Knytt (Replay)
Knytt Stories (R)
Knytt Underground (R)
Mass Effect (R)
Mass Effect 2 (R)
Mass Effect 3 (R)
Metroid Prime (R)(100%)
Pokemon: Fool's Gold
Pokemon: Infinite Fusion (Normal/Classic)
Starbound (R)
Stardew Valley (R)
Ultima

IN PROGRESS
Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster

BUCKET LIST
More RPG Maker Games
Maybe other Ultimas
Might replay GTA 5 at some point

THINGS IM ALWAYS PLAYING HERE AND THERE
Bloons TD6
Civ
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Stellaris

DROPPED
Grapple Dog
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (R)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Update time? Update time.
Valkyrie Elysium

So, I was actually coming up on Chapter 6, not 5. I probably mistook things because the bulk of side-questing I was doing was under the same area as Chapter 4's main content.

Gained another einherjar in the process, and, of course, more side-content. I was beginning to think that maybe it was this game that notified me that I couldn't swtich difficulty levels, and not Tales From Arise. Not that I'm having a particularly hard time with this game, but, I tried checking it out regardless. Turns out, yes, there are no mid-game option to switch difficulty. Which feels kinda weird, but, like I said, it's not like I'm having too much difficulty here.

Though, if there is one thing that does seem to give me trouble, it's the side-quests involving duels with the einherjar that recently opened up. Since none of them are available during these duels, I find myself at a disadvatange. While I can use items to suppliment matters somewhat, I don't feel it's enough for a player of my skill level. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of the AI catching Valkyrie mid-animation way too often, or if the tell of their moves (unblockible, or otherwise) provides too short of a window at the range I'm fighting at, but, yeah, they're really tough opponents.

Even if I don't nessessarily care about the stage rating thing in regards to using items, I kinda wonder if their stength during these fights have some correlation to how strong they are otherwise? It's an interesting thought, but, I also kinda doubt it at the same time.

Tales of Arise

So, this game threw a few side-quests my way that I could do before moving along. Which I did. There's still a few out there that I've mentally flagged for later, but, yeah, later.

The game might not be sub-divided into chapters, per say, but feels more sub-divided into the various nations you visit. Which would make the section I'm in now approximately Chapter 3. If the area of Chapter 1 had a theme of fire/deserts, and Chapter 2 had a theme of ice/snow, this chapter has a theme of wind/grass.

There's one side-quest that I've had for a while now, with no idea how to resolve it. I decided to look this up, and apparently, this quest isn't complete until either super late-game, or even post game. Also, the guy that gives you the quest is actually supposed to say the same thing over and over until it's complete, giving the player no indication of anything. Which really sucks on both the aforementioned point about how to actually progress the thing (you basically don't), and how the rewards that the quest provides would probably be largely irrelevant even when it can be completed. What the hell, Bandai Namco.

Front Mission - Finished!
Second game cleared off my "23 for '23" list of backlogged games. Finished with just under 25 hours on the clock. Really impressive game for the SNES, and almost a new favourite. I absolutely loved the music, character designs and pixel art, and really enjoyed both the story and characters despite them being fairly limited. It's also loads of fun to build mechs, train your squad, and systematically dismantle enemy mechs piece by piece, and I had a real good time with the combat all the way through.

Unfortunately I found the game was let down a bit as it went on by very clunky, slow menus that made upgrading your units a chore at times, as well as by a total lack of difficulty in the second half of the game. Several of the skills you learn are just too game-breaking, and my machine gun guys, in particular, were ripping through bosses in a single turn by the end. Didn't spoil the game entirely, but definitely made the second half a lot less interesting, as it became rare for me to even lose a single unit despite generally being crap at SRPGs. Still, I had a great time all in all, and think I'm going to explore the rest of the series in the not too distant future, as I own them all and have only played this one and 3.

Eithea
Another from my backlog list for the year, which I started on the back of finishing Front Mission. A fairly obscure Japan-only PS1 RPG published by Atlus and developed by TamTam of Eternal Eyes fame (?), I bought it for 100 yen in Japan years ago, and it's sat on my shelf for over a decade. Thought it was time to finally play it. I hadn't really heard good things, and after about nine hours... yeah, this is pretty bad so far. Superficially there's a lot to like - it's pretty much fully voiced (even a lot of the side events) with a cast of talented voice actors, the character designs are lovely, and both the pixel art and the backgrounds have a lot of effort put into them and look gorgeous.

Sadly, though, it just really doesn't work when it comes to the things that count most. The story initially seems interesting and endearing enough in a distinctly 90s isekai anime way, but it quickly descends into nonsense, with inconsistent characterisations, extremely questionable motivations for most of what the characters do, and a whole lot of manufactured drama at every turn that quickly soured me on most of the cast. And as for the gameplay, it goes down the modern Persona road of interweaving visual novel-styled relationship mechanics with RPG gameplay, which is kind of neat for a game that came out so long ago when that sort of thing wasn't too common. But neither the RPG nor the visual novel side of things really work, with the first being frightfully barebones and slow as molasses to play, and the second suffering from cringeworthy writing and dialogue branches that often feel like they add nothing meaningful. They're also not really interwoven in an interesting or significant enough way to make up for their respective shortcomings - it feels like they slapped together two less than adequate games hoping that they'd wind up with one competent one, but the work just hasn't been done to craft them into a satisfying whole.

With the strong visuals and voice acting, the decent early world building, and some potentially interesting ideas in battle (particularly the damage-absorbing barrier your party generates that can be reshaped and realigned), you feel like the game could have been decent in more capable hands. But it's all so half-baked, and nothing has really come together so far. Story is flat, characters are mostly unlikable, and battles are incredibly slow and one note to a degree that would make NES RPGs blush. It's not the absolute worst RPG I've played, but yeah, this is decidedly not good so far. I think I'll probably wind up finishing it, as it's extremely easy and apparently there are only ten chapters and I'm already more than halfway through. But one of those games that was best left in Japan, I think.
Rise of the Tomb Raider

So felt like loading up a file on some Tomb Raider and realized this game was basically almost complete? I beat the game sooner than expected but I guess it is a 10 hour game with 20 hour max when it comes to collectibles I was like 80% done when I beat it so makes sense. Might come back to it later. So onto Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I'm enjoying the jungle environment in this game so far since it reminds me of MGS3 a little. Weird thing is getting all this definitive edition DLC that I'm not sure is useful since they seem to either have tradeoffs or are unupgradable. Really not that far in but a lot of things seem improved.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It's cool seeing so many updates here! Ofc, I haven't touched Soma Union since the start of the month. Not in mood for games I guess. Maybe my goal for this year should be to finish it.
FInished off Mass Effect 3 tonight, again. Maybe the 4th or 5th time? Never gets old. What an awesome trilogy.

Should be done with Ultima soon, only need two more missions (Kill a Lich and a a Balron) then doing the Space Ace stuff and killing Mondain and I'll be through. Thank the lord for walkthroughs, saving me weeks of time battling through dungeons trying to find random monsters.

Also pretty close to beating Grapple Dog as well. I'm halfway through what's either the final or semi-final world.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I got off to a really great start this year, finishing a couple games already. I have a bad habit of starting and never finishing a lot of games so I'm feeling pretty good about myself.

Currently Playing:

Scarlet Nexus (Xbox)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox)
Witcher III (Xbox)
SMT III: Nocturne Remaster (PS4)
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (PS4)
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
Hi Fi Rush (Xbox)

Planning on Playing:

Tales of Arise (Xbox)
Borderlands 3 (Xbox)
Atelier Sophie 2 (PC)
Atelier Ryza 2 (PS4)

Finished:

Fire Emblem: Engage (Switch)
This was the most fun I've had with Fire Emblem since Radiant Dawn on the Wii. No Waifu breeding shenanigans, some characters were wacky but they weren't all mockeries of an archetype like in Fates, no time-restricted grinding like in Three Houses, it very much reminded me of Sacred Stones. There was also just enough of a plot twist at the very end that I wasn't anticipating.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon (Xbox)
I enjoyed this game so much. If you want a JRPG that isn't anime-inspired with its visuals, this is it. So many mini-games and diversions, too. I would go hours without progressing the story or getting into a single battle since I was too busy playing a full management sim or a full Mario Kart clone. I felt empathy and sympathy for the characters, a ragtag group of people in their late 20's through their mid-50's who could all feasibly exist in real life. If you've played Persona but are getting tired of being in high school every time, Yakuza: Like A Dragon is the answer. Or, as my brother calls it, "Persona but for dads".

My Friend Peppa Pig (Xbox)
This isn't a joke or for the meme. My girlfriend dared me to speedrun this game since it was on GamePass. We decided that meant 100% completion of the achievements list. Below is my honest opinion of why no child should be given this game.

This game sucks.

At first it just looks like a game for little kids, which is what I was expecting. But as a former three-year-old, I found it insulting. Every time you enter a screen, the same cut-scenes play. Walked to Peppa's grandparents' farm? Cut-scene. Accidentally took one step backwards and the scene changed? Get ready to watch that cut-scene again if you go back to the farm. Talked to a character? Might trigger a cut-scene. Accidentally talk to them again when it's finished? Well strap in buddy, 'cause here we go again.

There even segments where you were in the family car and could only move in a single direction, and could hold A to move faster. But guess what? There's a random event where there is road construction and you have to listen to a couple of slow-talking workers explain that they are fixing the road but you can drive around them slowly. There is no way to prevent this from occurring; it's entirely random and it was faster to exit the game and reload than to watch the scene.

What makes this worse? The game does not tell you where to go or what to do in order to finish it. I had to use a guide. There is a certain sequence you have to travel in to complete all of the mandatory events to get to Potato City or whatever they call it and finish the game. In between those sequences, there are so many long-ass unskippable cut-scenes you might accidentally encounter over and over again. Not only is the gameplay bad and the cut-scenes unskippable, but the lack of direction means your child will probably get bored of this quickly. I would strongly recommend the Paw Patrol games instead if you are trying to teach your child how to use a controller and play games.

Octopath Traveler
This was arguably the best Final Fantasy game to come out in years despite not being a Final Fantasy game. The developers say they got inspiration from Final Fantasy VI, and I can see that with the multiple characters and party swapping, but gameplay-wise it feels more like Final Fantasy V with the multiple-job system. That being said, the game starts off tough, but if you happen to kill a Carbuncle or whatever they are calling the weird cat-creatures this time around, you jump several levels and steamroll the next few character chapters.

I unintentionally started with Tressa, a mixed-attacker with multiple weapon types, magic, and multiple abilities to grind gold faster and buy items from NPCs; she also happens to be the easiest way to obtain the speed-run and solo-run achievements, and can do it simultaneously. Combined with above-mentioned high-exp random cat creature encounter, I was around level 21 before I even met a second character. I was able to obtain all 8 characters fairly quickly and completely steamroll the first boss of each first chapter. The game didn't get tough again until the third chapter for each character, and that difficulty only lasted until I finished a few of them and could again brute force the remaining ones. Rinse and repeat for the fourth and final chapters of each character; the first one or two are tough, then you're cruising through the rest or taking advantage of Reflect + Boost from one or two clerics to block every magic-based final boss.

There is a true final boss if certain conditions are met following the completion of all 8 character stories. However, outside of the two challenge achievements, the game doesn't really warrant a second play-through. There are no alternate endings to the character stories, every boss has a best way to defeat them, and you get all characters no matter who you start with.

Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster (iOS)
Bought and finished Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster last week. Less than 10 hours from start to finish; the game felt so much longer on the NES and DS versions. Bosses were much weaker than in the old 3D remake, and the faster game speed over all of the older versions (excluding I think the PSP port of the DS game which had a fast-forward option or something?). I liked FFIII with the older ports but the pixel remaster was disappointing with the removal of defined characters, reduction of difficulty, and astonishingly short playtime for the price. I never felt the need to play around with the classes and all bosses were a first-attempt victory with some going down in two turns compared to the older versions where it would take at least a few. I want to grab FFV since I liked that one as well when I beat it on GBA but I'm worried they nerfed that one too. The iOS versions lack the QoL improvements that they added for the Switch/PS4 releases, so I can only imagine how easy the games become when you can mess with the encounter rate.

Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (iOS)

Much better than the FFIII remaster which felt nerfed so far beyond the original game that it wasn't really fun. FFV remaster removes some of the ways you could cheese the boss battles, so it's slightly more challenging than previous remasters and remakes in that regard. It lacks the bonus content from the GBA version though.

SMT: Soul Hackers 2

This game was better than the lackluster and middling reviews made it out to be, but you can definitely feel how much Persona 5 is creeping into the other SMT spin-off games with the social ranks and the way they have you feel like you're building relationships with certain shopkeepers and NPCs. The visuals within the main hub were good, but the dungeons are some of the ugliest uninspired hallways I've ever seen in a modern JRPG; even Yakuza: Like A Dragon had better dungeons and that game was also a series of hallways outside of the main hubs (and the main hubs were just a series of alleyways, but at least they were attractive alleyways). The music was one of the game's stronger points, and the character designs were decent if at times over-designed. The design for the final boss was also pretty good, with the rest of the game being mostly your standard SMT demons that you know by heart. My biggest issues with the game was that it's pretty short for an SMT game, with my final playtime being under 30 hours after defeating the final boss. The game tries to pad this by locking some of the achievements/trophies behind a New Game +, as you need 200 social points to reach the deepest levels of each character's personal dungeon (and the associated side quests), and each playthrough serves as a multiplier for the amount you gain. You can't gain enough in the first run to get through the final checkpoints of those dungeons.
Oh yay, a thread about gaming! I like looking at all sorts of things, so here is what I've been playing with a few impressions... This year, I felt a lot like playing a buncha dating sims (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ For research, of course!

I started off with a replay of Amigami アミガミ for PSP. I'd only done a once through before, but the game seriously impressed me. With it's creative character animation, smart dialogue and ultra-strategic mapping system, the whole experience feels very kinetic and alive in a way most other dating sims don't. This time I'm going after Ayatsuji, the cover girl. She's a girl who is maintains a perfect image as class representative, but something about her saccharine sweet voice and almost hilariously fake gestures of goodwill have me thinking something else is going on...? I could go on all day about the gameplay and the philosophy of it in comparison to Tokimemo, but perhaps you should just discover it for yourself.

Next up was Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Kiss ときめきメモリアル (holy mackerel what a long title!), a game I had played previously but couldn't enjoy. You see, the "Prince" of the game-- The fella that is supposed to be the true star ala Shiori in the original series-- is such a terrible asshole. He's standoffish and prickly and hardly sends a good word your way. I'm a fan of the other entries, but the second one simply didn't connect. However I've discovered three incredible things this second go around: 1) Christopher Weatherfield, the token white boy of the game, is incredibly stupid and thus very easy to fall for, 2) The Prince is just really stressed right now so I don't hate him anymore, i just need to give him some space, and 3) the game is super easy. It' insane. the routes don't interconnect much so you can spend the entire game with only 3 guys to manage, and the stat requirements you can clear with your eyes closed. With so few obstacles, the game is little less engaging than it should be. Still cute, though.

I was curious about Amigami, so I hunted down it's grandmother game, True Love Story トゥルー・ラブストーリー for PSX. Reading game guides often leads to a repeating sentiment: "While games like Tokimemo advertise boisterous girls with colorful hair, Turu presents a cast of more realistic, plain brunettes. That can be a detractor, but also a charm point." That pretty much gets to the point. Turu is no Tokimemo in terms of presentation, but it's homely charm and unique gameplay has warranted a fanbase all it's own.
Le epic screenshots below (‾◡◝)

What makes the game unique is its rejection of Tokimemo-style stat raising in favor of in-depth conversation puzzles. At the start, you select the season you want the game to take place in. This effects holidays, date spots, conversational subjects and even what girls are available. Then you adjust your stats. You can make yourself a star student who is good at everything, or a class clown who can't do a single push-up. It was super surprising to me that you could simply choose to be good at everything, but it turns out lots of girls have specific tastes! Also, it effects your conversation. The big pull of Turu is that you get to walk home with a girl and pick what you want to talk about from 30 or so topics. The idea is to keep her interested so she'll ask to take a detour with you and talk even longer. You even have to plan your route. It's recommended to pick routes with lots of trees so other girls won't spot you hitting on somebody else, lol. There's the school schedule system and day planning of course, but the walking home stuff really takes the cake. I can see how enterbrain has been polishing its systems to get to Amigami. Truly, an organic and well-though masterpiece (╯▽╰ )

I could go on, but that's whats most interesting right now. I still have to finish Sky High Chronos Endless and perhaps do and english play through of Heisei Pistol Show for old times sake. Parun's games are really the best. If you can, I suggest trying Re:Kinder and Maria's Suicide as well. I'll stop babbling now. Au Revoir...!

I don't think I've played a single game on the master post in the past 2 weeks

A WAY OUT

Me and The Friend™ were running out of stuff to do one Saturday so we decided to both buy a copy of this game (which was on sale, thank god) and find out what the big deal was. A fair amount of the gameplay involved simply walking around, climbing and pressing a button when you see a button prompt, and some parts are so dense with cutscenes I would occasionally forget we were playing a game and not watching a movie, so I imagine most of the fun you'd get out of it is from playing with somebody you bounce off of well and really enjoy losing Connect 4 to. I believe we fit both criteria, and our playthrough so far has proven overall to be very funny

Highlights:

-The Friend™ talking to random strangers on the prison exterior while I was getting beaten up in the background
-We had an easier time during the rowboat segment when we weren't rowing the boat
-Breaking into an elderly couple's house to play a piano and acoustic instrument out of sync
-I left in the middle of a car chase to get a pizza out of the oven and as a result The Friend™ was stuck watching me fall off the back of a truck over and over for 5 minutes
-The last session ended abruptly in the hospital when my (Leo's) expressing frustration with a faulty vending machine was slowly drowned out by a cutscene of Vincent holding his newly born child, which was then interrupted by the online connection dying. Ladies and gentlemen, EA
Started Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening, now that it's been released on Steam. Honestly should have played it ages ago considering I contributed to its development, but that's a backlog for you.
Just looking forward to these games in 2023:

Hogwarts Legacy
Diablo IV
STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor
Street Fighter 6

author=jake-d
-The Friend™ talking to random strangers on the prison exterior while I was getting beaten up in the background

lol my friend and I also played this game, and it ended up the same way. The music segment, too. We were laughing pretty hard 'cos every segment seemed to be directly ripped from something else. I remember in the final segment where you gotta shoot at each other, instead of machine gunning each other we shot up the walls trying to make hearts and drawings as the overly dramatic music played.

Also, I lost connect 4 many times.
Marrend
I almost forgot about this thread. So, here's what updates I have that are not related to my LP.

Valkyrie Elysium

A non-zero number of consumables were burnt in the process of the remaining einherjar fights. Then, I went ahead, and completed Chapter 7, and unlocked another flurry of side-quests.

With this, my einherjar have been fully upgraded. There's still a few skills on Valkyrie's personal list, plus one remaining upgrade on each weapon I have. I don't know exactly how much there is left to this game, but, these indicators lead me to believe the final chapter might be 10, but, I could see 12.

A quick look at the Steam achievements (yes, I'm terrible) seems to indicate Chapter 9 could be the last, but, I suppose we'll see in due time if that's true.

Tales of Arise

New character time! First was Kisara, the captain of the guards in the capital of... I don't remember the name of the place. Forgive my poor memory on this point. She comes off as fiercely loyal to the lord of this region, and her brother is largely considered a traitor. You'd think this would put her in an awkward position, but, her loyalty to this Renan lord is pretty damn stalwart. Though, it probably doesn't do much good for their relationship that they don't seem to see eye-to-eye with each other to begin with.

That is, until said brother sacrifices his life to show the lord of the area what's happening under his nose. Which leads to a boss fight against said lord. After the party knocks some sense into him, he sheepishly admits that the ideal he's been pushing, one of peaceful coexistence between the two races, was merely a mechanism for hiding a painful past that he preferred to have forgotten.

Kisara couldn't believe her ears, and it took quite a bit to stop her from assassinating the Renana lord with her own hands. I... kinda get where she's coming from. Everything she is, everything she has fought for, was apparently one big lie. However, is killing that lord really going to solve anything? Or would it only make things worse?

The odd thing is that this Renan lord, Dohalim, might also be a party member. So, like, one of the five people who the party have sworn to take down is, for some reason, going to assist them in that venture. I'm just curious how that is going to pan out.

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I haven't played any proper video game since the start of the month, but I've been playing a lot of The Palaces of Carrara at BGA. I really enjoy decisions in this game rn. It wasn't like that from the start. After learning it and playing my first game I was quite underwhelmed, but after that the game unfolded to me. It's very abstract and the theme is definitely pasted on but the rondel mechanism makes the game both tactical (you can't plan ahead in terms of resources) and strategic (you can plan where you want to build and react to your opponents long term). The game has a slower start and super quick end and it haven't overstayed its welcome yet.
I really would like to own a physical copy, but I would prefer the older edition fro Hans in Gluck in a smaller box and with the expansion over the newer bigger box from Game Brewer.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
My Friend Peppa Pig (Xbox)

This isn't a joke or for the meme. My girlfriend dared me to speedrun this game since it was on GamePass. We decided that meant 100% completion of the achievements list. Below is my honest opinion of why no child should be given this game.

This game sucks.

At first it just looks like a game for little kids, which is what I was expecting. But as a former three-year-old, I found it insulting. Every time you enter a screen, the same cut-scenes play. Walked to Peppa's grandparents' farm? Cut-scene. Accidentally took one step backwards and the scene changed? Get ready to watch that cut-scene again if you go back to the farm. Talked to a character? Might trigger a cut-scene. Accidentally talk to them again when it's finished? Well strap in buddy, 'cause here we go again.

There are segments where you were in the family car and could only move in a single direction, and could hold A to move faster. But guess what? There's a random event where there is road construction and you have to listen to a couple of slow-talking workers explain that they are fixing the road but you can drive around them slowly. There is no way to prevent this from occurring; it's entirely random and it was faster to exit the game and reload than to watch the scene.

What makes this worse? The game does not tell you where to go or what to do in order to finish it. I had to use a guide. There is a certain sequence you have to travel in to complete all of the mandatory events to get to Potato City or whatever they call it and finish the game. In between those sequences, there are so many long-ass unskippable cut-scenes you might accidentally encounter over and over again. Not only is the gameplay bad and the cut-scenes unskippable, but the lack of direction means your child will probably get bored of this quickly. I would strongly recommend the Paw Patrol games instead if you are trying to teach your child how to use a controller and play games.
BUG TABLES FABLES

Whatever, I don't know if I'm comparing it too much to it's inspiration and it wasn't actually intended to be comedic or I'll find it less agonisingly unfunny later on or what, but I'm just completely ignoring the dialogue at this point. The kind of syntax every character has in this game gives me the vibe of some crappy anime dub or Canadian kids' cartoon where the delivery of each line is exaggerated to hell and nobody talks like a real person. Like it feels as if the writers (and the people online who basically demand that you play it) assumed the corniest one-liners I've ever seen in anything ever and what I think was intended to be character banter but just registers to me as sentences would be enough to get me to stand up and start clapping and going "HAHAHAHAHA I LAUGH"
I'm not even gonna talk about the actual game at all because frankly I only remember beating the mid-boss fight in chapter 2 and closing the window out of sheer exasperation

IT TAKES TWO (Ft. The Friend™)

Compared to A Way Out, this felt to me a like less of an interactive movie experience and more of a video game, so naturally we enjoyed it much more and very many wacky hijinks ensued. I forgot most of the wacky hijinks that ensued so you'll just have to trust me when I say we enjoyed it, but I assure you that there were very many of them

no connect 4 so far though
I'm giving up on Grapple Dog unfortunately. The game has been fun but the fourth boss is so impossibly hard and such a ridiculous difficulty spike that I don't think I'm ever going to have the patience to beat it. Oh well.

Sincerely, I had less stress beating bosses in Ghouls n' Ghosts.
Switching to completely different games on my list. Been playing:

Gotham Knights About ten hours in, was expecting a generic shopping list open world but it has a strange Night system, where the side objectives are just for getting loot but also contributing to unlocking the next main story line? There's only so much you can do before forwarding to the next day. I don't know if it full works as it feels like it's trying to be a weird Dead Rising schedule thing (except not at all) it feels like they scaled back the idea in development to make it more streamlined thus losing the point of it. The game is pretty mid? But I keep playing it for some reason, I guess it's a batman game where you play as people other than batman and I'm vaguely aware of these characters from the animated series. So there's a weird curiosity about "something I was exposed to but didn't get super into enough from my childhood" osmosis sort of thing.

Psychonauts 2 I watched the 22 hour documentary on and off during work last week and figured I should play this game, I think I got a good chunk of the first game done but missed out on the ending. I just... wanted to play the sequel to get the freshness and see how the game turned out based on its development. So far the game is impressive on a setpiece/environment art direction level but the gameplay is... very simple so far. It's really hard to say what doesn't work about it. I think maybe it introduces the concepts too slowy and the concepts it does introduce feel somewhat dated or basic. The movement system just lacks momentum or chaining together moves. Not that you NEED that but it's missing something.
Marrend
Valkyrie Elysium

There were a few side-quests to do before hitting up Chapter 7. The stage felt a lot smaller than the others, but, it's still probably larger than a side-quest.

Chapter 8 felt even shorter. While there might have been a side-quest still undone, I went ahead with Chapter 9, and got a clear game save. Though, I'm not 100% sure what that does for me, considering how little there is left to do in the game at the state in which I left it.

If I were to play this again, which certainly won't be anytime soon, I think I would choose a lower difficulty rating. I wouldn't call the game's overall difficulty too much, but, when it is difficult, it absolutely is too much. Well, let me put it this way. The last chapter having a boss fight, then a set of einherjar fights (which might as well be the toughest kind of boss fight there is in this game), then following that up with yet another boss, killed whatever consumables I had left. I've already uninstalled the game, but, I'm pretty sure my final game-time was somewhere around 20 hours?

Tales of Arise

The game made it sound like it would be a lot harder for Dohalim to join the party. However, it was pretty much after the boss fight in the castle. Kisara wasn't even all that pissed off at him, as he seemed willing enough to actually peruse the ideal of racial equity that he's been spouting. Now, call me crazy, but, I'm not sure if the party should be so trusting in this guy. However, I won't complain too much either.

That said, that boss fight marked pretty much the end of that chapter. There's a few side-quests that popped up, so, I'll do those before moving to the next area.

Also, screw fishing. Well, I suppose it's similar to Breath of Fire 3 where you first have to hook a fish before you have an opportunity to reel it in, but, no. I have no patience for that kind of time-sink anymore.

I'm reconsidering my bucket-list. The main story content of Fate/Extella Link was already complete. It's just a matter of how much I want to run through Free Mode. I'm not sure if I will even remember what all I was up to in Saiyuki - Journey Wes or Atelier Iris - Eternal Mana. That, alone, is enough to want to put them down, and onto the back of the emulation cycle.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Valkyria Chronicles

Ok, so I finally got around to beating Valkyria Chronicles the other week and I've gotta say, this game was made for me. The story is pretty nice, the gameplay is exactly the kind of stuff that I live for and the artistic style, music and sound effects all are pretty nice and I don't think there is much room for improvement in that regard.

Now, gameplay, what can I say? It's different from anything else I've ever played. Valkyria Chronicles is a third person turn based tactical RPG. What does that mean? Similar to Fire Emblem where you select units and move them around the battlefield to attack enemies and such, you select your individual units and move them around, however, when you select an unit, you control said unit in third person mode! Running around with WASD and the Mouse, it even extends to attacking, where you have to carefully aim your cursor over an enemy before attacking, usually aiming at weakpoints in order to get a quicker kill on foot soldiers, or a mobility kill on tanks. I see no issues with this system, and although there are some instances of invisible walls that will block your bullets even though you have a clear line of sight towards an enemy, these are rare and usually avoided due to the simple fact that the crosshairs light up differently when they are hovered over an enemy, should an invisible corner wall be in the way, the crosshairs won't change color, helping you avoid useless actions.

Now, my one major gripe with this system are the tank controls. The tank can either be controlled with WASD/Arrows Keys to move around, and the Mouse/numpad to look around. The main issue? The Mouse doesn't only look around, it also moves the tank side to side, really inhibiting your movement and wasting precious move points correcting your tank that just suddenly turned sideways because you used the mouse to look around. If you play this game, avoid the mouse while driving any tank, you'll avoid a lot of intial frustration and you'll get used using WASD and the NUMPad very quickly to move the tanks around. Aiming and firing luckily works perfectly fine with the mouse while using tanks, so it's just a minor inconvenience rather than an experience braker. All in all, I believe the controls are solid and the traversal of the varied terrain is relatively solid, besides vaulting over ledges sometimes taking a second longer than I'd like.

The art style is impeccable, it uses this pretty nice artsy almost storybook looking anime style, with onomatopeyas popping up for multiple major actions you exectute, like firing at an enemy or just driving a tank, ratatata and RMmmble being examples of these. I think they really add to the style of the game and the world is also quite varied in scenery and color, managing to get the player to visit urban, forest and desert environments. The level design is also spot in almost every mission, just a few of them are a little grindy or unfair imo, but nothing you can't get past without using some cheese.

Talking about cheese, oh man, you can cheese some of the missions (or all of them if you know what you're doing) pretty well once you get access to orders; buffs that enhance a units defense, attack, etc. Each unit also has their own set of talents that they unlock as the story progresses, as you use them in combat, or level up their specific unit class. And some of these units have some extremely overpowered if not downright broken combination of talents if combined with the buffs gained by using orders, allowing a single units to solo a mission in most instances. However, I don't think this works to the detriment of the game, as this is only really a valid tactic late in the game when you have more talents unlocked as well as orders and understand the game better.

The game also features a multitude of upgrades for your troops' weapons and tanks, with... varying effectiveness. The weaponry upgrades are all useful, they all serve a certain niche that you can easily adapt to your own personal strategy, though some are better than others if you want to do the fastest run through missions (which is the only way of getting A ranks on missions, so slow and easy does it won't help you get the highest ranks, sadly). The only major issue I have with upgrades is with the tank upgrades. Most tank upgrades are pretty useful, but a bunch of them, mainly the ones buffing the defense and HP of the treads of a tank, are pretty useless and are only a good option for a small ammount of missions (which, until you've played these missions, you can't know installing tread upgrades would pay off, because they didn't pay off in earlier missions). Having said that, I'm pretty satisfied with this aspect of the game.

Your troops also, besides their inherent talents, have troops they like and dislike, fighting more effectively, or less effectively if paired up with them, something as simple as Unit A likes Unit B and/or Unit A likes women and is therefore effective near any woman unit, etc. It really encourages you to put some units close together in a battle in order to get the best ouf of them and I personally really like this idea, it also results in specific voice lines when a unit that likes another, saves them from death. And talking about death, if a unit gets reduced to 0HP, you have a turn to retrieve them, or they die, becoming unavailable for the rest of the playthrough (special story important units are an exception, and just are removed from that battle).

All in all, I think the story, game mechanics, characters and art style are all pretty good. The soundtrack is ok most of the time, it's nothing grand, but nothing super bland either, except at some rare instances where it works really well and the final mission's OST is the best for any mission by far. The story is compelling and so are the characters and although some missions might require replays because some suddent change that, lets be honest, was pretty unfair, appears mid mission, I still think the game is pretty fair. I had very limited replays of missions and only 1 mission got me super frustrated, but I was able to get past that relatively easily once I knew what I had to do. All in all, I enjoyed the game and am looking forward to beating it again in New Game+ mode. It's one of my favorite games of all time already, as it has just the right combination of story, characters, setting and mechanics to keep me hooked for hours on end.

Phew, that was way more writing than I had expected!