BEST RM GAMES YOU'VE EVER PLAYED

author=Dark Gaia link=topic=3549.msg71330#msg71330 date=1240125743
I have 49GB of RM games on my computer...

welp. I have 31 gb, and over the past two years, I've only downloaded like 6 RPGMaker games. Er, I only have 1 VX game and a few XP games, as well, I think those take up more space.

author=Karsuman link=topic=3549.msg71367#msg71367 date=1240157610
Huh, I was never big on Forgotten Origin. In matter of fact, I found it nigh unplayable. Maybe it's because I heard all of the plot and it sounded a lot like Beloved Rapture.

o_O? I never really noticed any connection at all, and I still don't.

Aveyond is garbage, btw.
author=AznChipmunk link=topic=3549.msg71400#msg71400 date=1240172915
author=Dark Gaia link=topic=3549.msg71330#msg71330 date=1240125743
I have 49GB of RM games on my computer...

welp. I have 31 gb, and over the past two years, I've only downloaded like 6 RPGMaker games. Er, I only have 1 VX game and a few XP games, as well, I think those take up more space.

author=Karsuman link=topic=3549.msg71367#msg71367 date=1240157610
Huh, I was never big on Forgotten Origin. In matter of fact, I found it nigh unplayable. Maybe it's because I heard all of the plot and it sounded a lot like Beloved Rapture.

o_O? I never really noticed any connection at all, and I still don't.

Aveyond is garbage, btw.

I'd go into it here but I'll save Blind all the misery. =)
Top Ten

10. Sore Losers - this game deserves more attention, seriously.
9. Devil Hunter: Seeker of Power - may not have the greatest dialogue, but good ol' classic RPG fun.
8. Kindred Saga - one of the first RPG maker games I've played; although it's only a demo and borrows heavily from FFVII, this will always be one of my top favorites.
7. Zephyrus and the Kingdom of Heaven - I'm surprised this game hasn't gotten more attention, since it definitely one of the more solid complete games out there
6. Phantom Legacy - must have more; more, damn it!
5. Hero's Realm - utterly addictive (UGH, why did my saved game have to disappear? WHY??)
4. A Blurred Line - it's like Fugitive meets RPG Maker; how can I not like it?
3. Balmung Cycle - one of the most clean-cut, balanced, and consistent games I've ever seen
2. The Way - probably would've gotten number 1 if it weren't for those monotonous battles (I hate the 2000 battle system)
1. Demon Legacy - storytelling and balanced gameplay at it's best

Honorable Mentions

Legacies of Dondoran - I did like this game, but not as much as everybody else has; the whole Krysta and Tyranos love thing didn't really make any sense to me.
Grave Spirit - beautiful game, with a haunting soundtrack, I just wish the puzzles were a little harder and the main character walked faster.
Ascendence - I've got a feeling when this game is complete, it will be making my top ten.
The Legend of the Philosopher's Stone - loved the custom battle system; the story...meh.
Laxius Power 3 - quantity over quality, I suppose; still it's size and depth make it pretty fun.

Games That Should Be Erased From Existence

Phantasia 3 - some of the dumbest dialogue I've ever seen ever!!
Final Fantasy Dreams - putting everyone's favorite FF characters together in one game must make it good, right?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
My list may not be of my favourite top ten but it's just the games I enjoyed most when playing them as I don't really have a favourite Rpgmaker game as their just kinda pass times for me. Although a couple of games have had an impact on me over the years.

1. A Blurred Line - An awe inspiring game that seriously drew me in and showed me that not all Rm2k/3 games are just recreations of Final Fantasy. As soon as the game started I was blown away by it's simplistic design yet engrossing story and characters. It is still the only rpgmaker game to bring a true essence of emotion to the main character.. Although that's just my opinion though.

2. Gens 2 - Ever since Epiphany Gaming Ive liked the Genesis Project and looked forward to each release/installment. This is just a really good, well made game that has a neat story behind it that does enough to interest you. Just a good game to get into and doesn't drag on or take itself too seriously with a certain charm to it.

3. Grave Spirit - This game was obviously inspired by the likes of Ico & Shadow of the Collosus(Which is being made into a movie by the guy who made Legend of Chun Li.. WTF!?) two games I very much liked so this game drew me in almost immediately. Zohaib has made an incredible game and although the story is very simple, it's Grave Spirits gameplay and subtle themes/atmosphere that really draws you in. With yet another great soundtrack made by Mala that captures the games feeling to no end. Pretty cool boss battles to go with it.

4. Deadly Rivals - This old game that no one knows of wasn't a masterpiece but a crazy little side scrolling beat em up made by the guy who made Ryuukishi No Me series. The graphics were just rips of River City Ransom and played pretty much the same. But what go me wasn't the fabulously made battle system(By Rusty of all people) but the cooky characters and style in which the game took inspiration from. Even taking the piss at some old Resident Evil games and hardcore RPGs it was a fun experience overall.

5. Wilfred The Hero - One of the most impressive Rpgmaker games ever made. From its subtle gameplay to its beautiful graphics and music. This game had it all. After much flac given to Maladrothim for it's delayed release and too many people anticipating its release. Wilfred The Hero was released and I couldn't have been anymore happy with its finished product. The game also took me by surprise with how polished and the characterization of the main characters. Truly a diamond in the rough.

6. Stupidest Game Ever Made Re-duh - This game was hillarious taking bits and pieces from Monty Python and other classic parody movies. It was a true blend of comedy and gameplay that is still unmatched even today by any parody game in Rpgmaker. Also contains the most incredible save point for any game ever made in existence.

7. Seekers of the Sun - For its time(And even by todays standards) this game is pretty well made with it's Chrono Trigger battle system(Unfinished) & unique plot it blew me away, especially being one of the first games I'd played and still one of the most enjoyable. I do think it tried too hard though to come across as I don't know "Epic" I guess. Well worth a play though.

8. Devil Hunter Seeker of Power - This game really isn't the best and you know as soon as you play it. But the overall adventure and very traditional gameplay makes it a fun rpg to play through just on its amazing resemblence to a good ole SNES rpg. If their were any game I felt was a true rpgmaker amatuer role playing experience I would seriously put this game up their.

9. Legion Saga III - I know, I know the game is crap, but it was my first rpgmaker game and was just a carbon copy of Suikoden which kinda made it better for me in some ways as I'd never played a Suikoden game so all this stuff like the war system and castle, etc was new to me. I hav fond memories of the game that brought me to the whole Rm2k/3/XP/VX scene and today still can enjoy playing this game because of it.

10. Starless Umbra - Definately the best game Ive played in rpgmaker in years(Apart from Ascendence & Phantom Legacy)that drew me in. I highly anticipate this game as it has that same SNES feeling but just improved upon and then some. If this game were ever cancelled I would honestly be a bit disappointed as this could/is be a great game. Play this NOW as it deserves more attention.

Honourable Mentions:

Sunset Over Imdahl
Until My Finest Hour
Evania Secret of the Reza
Ascendence
Phantom Legacy
Final Fantasy The Phoenic Prophecies
Gaia's Destiny A New Threat
Backstage
Kindred Saga
The Book of Three(Whatever Lysanders book inspired game was called)
Balmung Cycle Part I The Messenger and the Heretic
Ryuukishi No Me II
Legion Saga II & Remake
Iron Gaia Virus
Phantasia Remake
The Way Episode 4
Abstract Paroxysm
Children of Mazae
Pokemon The Evil Inside 2
Solar Tear
Demon Legacy
A really good game by Craze with Rm2k3 RTP.. Forgot what it was called sadly.
The Realms Shattered.
Quintessence The Blighted Venom(Correct?)
author=Tau link=topic=3549.msg71426#msg71426 date=1240182705
A really good game by Craze with Rm2k3 RTP.. Forgot what it was called sadly.

Worldsong? It must be Worldsong.

Worldsong. Worldsong. Worldsong.

Worldsong.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Ara Fell (It's impossible to not hate a game when you test it over and over again for about a year.)[/quote

This is why I hate almost all of my own games.

Also, thanks to the few people who mentioned my games; it is soothing balm for my badly, badly broken ego (which is crushed by my soul destroying job).
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Learn to cope like an African-American, Max.
author=Craze link=topic=3549.msg71503#msg71503 date=1240253060
Learn to cope like an African-American, Max.
Exactly. For example, I was *crushed* when Hero's Realm failed to make Craze's list, but I got over it. *sniffle*
10. The Sword and the Fish
9. Demon Legacy
8. Everlong
7. Wildcard
6. The Mirror Lied
5.A Blurred Line
4.The Longing Ribbon
3. Exit Fate
2. Hero's Realm
1. The Way

Special Nostaligia Award: Crossbone

This list isn't especially objective, but...
The Longing Ribbon
Love and War
Onyx
Sunset Over Imdahl
The Book of Three
A Blurred Line
Zephyrus and the Kingdom of Heaven
Ara Fell (I'm a sucker for cutesy games like this)

Come to think of it I think those are the only RM games I've ever finished (wait no, Grave Spirit too. But that game was basically 2D Ico without the annoying princess). But yeah Longing Ribbon is definitely #1.
Somehow, I'm not terribly surprised I haven't made any games on the lists. Perhaps if it were about the WORST RM games... j/k

This is what I've come up with so far, in no particular order:

Wilfred the Hero
Diary of a Madman
Tyrant God Saga Altered Perception
Dreamer '95
Tales of the Wind '95
Sunset over Imdahl
Iron Gaia 1
Forever Across Dreams
Three the Hard Way
Flashpoint
Dragoon Legends, if it counts. It's not technically RPG Maker, so...
MUSE
Legend of the Phoenix Tear '95

Honorable Mentions, AKA Most Promising
Hero's Realm
Dragon Fantasy
Dragon Fantasy II
Generica
Mage Duel
and
Final Fantasy I-2. Really into retro-type games.
plus many more that I want to play someday.

I really need to play more games. I'm not a big ABL, Aveyond (any of them) or The Way fan, however!
In addition, screw ABL.
Did you just say this just to be edgy? I mean, I don't see a point in hating any game that didn't cost anything, was not advertised (And thus not promising anything), and is almost a decade old and severly outdated.
Hmm? I just didn't like ABL when I played it, since I'm not really into that setting, which I felt Iron Gaia handled better, anyway. I don't like the idea behind Aveyond (charge for an RTP game), and didn't care for what I saw in The Way.

Now that we keep typing ABL, Book of Three (which did interest me) and the like, Lysander's bound to show up.

v Because Forever's End is almost 150 MB, and it uses the Final Fantasy font on the title screen, as well as in its stylings in-game.
I think Chartley was referring to Fallen's comment, VW.

In other news, Forever's End still has yet to make anyone's list :'(
Alright. This has been fairly interesting so far, but lets switch things up.

The top 5 WORST RM games you've ever played. (prefferably ones on this site)

1 - Moonlight Shadows

The RTP Mapping was awful and was complemented by horrible battle balancing.

2 - Acetonic Muschrooms I & II

Wasn't a big fan of the humor. eNSO tried too hard to be funny, or didn't try hard enough.

3 - Gio Adventures

Don't even get me started.

4 - Wilfred, the Hero

Was a fantastic game...AND IF YOU DON'T FINISH IT, BRANDONABELY, I PROMISE YOU THAT I WILL FIND AND EAT YOU ALIVE.

That's about all I can think of right now.

TRASH AWAY.
Hoo boy, where to begin:
Legacies of Dondoran: Skill Tree is to this day one of the better custom systems implemented in an RPG Maker game, that, and Gain and Sarcastic Guard's lines always make me chuckle.

The Way: So much to say about this one. It's storyline and writing helped rekindle my creative spark, and the plunge system and plot remain the highlights of this past summer vacation. Also, Traziun is made of win.

Demon Legacy: Shadar, that basically sums it up. Also, the storytelling was utterly magnificent.

Love and War; Act I: Highly amusing dialogue, as well as a very promising start to the series.

Everlong: It really is just as the title says, a REALLY long rpg that is basically every Final Fantasy ever.

Wilfred, The Hero: Finally got around to playing it, and was pleasantly surprised, the battle system was a nice change of pace from the usual fare and the highly developed characterization for such a short game was a nice surprise as well.

Those are all the main ones, personally, ABL didn't do it for me, though admittedly the writing was most excellent.
Haven't played many games, but in order from worst to best:

1) Gio Adventures
Way too dumb and full of problems, due to one lone child making EVERY aspect of the game. It's the young and childish black sheep of my series.

2)Sonic and Mario
This makes my game look better, kind of.

3)Sore Losers
Sorry, this isn't my type of game.

4)Ruptured Souls
I like the atmosphere and eventing a lot.
If I was F-G, after reading that list, I would be extremely depressed right now.
author=RPGManiac3030 link=topic=3549.msg71591#msg71591 date=1240289837
4)Ruptured Souls
I like the atmosphere and eventing a lot.

play muse. or mindflare. or both.