gamedev-dev efforts :3
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

From waht I've heard it's not as usable as RPG Maker, which is what most people want. An engine that has the interface and ease of use of RPG maker with the tactics battle system. I fear we'll not see one for a very long time, I foresee Visual Novel Maker 2 before this thing ever gets made by Enterbrain.
There's tons of really cool SRPG Maker games that have been made. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be in Japanese...and from what I can tell, the kinds of games that can be made in that engine are limited to Fire Emblem clones of some kind. So if you want something more along the lines of a Final Fantasy Tactics, you're out of luck.

If you're interested in seeing some examples though, here are some cool Japanese SRPG Studio games I've found:

Magical Girl: New Theory: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinsetsu-mahou-shoujo/
This one's like Madoka meets Super Robot Wars, but an 80 hr strategy game.

Silvania Saga: https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/12097
Very competent-looking Fire Emblem clone

Dramatic Road: http://nermy.uijin.com/ref/DR.html
This one looks like a high school delinquent story w/ motorcycles in it! Pretty rad. I don't actually know if this one's made in SRPG Studio, but I wouldn't be surprised
*Looms*

It's a good engine if you are willing to put...lotsa time into it. But it mostly depends on what your project calls for. There are lots of plugins and stuff to make it less Fire Emblem-y, but the inventory system will always be somewhat Fire Emblem-ish.

Now it's easier to get into SRPG than it used to, many of the japanese scripts have been translated and there is an official site to put free graphic material and plugins and whatnots along with english discords and fan wikis. So if you want to try something and its on a deep sale, try it out if you want to make an SRPG.

I have a project I'm tryna get done-ish this year, it should show off some extra bling you can do with enough work.
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks for all the feedback!

I uh, bough Ys Lacrimosa of Dana on Switch instead >.>;; but if this goes on a really good sale again, I may grab it.
Pages: 1