GOALING IT 2024

Pages: 1
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It's that time, another year is beginning and It's a great opportunity to set goals. So, go ahead and write down what you would like to achieve this year. You can follow my example or come up with your own way. You can focus solely on your gammak goals or your personals ones. I tend to combine them both, trying to be realistic.

The previous year brought some big changes to my life and my goals for this year reflect that. My overall goals might be more vague than ever. That's for multiple reasons. I'm trying to keep their number low, I'm trying to keep them achievable and things might change again. I will try to elaborate on my goals and what I have on my mind, tho. The most important goals are in bold letters and secondary ones are in italics.

My goals:
1. Finish Soma Union and write a review
2. Get in shape and climb more
3. Travel abroad
4. Start dating again

5. Gammak

The first goal is one I have from the previous year. I really want to finish that game and write it again. It's one of the more memorable RM games, there's a lot to take from its design and I guess it should be an easy goal to achieve.
The second is closely related to the second half of 2023. I was super committed to my job and I dismissed my physical health. I want to work on that. I usually feel better, have more energy and more self-esteem when actively doing a physical activity and right now I feel tired and sick all the time.
I'll almost certainly travel abroad this year. So, accomplishing the goal should be easy. I plan 3 or 4 journeys. The first one should be to Italy in February. In March I should spend two weekends abroad. One in Leipzig and one in Croatia. The last trip I plan is either to Indonesia or Africa. That one is the actual real goal here, but I wouldn't feel too bad if I failed it.
Next on, my personal life got sacrificed in last four months and I feel lonely sometimes. It's time to slap myself and instead of doing nothing start being active in seeking out romance.
And yes, the final goal is gammak. I want to talk about this a little bit more in detail. I haven't touched RM or any other proper engine in years and all my skills are forgotten, but rn I have time I can commit to this and I have projects I want to finish. The first one might be a short bitsy games, just to get something finished fast. After that It's time to finish Left Behind 2 and Burnt Ones. The first one shouldn't take too much time, but I want it to be a deeper, more polished experience than the original. Burnt Ones are a spicier project. I like the world I created for it and the backbone of its story. Other than that I'm starting from a scratch, I might even use a different game engine.
The last thing I would want to work on is a small metroidvania game, but I don't have any concrete plans for that one. Maybe I will fit in a jam game as well.

Btw, if you're looking for inspiration for your goals, you can search through previous threads:
Goaling It 2023
Goaling It 2021
Goaling it 2020
Goaling it 2019

https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/26714/?post=939525#post939525

Same as last year, but preparing for the worst, so I can be the best™.

Hope everyone's year here, turns out better.

Unrelated, but to fill in space here's a cool game I played growing up called "Chopper Commando" made by Mark Currie from 1988 on MS-Dos:

You had to learn how to fly and to land, you could press E to eject from the helicopter and if it crashed the base would send you a new one. you could fire bombs, missles and a gun, but i think the coolest part was just flying the helicopter itself - it didn't do a lot, but it did a lot with what it had.

To remember how far the medium has come from super mario, I think about this game a lot when playing current games. I think I'll always marvel at small interesting stuff cause it'll never not be amazing to me.

I dunno.
I just think about this game alot.
Best wishes for 2024
I could just use my Goal list from 10 years ago since I haven't achieved anything on it
I don't really have goals per say but I bought myself some DnD books over the holiday break and ran my first game as a DM with roommates. I've played tabletop sort of on and off but never actually dipped into it til now, it's a fresh new hobby for me. Though it feels like making a video game for a small group of people but it's open and infinite possibilities so long as they cross the occasional mandatory setpiece.
I'm happy to say I hit my goal last year of finally paying off my student loans. My goals for this year are a bit different though.
1. Make a career change. Done with blue collar work, I genuinely want a boring (stable) office job.
2. Finish at least 6 dungeons in my game.
3. Get my blue belt in Jiu Jitsu.
4. Start building a business.

I'm turning 30 next month and I want to start taking life more seriously. Hoping I can make some really positive changes this year.
author=Darken
I don't really have goals per say but I bought myself some DnD books over the holiday break and ran my first game as a DM with roommates. I've played tabletop sort of on and off but never actually dipped into it til now, it's a fresh new hobby for me. Though it feels like making a video game for a small group of people but it's open and infinite possibilities so long as they cross the occasional mandatory setpiece.

We as a family are also starting D&D session for the first time. Our experience involves watching it being played on Big Bang Theory a few times, and me playing Baldurs Gate 30 years ago (so I am DM).

I am being very loosey goosey with the strict rules and trying my best to figure it out and be entertaining, especially to my two kids. The 11yo is into it and likes it a lot. The 14yo is somewhat indifferent. My wife is being kinda antagonistic and uncooperative and it's really starting to suck the life I'm trying to breathe into the game - we just had our 3rd or 4th session tonight and I'm venting a bit.
Anyways its our first time so we are using prebuilt characters that came with the starter set and the intro quests in Phandalin that are available for free online. I am also running PC to bump up our party to 4 players and to try to help guide the team through as we learn. After a disastrous first session (where we dove right in to the Essentials Kit quests) where our lvl 1 heroes were all about to die, i did some research and retconned it all as a bad dream of my PC and restarted things, and ran a lvl 1 geared session that I found called A Strange Brew (or something). It went well, and I tied it into the Starter Set quest, which seems more story-driven and focused than whatever is in the Essentials kit.
Yeah I boosted characters to level 2 after some basic ability checks before combat because the HP values on level 1s are nuts and is probably the hardest level to be at with no flexibility (and also I'm just playing with two roommates). We're nearing the end of the free Frozen Sick adventure but I'm probably going to make my own adventure next and just bastardize the existing setting. The JRPG/RPGmaker part of my brain still has me ripping encounters from existing adventures to make sure it's somewhat balanced (and just rename wolf to bandit or whatever if the theme doesn't match because fuck it). Also the PCs managed to convert some NPCs into their religion so I gave them cultist "followers" as controllable companions to offset things more.

The gist I get from this hobby is that it's really about tooling the content around the player preferences. If they like RPing or escape room scenarios then just make it mostly about that, or put in a very arbitrary puzzle gimmick that autowins combat if they figure it out. Though it also works both ways I guess, players have to care and know what they want. The curse of the DM is that you become the most invested and care the most and the dynamic/vibe is everything.

But yeah I hope it adds to the social bonding with the fam. There's a snow storm coming on dnd night and I got the miniatures and mats ready in case the power goes out. It's fun to get off the computer but still do something nerdy with other people.
This is the first year in a long time I bothered having any goals or "resolutions" specifically. Mostly because they're more like general reminders of things I wanted to do, but were being held back because of my alcohol addiction. Now that I'm sober I can actually work towards doing some of it:

1.Stay Sober (that's pretty important)
2.Read more books
3.Watch at least a FEW more movies than usual
4.Get some actual gamedev done for once
5.Keep losing weight (kind of a double with #1 for obvious reasons)

They may seem a little silly, but I mean, I collect movies and have tons of books I've been meaning to get around to, and not to mention game(s) I SHOULD be actually working on since its important to me personally, but just ignored all of that in favour of slurping down poison every day for the last few years.

I think also the books and movies are kind of important to getting myself running again with the gamedev. It's all like learning how to actually be inspired again, or to break things down and understand them again, or something. Maybe just to enjoy things again.

2024 is basically about just figuring out how to be a real person with goals and experiences again, at least ones that don't revolve around the the next bottle of liquor. It's been hard to figure out but I feel better about it more and more over time, like I'm getting it again in small bursts.
That reminds me I should pour myself a drink.

Truthfully, after having a drink or two to get a little buzz makes me feel "normal" - like my brain settles down and gets more coherent and focused, instead of the frenetic buzz that is the usual, where i am thinking about 3 different things and having imaginary conversations and visualizing situations all with like a constant music soundtrack in the background (right now it is BWH - Stop).
Sleep. I don't sleep enough.
author=kentona
That reminds me I should pour myself a drink.

Truthfully, after having a drink or two to get a little buzz makes me feel "normal" - like my brain settles down and gets more coherent and focused, instead of the frenetic buzz that is the usual, where i am thinking about 3 different things and having imaginary conversations and visualizing situations all with like a constant music soundtrack in the background (right now it is BWH - Stop).

this suddenly sounds like a better drug than concerta.
author=Darken
this suddenly sounds like a better drug than concerta.

i feel like you are trying to tell me something....
Goals for this year:
Another game in XP
My first game in SRPG Studio
4 games total this year.
4 Books at least read.
3 Games beaten.
and 1 article written every month.
1. Celebrate Valentine's Day somehow - Trying to make art today that I started working on the beginning of the month but could not finish for some reason.
2. Trying to learn C++, HTML and JavaScript since I have already gone through full tutorials on them, but not retained enough information (and I am feeling much more mentally capable with recent improvements in my nutrition).
3. Try to be social somehow when I feel too absorbed in other things or upset that I did not get anything done for the 10th day in a row.
4. Try to get back into writing a journal/diary because I no longer have to avoid a deeply traumatic situation being focused on, which was the reason I stopped - it caused me to get way too upset because of how stressful and unfair things felt.
5. Become more organized with my nutritional knowledge as well as knowledge about my stories (I actually succeeded in this a little with Zim Wiki).
Where's Kentona,
Kentona look at me,
I'm working on my to-do-list backwards to outsmart my procrastination.
I would like to get around to finishing one of my myriad of games that I have just lying around.
Some are for personal use as I like to just experiment what I can do with the program and the other ones they're not even out of the door, yet a vague concept of idea has not even been formed with some of my other projects, and they're super short I should get around to finishing them...
But the espressos don't make my depresso go away
https://rpgmaker.net/games/3952/blog/25598/

I've been thinking about this blog post a lot. Especially the last part about finishing ideas while they're still fresh in your mind.
This year has been kind of tumultuous, as well as the previous years and the ones going forward.

I probably won't join the boulevard dreams event this year. But I hope everyone continues to remain safe while working on what they love. etc
Pages: 1