WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?

Orig: Have you read the rest of the Dune series before that? I think that Dune and Dune Emperor are very good books. I am not crazy about the ones in between, though, and I couldn't keep going after Emperor (I got halfway through Chapterhouse).

Also for non-fiction I recommend Jon Krakauer. He used to be a features writer for magazines and he writes the best non-fiction I've ever read. But I think it's mostly because he takes interesting stories of the "truth is stranger than fiction" type and dramatizes them. I think I his books satisfy the same part of my curiosity as fiction. So maybe that's not the best recommendation for your class.
I've only read Dune and Dune Messiah, and even they kind of dragged on for me. But I bought all of the original series like 20 years ago, so I want to finish them. They're interesting, maybe a little too in depth. Herbert was crazy involved with his universe.

I've heard some good things about Jon Krakauer. I think we have Into Thin Air somewhere in the house... For some reason I really dig memoirs and autobiographies though.
On Writing was actually really really good.

The Stranger by Albert Camus, and A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami on audiobook, which I listen to whenever I drive. My books-finished-per-year rate should increase two fold by this method!
post=100594
On Writing was actually really really good.

The Stranger by Albert Camus, and A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami on audiobook, which I listen to whenever I drive. My books-finished-per-year rate should increase two fold by this method!

I listen to audiobooks all the time. I don't really read books in print anymore. I spend my commute listening to books all the time, so . . . I never want to read them when I get home from work.
audiobooks rule! i am glad you are a fellow audiobook enthusiast
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez

My favoritest author ever. Reviewing two books of his for a Spanish extra credit project.
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

More people need to be reading books imho.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Just finished reading Dan's Brown Angels and Demons. Although the book is complete bullshit in alot of things, the book itself was interesting a good adventure novel. I also saw the movie a while back and was disappointed by the fact that many of the books great subplots didn't make it into the film. I mean leaving out minor stuff is alright, but major things such as leaving out the romantic sub-plot between the two main characters? also the ending in the book was differed and I think better presented than in the movie.
I finally finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. Great book, but really really difficult. God it was depressing too.

The Steppe and Other Stories by Anton Chekhov.
So I'm rereading East, basically its about some viking chick who travels with some polar bear to lift off some curse done by an ice troll queen. Yeah.
Reading The Count of Monte Cristo and 1984.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=103572

Fucking great book, I cannot recall how many times I've reread it.

SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR

THE OLDEST MILITARY TREATISE IN THE WORLD

Translated from the Chinese with Introduction
and Critical Notes

BY

LIONEL GILES, M.A.
Taking a break from Chekhov. Well, I read a few of the stories and wasn't all that amazed. I'll probably read some more later on, but for now...

The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=103572
The Count of Monte Cristo

I'm happy for you. Remember, THE COUNT IS NOT BLUE.
post=104029
Taking a break from Chekhov. Well, I read a few of the stories and wasn't all that amazed. I'll probably read some more later on, but for now...

The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima.
We're studying Chekhov in Russian class. I haven't actually read any of his stuff but I was told that his plays were very emotional and well received.
I'm reading The Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs because dinosaurs are awesome. Who knew that velociraptors were actually feathered?
post=104114
Who knew that velociraptors were actually feathered?

me
post=104096
We're studying Chekhov in Russian class. I haven't actually read any of his stuff but I was told that his plays were very emotional and well received.

Yeah my friend that recommended him said the same thing. She's obsessed with The Seagull. His short stories aren't that great though, at least the ones I've read.