2023 GAMING DIARY

LBR
I wanted to ask. How did you beat 13? I got around to the same part you're at and just sort of gave up at the next dungeon, so I was wondering how you were able to beat it so quickly. Maybe FF13 is worth another look.

Honestly if you hit a wall there's usually a strategy involving a synergist and/or saboatuer, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take out the triple dagonite / sacrifice formation in the last area. But you can skip just about most battles, there's one giant enemy you can actually walk under its legs because apparently its collisions arent just one box. The final boss in this game is weak to poison, so I went from getting crushed by some enemy types / just taking forever to outbuff/tankspank them to suddenly deleting the boss in like 4 minutes (seriously he dies in 3 poison spells regardless of your damage output). Idk if playing through FF13 was really worth it, it has a somewhat rewarding battle system in the middle but then it overstays its welcome. The big plus I guess is having full context for FFXIII-2 and by extension Lightning Returns so there's that.

@Final Fantasy 11: I noodled around in some classic private servers, the one I was on was actually pretty populated (but I think it had a grand opening?). I really wanted to get the full EQ experience but man I hate the interface and how half assed the PC port feels. I grew up on MMOs including all the shitty forgotten F2P korean ones so it's not completely out of left field for me, but definately would appreciate it more if I had a PS2 when it came out and went through thehoops at the time sort of thing. I'm also not 18 anymore so FF11's dedicated grind is somewhat out of the question, I think I got around the typical level where grouping up is mandatory? I do want to beat every FF though so I think my route is going to involve just soloing the modern revamp's story quests with the NPC party.

I will say though, I get the classic MMO experience just fine by watching vicriously through Ion Blaze's EQ videos where this guy just tells summary anecdotes of his experiences. I have no interest in playing EQ, ever. But the way he talks about the emergent stuff that comes with forced social interactions does fascinate me. Something got lost from pre-WoW but some elements have come back in the form of DayZ (til the genre it spawned got sidetracked into battle royales). It's just crazy to me how much potential there is for MMOs to make a comeback that hopefully doesn't involve bringing back a culture of people that will commit murder for getting their mcguffin sword ninja'd.
Started FF8 since I've never played it, and it got me in that mood so whoops I started FF7 as well. Probably will do 9 again once one of them is done, idk.

Also started up Disc Creatures after someone on the Discord posted a trailer for another Poke-like thing called Cassette Beasts. Totally forgot I even had it.

Unfortunately dropped Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening. Sorry, unity! It just kind of got away from me. Will have to try it again sometime, cause I was enjoying it. But I might have to start over to get back in, idk.
unity
You're magical to me.
haha, just happy to hear you were enjoying it :DDD
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Update time!

Tales of Arise

The last Renan lord has fallen, but, as one might expect, the game is maybe half over.

It makes sense the the grandmaster core would be made out of six elemental cores, rather than just five. It does seem a little too convenient for a drone, or whatever the hell that was, that swooped down after the party laid out the five elemental cores to bring out the dark-elemental core to form the grandmaster core. However, here we are regardless.

Though, since there appeared to be two sovereigns in that battle against the last Renan lord, it does kinda put into question what, exactly, the nature the Crown Contest is. Well, I should say that the question is raised again, because Alphen is also imbued with the title, and crest, of the sovereign, and he's been around for over 300 years. Though, who knows how much of that time he was actually alive and active, and not, like, locked away under carbon freezing, or whatever.

I could be wrong, but, it seems like the title and crest of the sovereign has nothing to do with owning the grandmaster core. Though, having both might go a long way in being in a ruler position in Renan society, as I know it.

Persona 5 Strikers

The first Jail has now fallen. How many are there in the game? Who knows. However, I've just started the next Jail. I've yet to run into any barriers that require leaving temporarily, but, it's still pretty early.

Legend of Legaia

The Drake Kingdom has been freed of mist, and the party moves on to the Sebucus Islands. I've already cleared Vidina's Genesis Tree, but, a good bulk of the land in the area is still mist-covered.

Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter

I keep forgetting how short this game is. Like, I went through PowerOne and hit the Centre before I knew it, then went through the Centre to the last hard-save point like lightning. At that point, it was just a matter of finishing the game.

This is a New Game+, so the recorded play-time of 16 hours 44 minutes is from both runs of the game that's from this save file.

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
April
So, the first video game of the year is Crusader Kings 2. I've only spent few hours playing it today and that might be it for some time, but it's still worth mentioning. I started a game with the Winter King mod as a Welsh ruler and that's about it. I like the smaller scope of the mod, It might be telling of my shifting taste towards board games. I miss some of the diversity of the vanilla, tho.

Edit: Still spending a lot of time with BGA.
Finished off Final Fantasy 7, this time doing all the optional stuff and getting 100% (as far as steam is concerned with achievements) for the first time. Got very annoying and tedious at some points, but I'm still happy that I did it. Finally beating the Weapons was cool even if it was just cheese strats. Felt like I put something to rest.

Ran through FF1 afterwards for a laugh, on the DoS GBA port. Used a team I've never played before. Fun times, easy as hell. Wondering how the Steam Remaster is re: difficulty. Will probably try it after I update to Win 10.
Gotham Knights (Completed)

So I beat Gotham Knights, I didn't really mention this game much because I played it on 1 hour lunch breaks (I work remote) but the game isn't really much to write about other than it was a solid beatemup with a straight forward story. I think the game gets a bad rap for essentially being a sanded down arkham games with live service elements. Which it is, but if you just want to beat some thugs as your favourite not-batman character it was a fine distraction in short chunks.

Dishonored (Completed)

Redfall came out and flopped but it had me thinking about Arkane and made me realize I haven't beaten any one of their games. My Dishonored cloud save happened to be like 2 missions away from completing it and I got through some parts got impatient then ended on a chaotic note. I don't know if I like this game much? It's pretty ok but all the powers feel geared towards outright killing so you finish the game realizing all the achievements and completionition strives towards steatlh. But I feel like it should be the other way around, stealth should be easier of the 2 options. If I can take on 10 guys by just headshotting them one by one as they go up the stairs then why am I hiding? For kicks? I guess so.

I might actually try out 2 since I got it on sale for 8 bucks why not.

FFXIII-2

I'm about 10 or so hours in so far and I think it's definately a step up from 13, only problem is the story is still eh and the characters are still heads full of bricks. It's time travel based but I almost expected to be going back in time back to events of FFXIII not like... various alternate futures that I haven't seen before. It's hard to parse out the different timelines when I don't really have a reference point of like "oh my god so that's what could have happened" instead the writing has to like show me certain things and then branch into some paradox stuff it has to do so much more work than just referencing events from a previous game. This is much better than the falcie lcie stuff though.

I think my favourite thing is the music and general vibes? It feels like a weird mish mash of an RPG trying different weird stuff. It's kind of hilarious how much they 180'd on just about everything people complained about. No hallways, lot of looping and side quests, reasons to come back to areas long after, and like an actual sense of flow. I feel like when you hear someone complain about FF13 having hallways and it's like so? Doesn't every linear RPG have that kind of design? But jumping to 2 it's like wait no there's nuance to even the most linear of games when you consider giving a purpose to every area more than just a setpiece. The stark constrast between the two games is very illustrative of that.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster (iOS)

Bought and finished Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster last week. Less than 10 hours from start to finish; the game felt so much longer on the NES and DS versions. Bosses were much weaker than in the old 3D remake, and the faster game speed over all of the older versions (excluding I think the PSP port of the DS game which had a fast-forward option or something?). I liked FFIII with the older ports but the pixel remaster was disappointing with the removal of defined characters, reduction of difficulty, and astonishingly short playtime for the price. I never felt the need to play around with the classes and all bosses were a first-attempt victory with some going down in two turns compared to the older versions where it would take at least a few. I want to grab FFV since I liked that one as well when I beat it on GBA but I'm worried they nerfed that one too. The iOS versions lack the QoL improvements that they added for the Switch/PS4 releases, so I can only imagine how easy the games become when you can mess with the encounter rate.
Finished FF1 Pixel Remaster, wasn't much different besides some quality of life upgrades, a lovely rendition of the soundtrack and some slick spell animations. Definitely a definitive way to play the game for modern audiences.
Marrend
Tales of Arise

At some point, the game disabled fast travel back to the previous four areas, the in-game explanation being that the party got to the fifth area by way of boat, and it kinda did sink in transit. However, now that I've found an underground path leading back to area #2, fast travel became more generally avaialbe across the entire game that I've explored.

Which is good, because there were a number of side-quests that I had throughouly ignored for ages, and can now complete. How long I was sidetracked, I can't really say, but, after some time, I felt I just needed to get on with it.

Not that I have any idea exactly how much game there is left, but, I figure, I should be finishing by the next time I post an update.

Persona 5 Strikers

A bit more sidequesting before hitting the main storyline. The game made it sound like there were repeatible missions you could accomplish, but, I don't think they threw any at me? At least, for now. The second Jail's master is about to fall as I type this, story-wise, so, maybe some get thrown at me with the third.

As it turns out, I was just reading the UI a bit wrong. There's quests with the "DONE!" sticker, but also have a checkbox to indicate they are repeatible. Of course, there were new quests added when I hit the next area, as expected.

Legend of Legaia

Started off arriviing at Octam, proper, listening to Hari, and stopping the earthquakes. I find it somewhat interesting that Vahn doesn't have an additional reason to clear the world of Mist. Gala is slightly more about persuing Songi over clearing the world of Mist, but, doing so happens to have a similar path. As for Noa, she's trying to find her parents. They're supposedly in Conkram, but I don't exactly recall where that is in relationship to my current game postion. Definetly not this area. Maybe the next?

Final Fantasy - As Fate May Have it

This is a playtest run of the game that I technically started in April, but, it's been a very on-again-off again affair.

I did a playtest on an earlier build sometime in August of last year. While I don't necessarily recall all the things that I noted, or gave advice on, there are a lot of things that were left unchanged. I get that certain things can have a priority over other things when doing game development. However, as I play this, and have reason to believe they applied maybe 10% of the gamefixes I pointed out, it's just... terribly demoralizing as a tester.

Marrend
I think my updates from this point forward are just gonna be "hey, this is a cool/neat thing that happened". Saying that...

Tales of Arise - Completed!

I pushed finishing game pretty hard. Though, the game threw what felt like a point of no return every other event, or something. So that might have had something to do with it!

I'm not sure if all the plot-twists they threw down at the end-game were entirely necessary. Though, when I saw what the Renana surface actually looked like, I thought there might be some kind of terraforming project going on. This didn't seem the case at all, and more like just one greedy/voracious spirit that can only consume astral energy, leaving gargantuan amounts of hallowed... things in it's wake.

Of course, even if the spirit, and those that blindly followed it, is banished, the effect they had on Renans and Dahnas alike have been felt for the past 300 years. It might not be an easy road to recovery, but, when are such things ever really easy? Totally outside the scope of the game, though.

I forgot to check what my clear game save time was, but, Steam has me recorded with 51.9 hours of play-time. Which is probably close enough for the purposes of this thread.

Marrend
Persona 5 Strikers

With the third Monarch down, there was some question as to what to do next. The Jails are still around, even without the Monarchs, so, there must be some other source for them. The trail leads to a not particularly well-known factory, so, it's up to the party to sniff out where, exactly, it is.

Haru made such an awesome showing against that Monarch. Not just in the cut-scene, but, while fighting it, since is has a weakness to psychic attacks. Though, maybe this is my personal bias showing, as Haru is my favorite character from the original Persona 5. The Monarch before that was probably weak to ice, which would have pointed players to Yusuke. Who was arguably the party member most focused on during that arc. Meanwhile, with the first Monarch, the most focused-on party member was Ann, so, I can't help but to wonder if that boss was weak to fire.

They gave Makoto some time in the sun during a stop along the way to the current location in-game (which I cannot recall right now), but, it might be too early to say for sure if she'll be the "star" character for the upcoming arc.

*Edit:
Legend of Legaia

So, I'm currently in Sol Tower, and have retrieved the Genesis Tree Sapling. The next move is to feed the Sage's Chests (I think there are 8 of them?), and get to the bottom of the tower.

Meeting Gaza largely suggested Noa could be a somebody. I'm pretty sure the reveal is in Conkram, but, I'm not sure if the game really goes anywhere with the reveal. I suppose the game could be saying "Noa is just Noa".

Marrend
Legend of Legaia

The Genesis Tree at the bottom of Sol Tower has been revived. Naturally, there's still mist to be had in the area, but, the mist generator is on a floating fortress. How does one even reach such a place?

Marrend
Persona 5 Strikers

Well, this feels like an odd update, but, my party did "complete" a Jail, even if the wasn't a Monarch associated with it. I will say that the "star" of this show was more the original character of this game, Sophie. Though, the game abolsutely set up the possibility of a Jail where the Monarch had already fallen, as that's the entire reason one can revisit old Jails.

The investigation doesn't necessarily end here. A USB disk contained a list of individuals whose hearts have changed. With a peculiar tendency for the members on said list to have government offices, or other positions of influence, or power. If there is a mastermind behind all this, it's someone who has something to gain from having such individuals have their hearts change for the worse.

It kinda feels like things might be coming to a head soon. There is likely to be a fifth jail, and maybe a sixth. As to where they will be, or what I'll find there, who knows?

Marrend
Persona 5 Strikers

I'm not sure if I could have predicted who the Monarch of the fifth Jail would be, or if another Persona user would arise/awaken during it. The game's characters sound confident that the next Jail will be the last, but, I'm not entirely sure. It's fine if it's true, but, I suppose I'll see.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I haven't updated this in a while, but that's mostly because I haven't played any video games.
All of my turn based games on BGA ended and I haven't played a real time game in a while.
Marrend
Legend of Legaia

The Floating Castle has fallen to the ground, with thanks to the Soren. It will be with their help once more that we'll move on to Conkram, and the final arc of the game.

Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (iOS)

Much better than the FFIII remaster which felt nerfed so far beyond the original game that it wasn't really fun. FFV remaster removes some of the ways you could cheese the boss battles, so it's slightly more challenging than previous remasters and remakes in that regard. It lacks the bonus content from the GBA version though.

SMT: Soul Hackers 2

This game was better than the lackluster and middling reviews made it out to be, but you can definitely feel how much Persona 5 is creeping into the other SMT spin-off games with the social ranks and the way they have you feel like you're building relationships with certain shopkeepers and NPCs. The visuals within the main hub were good, but the dungeons are some of the ugliest uninspired hallways I've ever seen in a modern JRPG; even Yakuza: Like A Dragon had better dungeons and that game was also a series of hallways outside of the main hubs (and the main hubs were just a series of alleyways, but at least they were attractive alleyways). The music was one of the game's stronger points, and the character designs were decent if at times over-designed. The design for the final boss was also pretty good, with the rest of the game being mostly your standard SMT demons that you know by heart. My biggest issues with the game was that it's pretty short for an SMT game, with my final playtime being under 30 hours after defeating the final boss. The game tries to pad this by locking some of the achievements/trophies behind a New Game +, as you need 200 social points to reach the deepest levels of each character's personal dungeon (and the associated side quests), and each playthrough serves as a multiplier for the amount you gain. You can't gain enough in the first run to get through the final checkpoints of those dungeons.
Marrend
Final Fantasy - As Fate May Have It - Cancelled!

I was hit with a black screen bug during my test play ;_;

Still, I was able to play about 12 and a half hours into the game. I sent a PM to Jparker1984 concerning this, plus a bunch of other things I saw, among other commentary.

Marrend
Castlevania - Curse of Darkness - Started

I did a three-ish hour stream of this on Discord, and having what additional commentary that was made during it made it a bit more fun. The conversation was in the text chat, and I didn't mind pausing every so often to insert my own quips.

Next streaming session (which might be this again) might be Sunday, but, is more likely to be on Tuesday. Specific times will be mentioned on Discord, as that platform has a relative time-stamp option.