RPG MAKER GAMES OBSCURITY ICEBERG

Pages: first 12 next last
I posted this on Reddit but figured I'd share it here too.

Where are you on this chart?
What's the most obscure game you've heard of?
What's the most obscure game you've played?
Which games did I get wrong in your opinion?

I'm Three Ghostly Roses deep and I'm glad to be here. I've heard of virtually nothing on the two lowest depths.

OFF might be one or two levels higher but the rest of the chart looks pretty spot-on.
I guess what makes it hard to categorize RPG Maker games is that the weird/strange RPGMaker games actually tend to be more popular. While the vanilla more (you know, actual RPGs) tend to be more obscured and buried. Which this chart does acknowledge but it's funny seeing ABL/The Way being around the middle since it does make sense, but in broader video game charts YM would prob be placed in the middle relatively speaking.

The iceberg to me used to not represent just popularity of games but as you go down the list it increasingly becomes more alien and impossible to understand by a "normie human" because it's so unconventional and unpopular for correlated reasons.

I kind of assumed 'Donald Fuck RPG' would be near the bottom because it's in a league of its own in terms of why anyone would play it. It got renewed interest by some people over the years just because it's a weird blend of joke game and fangame that's not played out of irony but some exploration of having licensed characters say swear words and bypassing any kind of "in character" tone that a fan would bother with.

The absolute bottom I think would just be weird tech demos or things you can't imagine people playing for extended period of time that are in the deep recess of some archive somewhere or made in an ancient RPGMaker that requires PC88 emulation. The joke of the meme being that only some cthulhu being can comprehend RPGMaker's deep cultural secrets or whatever.

And yeah I guess seeing that I help manage RPG Maker games people have likely forgotten about it's weird not knowing any at the bottom of the list. But I guess that counts as obscure then.
Palette got played a lot since it was a high-ranked IGMC game. Like... it's known.
Don't you mean Paletta? Palette is a 1996 japanese rpgmaker game originally but uh, does have its own wikipedia article and an HG101 writeup, was translated etc. which funnily makes it more known than the one you're thinking.

to break this down even further though, anything less than 100,000 downloads can arguably be listed as "not known" it's just gonna depend on the relativity of the ranking
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, it's a very funny subjective thing in a lot of ways. I look at this and feel like A Blurred Line and Romancing Walker should be higher, and then I remember that I'm an oldie and those were out ages ago.

I love the VX Ace faces you used as the iceburg got lower as well! Really nice!

I too am Three Ghostly Roses deep. The two tiers below that are almost completely unknown to me.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I feel like Hero's Realm should be one level higher; I see that one get mentioned a lot.

I'm solidly at Corpse Party '96 depths. I don't have the lung capacity of you Three Ghostly Roses people.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Well, I kinda feel that my own games are probably below the lowest teir shown. As for games that I've actually heard about, yeah, I'm about on the level of Three Ghostly Roses.
author=Backwards_Cowboy
I feel like Hero's Realm should be one level higher; I see that one get mentioned a lot.

I'm solidly at Corpse Party '96 depths. I don't have the lung capacity of you Three Ghostly Roses people.
I feel that there is no way it's as known as ABL. I'd bump it down a level.

Also, this chart needs more Pom Gets Wifi.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
author=kentona
Also, this chart needs more Pom Gets Wifi.

This. Very much this. Also, no Umbral Soul? That game's been on the front page in Buzzing Games for like... ever. Or Leo and Leah? Or whatever Fidchell's made? Okay, I am biased for those last two, but c'mon! No Umbral Soul? ._.

Also, I too am Three Ghostly Roses (let alone The Way) deep. Hey, this meme has given me some ideas of what games to play too.
Woot. I got down to Star Stealing Prince, A Blurred Line, Hero's Realm, and Theia!
i played konosuba im surprised nobody knows about it
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

There's no super heaven level for Pom Gets Wifi?
Pom has a lot of downloads here but I feel it's completely forgotten by the general public and has 0 influence compared to games like OFF or Space Funeral. It's one of those games that was wildly popular for a while and then the hype completely died down. If I were to put it on the chart it'd probably be Level 3.

As for other games that are missing, I wanted to use a bigger font size for readability so I had to leave out a lot of games because I ran out of space. Umbral Soul and Leo and Leah would probably be Level 6, I know both but I don't think anyone outside the RPG Maker community will have heard of them. Same reason why ABL and Hero's Realm are so low despite being considered classics by the community.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
Corpse Party deep hits different
author=Darken
I kind of assumed 'Donald Fuck RPG' would be near the bottom because it's in a league of its own in terms of why anyone would play it. It got renewed interest by some people over the years just because it's a weird blend of joke game and fangame that's not played out of irony but some exploration of having licensed characters say swear words and bypassing any kind of "in character" tone that a fan would bother with.

Donald Fuck RPG and the Dooms series should be in a category of their own at the bottom.
I guess Phylomortis is too old and avant garde for some of ya'll young bucks huh
author=Feldschlacht IV
I guess Phylomortis is too old and avant garde for some of ya'll young bucks huh

It is of great unknownst why many people (or plebians) have not have the rigorous upmost haste to enjoy the pleasures of consuming the exe that is excreted from the fingers of King RPG Advocate (the 2k3rd). He, after all is responsible for the transcription of the Role Playing Game Maker Two Thousand Threeeth and as such deserves to adorn the cape of authority and crown (said to have made from the same gold that was used to make the misaos). When RM2K3 crashes you are but reduced to a mere pebble at King Advocate (the 2k3rd)'s feet, and such should be forced to hail Phylomortis forever all eternity.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Why is The Way so low??
The only three RPGMaker games I've ever heard of from outside this site are Corpse Party, LISA, and Yume Nikki. To me, those three alone should make the top two stratum, then a few of the more popular games in this echo chamber should be the third and fourth strata, and then the remaining four should be fused into one colossal strata, so completely full of names and in such small font that they're borderline unreadable.
Pages: first 12 next last