RPG INTROS

Pages: first prev 1234 last
If you want to introduce a characters personality or the setting a little in an intro, thats fine but overall an intro should be as quick as you can give the player an idea of what they are supposed to be doing. Heroes Quest does this pretty perfectly.

Short and sweet is best, like this post~ ;D
If you can pull off an actually good and interesting long intro than ok, if it keeps our interest we'll gladly sit through it

but 9 times out of 10 you can't

so don't risk it, because we are impatient asses
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Darken link=topic=3684.msg74595#msg74595 date=1242086146
Ok guys we win, lets hit the showers.

No homo.

Estrella: Hero's Realm, you mean?

Yoshio: We aren't impatient (okay, we are, but...); we just want to play a game when we play a game. I think that it is a fairly simple concept.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Why the hell was I thinking it was Quest... lol

Video games are supposed to be interactive. The sooner you allow a person to interact with the game the better. If you want to make people sit there and watch your game for a long period of time, why even make a game? Why not try another medium that is better suited to that.

Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Actually, you don't HAVE to make a game. For instance, there was a RMXP miniseries about some virtual world over on RMXP.org a while ago. Too bad he just stopped making it practically near the end. =(
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Yeah but then IT IS NOT A GAME
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
author=Craze link=topic=3684.msg74864#msg74864 date=1242207984
Yeah but then IT IS NOT A GAME

It's a game that you watch. =P I know.
I skimmed through this whole topic. A lot of valid points were made, and a lot of really stupid things have been said. I wasn't planing on reploying, but I saw this and just couldn't help it:

If your gameplay isn't that strong, you might as well make a longer intro

REALLY

Did somebody seriously say this? You need to go back and start re-learning how to aproach game-making, my friend.

I've also seen some anime kid talking about how he can be creative and shopw off how skilled at writing he is with long introductions. Bullshit. If you are able to be CONCISE and CLEAR and QUICK with your writing, then you are a better writer. This is one of the most important things that I have learned in my past four years as an English majorâ€"if you are able to say the same thing as somebody else, but in less words, then you are the better writer.

A lot of people don't seem to get how incredibly important conciseness is. I guarantee that your introductions are too long. Sure, they might be nice or whatever and fill you with a sense of pride, but if you cut the first ten minutes from your games, then I guarantee that it will be better overall.

Hemmingway once said something along the lines of all beginning writers should take their big work and cut the first fifteen pages. When you think about it, it applies to all sorts of thingsâ€"especially games. People want to GET INTO IT already, they don't give a fuck about the past thousand years of hitory of your shitty fantasy world (they've probably heard it all before anyway), and they certainly don't give a shit about mysterious cloaked characters who speak about mysterious happenings which won't be relevent until the end of the game anywayâ€"which you will never get around to making, so just forget about it.
The point of an RPG Intro is to introduce an event, thus the best RPG intros are those that introduce an exciting or interesting event. Otherwise, it's just padding to create artificial "pace and mood" for an abrupt and boring gameplay sequence.

When your opening event is boring, trying to be consice with your intro creates a catch 22, where you can't not have an intro but your intro is so short and pointless you may as well not have one. This is because a boring event often has boring prerequisites that your players don't not want to know about, but you're forced to pad out the intro with for the sake of even having an intro, basically picking the lesser of two game design sins.

When you start the game at an interesting moment, it tends to come with interesting prior events that the player will likely want to know about.

e.g. Most of us already know how World War 2 went, but the intro to Call of Duty 2, I'd say, was a very good intro. It skimmed over the minor details and pointed out who you would be playing as and where you were in the middle of the war, which set you up for when they dropped you into the heat of combat, cannonballs flying all over the place. You may not have even cared what happened in the war, but you were pumped and ready to take action.

BTW, in some case it isn't even that bad to just start the game with gameplay. Cave Story pulled that off pretty well, for example.
author=missingno link=topic=3684.msg77167#msg77167 date=1243451988
I have learned in my past four years as an English majorâ€"if you are able to say the same thing as somebody else, but in less words, then you are the better writer.

Going to agree with this. Because this is the greatest video-game intro ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_zpkoC_38

Can you spot the boring historic text in this intro? See below for answer.
You can't
author=kentona link=topic=3684.msg77193#msg77193 date=1243459009
Pales into comparison to Dragon Warrior III:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMxYxP2pKHc

NO!

LITTLE BLUE MAN!

I didn't know that was coming. :(
God Hand intro that lasts about 50 seconds (and the first stage but nobody cares about that)
God that guy sucks at that game does he even know how guard breaker works? >:(
Pages: first prev 1234 last