STAR OCEAN

Pages: first 12 next last
I used an emulator and translated this game from Japanese to English for the SNES just to play it and it was really worth it. One of the best games for SNES. Now so many years later, they FINALLY make another. I can't wait to play it! Anyone else anticipating it's release? By the way, I am still active, just nothing interesting has happened.
You do know they've released two other Star Ocean games since the first one on SNES? I'll assume that you did, by virtue that this new iteration is titled Star Ocean 4 =)

I am playing it right now. 30 hours in, still on disc 1 of 3. Can't say much for the dialogue, and the story thus far hasn't been incredible, but it sure is fun.

Edit: Ok, it's not actually called Star Ocean 4, it's called Star Ocean: The Last Hope. My mistake =)
There's actually six Star Ocean games. There's two that came out for the PSP.
author=Natook link=topic=3347.msg66738#msg66738 date=1237167690
There's actually six Star Ocean games. There's two that came out for the PSP.
They're just remakes of 1 and 2, aren't they? Do they really add anything?
Yeah, they're just remakes of 1 and 2, so I wouldn't really consider them "New" games.
There's five, not counting ports/remakes

Remember Blue Sphere?
I'd almost consider them "new", considering 1 wasn't released in the west, and the 2 update seems to have improved on things A LOT. (cough cough, Claude's voice...)
author=Atavus Dei link=topic=3347.msg66748#msg66748 date=1237170353
I'd almost consider them "new", considering 1 wasn't released in the west, and the 2 update seems to have improved on things A LOT. (cough cough, Claude's voice...)
How could it POSSIBLY be SO2 without "TEAAAAAAR INTO PIECES?!"
No way man. Part of the charm SO2 had was the hilariously bad VA work. Sure most of the localization needs work but not the VA stuff.

And its not Tear into Pieces it's PEARS TO PEACHES.
Star Ocean: the Second Story was an amazing amazing RPG, and probably one of the best for the PSX.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3347.msg66746#msg66746 date=1237170324
Remember Blue Sphere?

That game had amazing graphics for a gameboy color game.

author=Canuck link=topic=3347.msg66860#msg66860 date=1237290083
Star Ocean: the Second Story was an amazing amazing RPG, and probably one of the best for the PSX.

I wouldn't say that, but it was very enjoyable once the story picked up. The characters were really unique, minus a few bores (Diaz and Ernest, in particular).

SO2 was definitely better than the mess that was SO3, though.
Part 3 was really good, but when that last part with the final story twist was really degrading... that's when I really got dissapointed, but overall I loved everything else about the game.

I never really bothered to play Star Ocean 1... I checked it out in the emulator, but never really have drawn my attention to actually sit down and play it through the end. I was replaying Star Ocean 2 a couple months, but stopped to play suikoden II, then I beated that, and haven't gone back to play it again even though I'm almost done with the first disc.

Well if you are a fan of the series, I recommend you get the PSP ones, they have fixed some things, and added extra stuff, plus the game looks slightly better in graphical terms, at least part 1 though.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Star Ocean 3 was absolute shit no matter how you look at it. I almost fell asleep within the first ten minutes of the game. I honestly don't know how people can enjoy that monstrosity of an Rpg.
Haha Star Ocean 4 is so weird, man. It's a good game, but really only because of its battle system and the expansion of the space theme. That, and you literally have to put 12 hours into the game before the story picks up and gets pretty good. It's such an unfriendly game, but it's good if you get past that and the female voice acting (excluding Reimi). I think it's better than SO3, and on par with SO2 only because there is much more variety in the environments due to the increase of the whole space theme (and good gameplay).

They did such a horrible job on the dungeon design though. They are enormous and there's nothing interesting going on in them except for annoying puzzles. They don't even give you hints on how to solve the puzzles, and you usually have to find some dumb items in order to get through some areas. Also they messed up on the item creation by making it only available ON YOUR SHIP. That's so dumb, you don't spend ANY time on your ship in the game. And to access it again, you have to backtrack so much (no teleport skill). I'm on Roak, and I really don't want to go back to my ship for this.

I like what they did with Roak, though. They did a good job on tying this game with the older Star Ocean games. The familiar tunes are nice as well.

What is with the plot twist near the end of the first disc? Did they seriously do that? YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONES, really now.
author=Tau link=topic=3347.msg67044#msg67044 date=1237500291
Star Ocean 3 was absolute shit no matter how you look at it. I almost fell asleep within the first ten minutes of the game. I honestly don't know how people can enjoy that monstrosity of an Rpg.

It's not your thing man... that's the only thing I can come up with, cause really, out of all rpgs, the games I rarely get bored of are the star ocean series, well maybe except for part one.

But don't get me wrong, Star ocean series never been a monstruosity, Tri-Ace really know how to deliver good rpgs, some of the series or the games made by tri-ace are greatest hits.

Neophyte: That's weird, I remember that you could only create items in those creation houses you set up your inventors in part 3, you're probably used to the SO2 way of creating items.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
That's the thing I really liked Second Story but Til the End of Time was just so bad I could only force myself about halfway through until I just said "Fuck it" this game is just plain shit.
author=Tau link=topic=3347.msg67056#msg67056 date=1237504510
That's the thing I really liked Second Story but Til the End of Time was just so bad I could only force myself about halfway through until I just said "Fuck it" this game is just plain shit.

I remember the beginning of the game being really sluggish. Especially when you meet that annoying little girl, the cutscenes seemed annoyingly long and drawn out on purpose.

The dialogue in SO4 hasn't improved much, either. However, they both drew me in with the gameplay. Now I'm just hoping that the ending to SO4 isn't anything as remotely horrible as SO3's.
If you are playing Star Ocean for the writing then you are playing Star Ocean for the wrong reasons. The best Star Ocean would cut out those damn hour+ long scenes and go "You are in space. Have a space ship. Fly around. Do shit." because any plot or story or characters in a Star Ocean game are as interesting and engaging as somebody having fun with an electric pencil sharpener. The gameplay is what I know Tri-Ace for.
author=Tau link=topic=3347.msg67044#msg67044 date=1237500291
Star Ocean 3 was one of the funnest RPGs I've ever played. As in "I would intentionally get into fights I could avoid and that wouldn't even give me decent exprience just because the game CONTINUED to be fun to play, even after 80+ hours."

"It's bad no matter how you look at it" is just a flat out false statement. "It's bad from all the aspects I care about" maybe.
Pages: first 12 next last