BEST CITY MAP?

Pages: 1

I've been thinking about cities in top down RPGs especially. They are probably the most ambitious maps to tackle because you're trying to not only portray a lot of buildings, but buildings the act as personal locales. Lots of NPCs, tons of space but also cramped as well. Tall buildings can impede movement. Ideally it feels like a dense city, and not a glorified town, but also not a glorified space with facaded architecture everywhere either.

In bigger budget games, I'd say Cyberpunk 2077 probably takes the bill for most fantastical dense high production value open world city, but it doesn't quite have that lived in landmark feel that say Yakuza has. They're two games going for different things with different purposes. In the AAA space there's just a limit to the amount of resources you can use to maintain the fidelity per square mile and so you're generally left with a lot of buildings to not enter in. I think it's interesting that one person with rpgmaker for 20 years could spend time making a more impressive city and compete with the juggernauts in its own indie way, via through the Shenmue promises of being able to go to every NPCs house and smell their socks in the drawer. I feel like that's an interesting dragon to chase.

Isolating to just top down maps, console RPGs or RPGMaker, what is the most impressive lived in city, as far as not feeling like a facade? Not feeling like just a bigger town than most, and generally living up to the title of being a "CITY". I think it can be hard to define since you could set a whole game inside of a city and just have a bunch of connected maps with that, but I'm gonna say the criteria that it encompasses one entire map. If it's like 4 really big maps stitched together sure fine, I can let it slide. The more unified the better however.

I thought about the Earthbound's Fourside), or an earthbound fangame but I feel like they're kind of cheating. In that not too many RPGs go for this and you do get a lot out of the dimensions. I think the challenge is up exponentially since you potentially have skyscrappers blocking the view a lot, so you have to build dense locales while also conveying large surrounding scale.

tldr: What are good city maps in RPGs/RM that are the most impressive in whatever way? (Ideally high in explorability ratio)

Has anyone made something as crazy as this one block map by Mr Nemo?

Loose Criteria:
-Top down perspective / 3/4 Orthographic / Bird's Eye (Isometric and Earthbound don't count)
-Ideally a unified map
-Dense NPCs, tall architecture etc.
-Bonus points for how much of it is actually enterable

Using this for research purposes, but also curiosity since very few games come to mind.
One city I remember even though it might not be visually too interesting it had a feel that I've never really felt in other rpg cities. And that was Tarant in Arcanum. It's the biggest city in the game and is sort of a hub world for a bit.

But the thing I remember about it is that it's a city that is just put in a grid with nearly identical buildings. But I seem to recall (it's been a while) that each street has a name and thus you could navigate it by actual addresses. But also because the buildings were so samey it was actually possible for me to get lost in that city. I ran around back and forth in those streets and even after hours of gameplay I felt like I stumbled upon a location or character I hadn't seen before.

In my head (again it's been a long time so some of this might not actually exist in game) it also had areas that felt more slummy than others. There was a harbor and as you closed in on that there seemed to be more beggars lining the streets and despite the fact that I think just about every building used the same tileset it still managed to feel more run down in certain parts of the city than others.

To me this was just a marvel, especially considering how... visually uninteresting it technically was.
Oh Estrana, easily.

(Just ignore the voice acting)
The one that really stands out to me is Nihilo, that game is just crazy to look at on so many levels, let alone for a rm2k3 game!
It really nailed the city vibes hard, in my opinion, it feels so alive.
Yeah Estrana is really dope, visually it's just a beefed up FF6 town but I do like that the side questing and the amount of stuff to do was huge, I also just recall a huge amount of foreshadowing and setup leading up to it.

author=But the thing I remember about it is that it's a city that is just put in a grid with nearly identical buildings. But I seem to recall (it's been a while) that each street has a name and thus you could navigate it by actual addresses. But also because the buildings were so samey it was actually possible for me to get lost in that city. I ran around back and forth in those streets and even after hours of gameplay I felt like I stumbled upon a location or character I hadn't seen before.

I do remember getting lost in a city in Taiwan where there were practically rubber stamped apartment complexes all in a row. So that sounds par for the course.
author=Darken
Has anyone made something as crazy as this one block map by Mr Nemo?

Oh boy that's a blast from the past. That project folder has like 10 of those maps, just opening it up is like "this is kinda of crazy". Unfortunately most of it enterable too which might explain the vaporware status among other things.

There was another guy making a Blade Runner game, "Dangerous Days"... Eschalt if I recall? Don't think he's around anymore and I wouldn't distribute his similarly unfinished game without asking.

I did see some futuristic game on steam a few years back that might fit the description but I'm heading out for the time being maybe I can find it later

EDIT: Jack Move apparently! Haven't gotten around to trying it so I couldn't say if it fits with all of the criteria.
Very cool thread.

excluding shadowrun on snes cause it's isometric the most immediate commercial examples I can think of are Parasite Eve (but they're abandoned), Yakuza (PS2), Yakuza 2 (PS2) and maybe that one "city" in Saga Frontier 2 where you had to play tag with a couple of kids at night time in order to advance the story or something? I'll have to look it up again though, the maps in particular. also Koorang in Saga Frontier 1 (the night distinct)the market in secret of evermore was another really cool one

I think part of the reason why we haven't seen more of this type of map design, is because like, as you mentioned, perspective is a problem -- but also another problem that isn't immediately apparent, is explorability and functionality: this was part of the reason why I didn't like playing through Theia. you're struggling between creating a densely populated city, but also one that's easy to navigate through, but remains functional. If it's not easy to navigate through or there's no purpose to these areas the player is exploring, it quickly becomes something the player has to contend with.

You'll notice with stuff like FF7/Saga Frontier/Legend of Dragoon that, most of these maps are stitched together - but on every one of these maps they usually have a really strong/interesting landmark that acts as a focal point for the rest of the area and the players perspective, and then they create entryways leading away from that focal point, or complimenting it. (if i have time i'll try and scan/upload some maps as example in a future post; but i definitely think this is something that devs of that era were struggling with)

But like, similar to creating movie sets or shooting at a particular location, these aren't real city locations but idealized, composed, pieces of one, so they consistently remain as something that the player can easily navigate through and explore, while still trying to look somewhat, interesting.

Having said that, I did not like FF9's lindblum. Because I felt like, what was the point of creating this illusion of this really big city that you want to explore, if you're only going to allow the player to continue to explore one part of it over and over again (Saga Frontier 2 also had this problem; fantastic water colored maps but you're only allowed to explore one area, or spend 5 seconds in it) - I thought something like FF12 was more appropriate, because you're actually going through and interacting with every district and trying to find out what to buy and gather information etc. Not only is it a big city, but it remains functional and explorable to the player on every level, everything has a purpose.

Yakuza is an interesting mention, because I thought it was neat how Yakuza on the PS2 kind cheats, but also fixes the problem with using an overhead perspective in a city area: by having the camera constantly follow the player's movement, from overhead, but also adjusts, as the player moves into the distance, before switching to another overhead perspective, so everything remains readable and explorable - this is really cool, but also I think part of the reason why we didn't see more densely populated city areas in games, because either the tech wasn't there yet or it's really hard to make it look interesting (The beginning city area of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water for the Sega Genesis, comes to mind).

(another neat thing about Yakuza was how, as you walked into crowds of people, air bubbles of gossip discussing the current conflict in the story would pop up; like after a big a event, they'd talk about whether or not this section of the city was still safe, stuff like that - this was really cool feature and I wish more games did that)

But yeah, I'll try to upload some examples here.

EDIT: some commercial examples:

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (Paris) (1991) Mega Drive. this is a bad example for more than one reason, but it's an example that i know of. and I think it's part of the reason why we didn't see more inner city populated maps during the 16-bit era.

Secret of EverMore (Nobilia Marketplace) (1995) SNES with Evermore because all the stands in the market place are kept at a relative equal height. it's a bit more easier to see and easier to navigate through and feels a bit more lived in, but unfortunately we don't get that sense of scale from the large buildings yet.

Saga Frontier (Koorang) (1997) with Saga Frontier it's prerendered 2D, but there's a slight isometric perspective, to the backgrounds, but as they start to incorporate larger buildings, we start to see some of the problems with layers overlapping.

Saga Frontier 2 (1997) (Infiltrate Alexei!) - City of Night (1999) with Saga frontier 2, it's still 2D but with water colored maps, we see that it's slightly even more isometric. but it's trying to keep everything neat uniform and readable.

Yakuza / Ryu Ga Gotoku(2005)(PS2) with Yakuza on PS2, it's 3D, but what was neat about the PS2 entry is how it tries to stick to that overhead perspective, the further the player goes into the horizon. yes, sometimes it switches to a non overhead perspective - but to retain the most information for the player for where Kazuma is on the map among the buildings, they continue to use that overhead perspective, to help achieve that lived in feeling; because it's important to see where the player is in relation to other characters among the buildings - for interior shots it switches to a regular 3D camera - this is the PS2 version.

...For RM games the ones I can immediately think of are:
-Theia,
-Zero Shift Reality (the demo of Mog's/Feld's 2k3 game before turning into chronicles of the last era; it had a really cool map where a girlfriend was tossing out a boyfriends clothes after a break up and crisis core midgar music was playing over it)
-and maybe oldpat's Karma Flow for rm2k3.

If I remember anymore I'll mention them.♥
great stuff as always.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=LBR
Having said that, I did not like FF9's lindblum. Because I felt like, what was the point of creating this illusion of this really big city that you want to explore, if you're only going to allow the player to continue to explore one part of it over and over again (Saga Frontier 2 also had this problem; fantastic water colored maps but you're only allowed to explore one area, or spend 5 seconds in it) - I thought something like FF12 was more appropriate, because you're actually going through and interacting with every distinct and trying to find out what to buy and gather information etc. Not only is it a big city, but it remains functional and explorable to the player on every level, everything has a purpose.

Huh, I definitely prefer the other way from you in this regard. I don't want to walk down empty streets - just let me pick the correct building from a menu. Cities like Rabanastre in FF12 try to create the illusion of size with long streets you have to walk down, but because they don't have any kind of abstraction, the entire city is still only the size of a single city block. If you want to convince me that this is a real city with a hundred thousand people in it then you need to make it absolutely crystal clear that the parts I'm visiting are only the parts relevant to my adventure, and that there's way way way way more of it that's being skipped over because it's not relevant.
Lindblum makes sense to me because they really can't make 50+ backgrounds to satisfy something beyond the abstraction unless the entire game were set in it or at least an entire disc. It's a setpiece serving a bigger game concerned more with globe trotting than making everything grounded and require distance. Isolated, it's not really a contender when compared to other examples.

In the scope of this topic, I'm not really cocerned with sensible travel, and more interested in who's mad enough to go after a certain density via a metroipolis. A morbid curisioity moreso than enjoying something entertaining. Shenmue 2's Kowloon City is another interesting non-RPG example where it's a rough recreation of a city that no longer exists. It's also interesting less so for entertainment reasons and more historical/educational. Like the musuem mode thing they did for the assassins creed games. In a lot of ways though I think video game spaces can make for interesting world building just by existing.

author=Mr.Nemo
Oh boy that's a blast from the past. That project folder has like 10 of those maps, just opening it up is like "this is kinda of crazy". Unfortunately most of it enterable too which might explain the vaporware status among other things.

I'm very curious about seeing how those exterior maps line up. Do you have a stitched together image of that?
Kowloon is endlessly fascinating to me. Even got photography books to try and replicate it in ink and 3d. I've seen shots in movies and games too where they've recreated some of the more famous shots from right before the city's demise too, very cool stuff. Never played Shenmue though - though watching a fair bit of it maybe satisfied my curiosity enough.

author=Darken
I'm very curious about seeing how those exterior maps line up. Do you have a stitched together image of that?

Each map is a self-contained sector/town (or in some cases, dungeons) with the initial idea having a subway to different sectors all around the city, rather than them lining up (scope was apparently big enough already). At some point I removed the subway in favor of just doing map transitions at the edge and abstracting the travel part. (though putting them back in was always an option)

I did consider streaming it (and dangerous days) or something but maybe I should try and document it a little more.
bumping this, cause I really wanted to see where this went. Will probably upload a few more examples from console games.
Pages: 1