CONDITIONAL SKILLS CONCEPT

Pages: 1
Greetings,
I had an idea for a battle system and wanted to see if you think it would be fun or annoying. I'm not worried about the feasibility yet.
I want attacks to change depending on certain conditions, specifically status effects. For example, if an enemy is on fire (status effects) and is hit with a concussive attack, the fire damage would spread to nearby enemies. Another example would be if an enemy is in a shock state (electric status effect), then close range attacks like punches and swords would result in shock damage on the player. A third example could be if an enemy is frozen, laser attacks refract and hit nearby enemies.

I guess what I'm asking is would this make battle exciting and fun to experiment with or obnoxious and cumbersome. My game is in a near future/sci fi type setting. Battles will be far less than typical RPGs but longer and more intense.
Also, do you have any examples of combinations that I could add to my list? Appreciate your help.
Only way to know is try *shrugs*. The ones with negative outcomes the players probably not going to want to use unless the initial attack is so good its worth the tradeoff. Also how informed of the player is of the outcome? What is the reason for choosing one state over another. I would even go further what if certain enemies do state changes based on a state that were given. (Get hit by lighting while on fire, turn into some weird unstable nuclear state or something wild). Maybe there's a skill that transfers a state from one enemy to the rest etc.

But same as every battle system with possibility permutations: it takes a lot of experimentation and trying out stuff.
Appreciate the feedback. I thought about trying it out, but the only problem is that it would be a haul to make a system like this (including some plugin commissions). I wanted to flush out the concept a bit more before moving forward.
As for the negative outcomes, the battle system I have in mind has 6 characters, only 3 can be in battle at any given time. Characters can be subbed in during Battle. Giving a shock effect is especially effective against synthetic enemies, but creates a consequence by limiting close range attacks. Other status effects would have this same pro and con.
Players can reasonably guess certain outcomes, but won't know for sure unless they try them out.
This is a really cool idea. Reminds me of Divinity: Original Sin (1&2). It's what I would want to do if I had the means. I don't know of many games other than the aforementioned that does this (or do it well).

Take people's advice with a grain of salt when it comes to things like making battles more challenging or longer. I've been noticing a trend of forgetting about battle's entirely or making them quickly skippable so go with your gut. To me this sounds like an amazing idea, but I've always been more interested in great battles than other things.
Thanks! I'll have to check out Divinity and see if there is anything I can learn from those games.
I personally believe that random encounters aren't all that great. Battles should be more scripted, avoidable, or affected outside of battle (preemptive strikes). Experience should also be gained from other things aside from battle too. Complete a side quest? Here's some exp. Solve a puzzle? Here's some exp.
The problem is going to be coming up with all the different variables and combos.

Edit: ok. Had a chance to check out Divinity. Thanks for the tip! There's a bunch of combos and seeing that this can be done gives me a little hope!
I wholeheartedly agree. Random battles are a drag.

Gaining Exp from quests is great as well. I'm surprised more games don't do this honestly. It takes about two seconds to add this to any quest completed by the player and certainly adds more depth.

Good luck with your idea!
Take people's advice with a grain of salt when it comes to things like making battles more challenging or longer. I've been noticing a trend of forgetting about battle's entirely or making them quickly skippable so go with your gut.
forpc.onl youtube vanced for pc
author=AlphaMad
Greetings,
I had an idea for a battle system and wanted to see if you think it would be fun or annoying. I'm not worried about the feasibility yet.
I want attacks to change depending on certain conditions, specifically status effects. For example, if an enemy is on fire (status effects) and is hit with a concussive attack, the fire damage would spread to nearby enemies. Another example would be if an enemy is in a shock state (electric status effect), then close range attacks like punches and swords would result in shock damage on the player. A third example could be if an enemy is frozen, laser attacks refract and hit nearby enemies.

I guess what I'm asking is would this make battle exciting and fun to experiment with or obnoxious and cumbersome. My game is in a near future/sci fi type setting. Battles will be far less than typical RPGs but longer and more intense.
Also, do you have any examples of combinations that I could add to my list? Appreciate your help.

Hmm...
Maybe with the fire one, it could be:

Switch Automatic "Fire Spread"
IF EnemyA is able to act
IF EnemyA "Aflame"
Add Condition "Aflame" Enemy B
Add Condition "Aflame" Enemy C
Add Condition "Aflame" Enemy D
Display Message "The flames are spreading to the other enemies!"
Turn Switch "Fire Spread" OFF

That one might use a common event to make it work correctly, and I for see it using Battle Events that you would have to make a separate Battle Event that can be copied many times.

Maybe for the freeze one could use no movement in a status with reflect on them??

The shock one seems harder to do
Or what if there was a condition where when a robot or character is wet, it would multiply electrical damage by 2 or 3? Or the water would 'splash back' and get the enemy party entirely wet. :O
or if an enemy is entirely metal, then bullets or shot damage would bounce off of metal. hmm. or if an enemy is made with mirror or glass, lasers would bounce around the enemies since they are made from mirrors or glass! or if an enemy is entirely glass, lasers and light would pass right through not doing anything to the enemy, or could fog up an enemies' vision.
or imagine if a bunch of enemies are hooked up to wires or something, and if the wires are equipped on the enemies, when you use an electrical attack, since they are all wired up, the attack would hurt them all!! maybe there could be elements that effect robots or the alike that are 'on the ground' and then ones that are 'in the air'. maybe some play on that? or perhaps if an enemy is struck with fire when on ice, the ice would melt and would cause water damage towards the party! This one is easy but what if an enemy was so frozen solid that it would cause frostbite, causing damage overtime, or maybe for a 0th or 1 turn.
I would advice trying to look at whatever you want to implement from the eyes of the player. How will the player use/abuse the feature you planned? Let's take the laser and ice as an example. I will assume that only the second target takes damage, otherwise the strategy will be very obvious, milk the refracting for all it's worth to double laser damage. With only the second target taking damage, the refraction will not be that useful for the player when it comes to single target laser attacks. Chance is the player will just target whatever enemy they want to injure rather than targeting the enemy that's frozen and then see who the attack refracts to. On the other hand, it will be annoying when the enemies uses that feature as it ensures they will focus their damage on a non disabled character instead of the one that has been disabled. Typically, if you have a disabled character and one that's not, it's better if enemies KO the disabled character.

With multi-target laser attack, it gets interesting, especially with multi-target freeze as well. You can freeze enemies and then cast the multi-target laser. By doing so, the damage gets concentrated to the enemies that aren't frozen, which are the enemies that you want to kill first.

By seeing things from the players perspective you can easier decide how exactly the rules of the conditional skills should work. Assume there is a boss that has 4 minions. Do you want the players to freeze all minions and then throw multi-target laser attacks so the boss takes 5X damage? Is this sort of strategy expected, optional or maybe it just doesn't work that way. Design the rules so it encourages the most fun interaction.
Pages: 1