END THE 2009 MISAOS DO (RESULTS ARE IN!)

Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
As of 12:01am on February 17th, 2009, the 2008 Misaos Awards are active. Most of you probably think you know the drill, but we're doing things a little differently this time around. Some key things to take note of:

- Category nominations this year are fixed. That is, they were pre-determined by rpgmaker.net with feedback from our users. Hopefully this will allow for a more consistent process from year to year. However, our web application hasn't changed so it will just like like I (rcholbert) am a big jerk.

- As a reminder, only games that were actually released during the 2008 calendar year are eligible. Games that were released in the years previous are ineligible, unless they had a re-release with a substantial amount of content changes and/or bugfixes. Games released in the 2009 calendar year are also ineligible unless they had a prior release in the 2008 calendar year. For a fairly comprehensive listing of 2008 games, visit here: http://www.rpgmaker.net/forums/index.php?topic=3067.0

- rpgmaker.net will be actively monitoring the nomination and voting processes. Any attempts to game the system, whether by outright cheating or "poll flooding" will result in disciplinary action up to and including permanent bans for the users involved and their game being rendered ineligible for the Misaos. One person, one vote, no groupthink. We will not be terribly lenient with this.

- You cannot nominate or vote for your own project.

The timeline for the remaining processes should each last one week and are as follows:

- Game nominations will run from 12:01am CST on February 18th, 2009 until 11:00pm CST February 24th, 2009.

- Game voting will commence sometime on February 25th, 2009 and last through March 3rd, 2009.

- The official results will be tallied and announced the following week.

Get nominatin' and spread the word!

Update: If you decide to go ahead and nominate the same game for every single category, particulary the best and worst game categories, I will nullify your vote. It doesn't even make sense.

Edit: Final Results!

OFFICIAL WINNERS LIST

GOTY: Game of the Year - Balmung Cycle
GOTY: Best RPG - Balmung Cycle
GOTY: Best Non-RPG - SkyE
GOTY: Best Completed Game - Balmung Cycle
GOTY: Most Promising Demo - Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis

Writing: Best Storytelling and Direction - Do You Remember My Lullaby
Writing: Best Plot - Quintessence - The Blighted Venom
Writing: Best Dialogue - Master of the Wind
Writing: Best Character - Shadar (Demon Legacy)
Writing: Best Setting - Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

Audio-visual: Best Atmosphere - Quintessence - The Blighted Venom
Audio-visual: Best Graphics & Artwork - TIE! Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis & U.S.G. & A New Beginning
Audio-visual: Best Music - Quintessence - The Blighted Venom
Audio-visual: Best Sound - Balmung Cycle
Audio-visual: Best Cinematics - Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

Game Design: Most Technical Prowess (Coding Award) - U.S.G. - A New Beginning
Game Design: Best Game Design - Balmung Cycle
Game Design: Best Level Design - TIE! Balmung Cycle & Master of the Wind
Game Design: Best Interface Design - U.S.G. - A New Beginning
Game Design: Most Fun - U.S.G. - A New Beginning

Wisao: Worst Game of the Year - sonic and mario
Wisao: Biggest Disappointment (Overhyped Award) - Monopolo
Wisao: Worst Case of Vaporitis - Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden (by default)
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Hail the high overlord & grand poobah!

You guys are providing the list of released games in the topics advertising these right?
Alright! I must of given Barkley like half of the nominations, I also gave some to Magi, Skie & Neok. Oooo Carius too! This is awesome! Good luck everyone else!

(ignore what I said before, don't wanna start a war)
Sorry for the double post! But hey!? For everyone who DIDN'T win anything this year, can we have this guy show up and give us our consolation prizes!? :P

My last year doing this thing, I'm getting pretty tired of meeting death every single year, at least this time we got to play a game that's almost done soon, he liked it...said it's been fun, and left. :)
Please do not whine about who loses a popularity contest, S4D.

Also, for anybody that did not nominate a specific thing when suggested (such as best character), your choices can't be counted.
I'm just TRYYYYYINNNNNN to be fun-nay! Jesus...I tell you, there are a lot of stiffs on this board anyways...

Um...just for future reference, if the author does not wish for his / her game to be nominated, can that be justified? ???
Don't joke about the Misaos, there is some serious fucking shit going down here. Anyone who cheats will feel the wraith of my unkind.
author=silver4donuts link=topic=3178.msg62436#msg62436 date=1234949841
Um...just for future reference, if the author does not wish for his / her game to be nominated, can that be justified? ???

I tend to think this would get messy.

So probably not.
DE
*click to edit*
Misao.

It has begun.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Here I thought I'd at least get a nomination for Best Setting.

Also, worst case of vaporitis WILL be Monopolo.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I don't think so... who cares about it in the first place? I mean, I'd play it if it ever actually came out but I'm not anticipating it.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I cared about it :'(
I actually couldn't care less about the Misaos, but now it's starting I'm getting into the spirit of it. It's quite hard to choose games, there's so many that deserve one!
Cool beans.

For reference, here is the list of categories:

Misaos Categories

GOTY
------------------
Game of the Year
Best RPG
Best Non-RPG
Best Completed Game
Most Promising Demo

Writing
------------------
Best Storytelling and Direction
Best Plot
Best Dialogue
Best Character
Best Setting

Audiovisual
------------------
Best Atmosphere
Best Graphics & Artwork
Best Music
Best Sound
Best Cinematics

Game Design
------------------
Most Technical Prowess (Coding Award)
Best Game Design
Best Level Design
Best Interface Design
Most Fun

Wisaos
-----------------
Worst Game of the Year
Biggest Disappointment (Overhyped Award)
Worst Case of Vaporitis

20 Misaos proper, 3 Wisaos (or, in physics, Anti-Misaos)
Incredibly, it seems I have gotten a few nominations.

Of course, the only thing I ever stand a chance of winning with that busted demo is for the writing stuff.
I've always wondered how you pronounce Misao and where it got it's name from
:-X
Ah, shit. ArtBane's nominations reminded me of Iji.

I can't believe I forgot that.

Now I regret quite a few of my choices. :<