HOW TOLERANT ARE YOU TO LEGITIMATELY DIFFICULT BOSSES?

I think bosses should be all about using different types of elemental attacks, (especially) condition effects spells and being able to have at least one offensive move that literary rapes the party in order to keep the player on its feet.. Obviously it doesn't have to be that simple but then again....
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
For a start, I think that bosses should not be like regular enemies. A good boss fight is where the player should change his/her tactics to suit themselves against that boss. In RPGs it should not be stats alone that will help you win, otherwise how would it separate itself from fighting a regular enemy?

Mario RPGs excel at this aspect, because they usually do not rely on stats alone, or even stats period. It's all about timing and being able to read your opponent. If I'm fighting against an RPG boss where I'm not thinking "what is he gonna do next?" then there is a small chance that I would be engaged in what I'm playing.
Of all the RPGs I've played there's only few boss fights that made me think "that battle was retarded hard". There's this one boss in Shining Force IV (three of them actually) that instantly rape your party to death with lightning bolts in one shot. Homunculus from Tecmo Secret of the Stars would also rape you with spells unless you spent so much time grinding in the game, but at least I could still beat him.
The new PlayStation 3 game demon's soul has a ton of these bosses. And the game overall is hard. But you know what its awesome. I like hard bosses however I agree that the difficulty has to be built up. I hate games that have a super easy dungeon and then a super hard boss. The game is not balanced. Their are a lot of ways to make boss battles difficult. You should pull out all the stops when making bosses because it is the climax.
Just my humble opinion take it or leave it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=114885
Of all the RPGs I've played there's only few boss fights that made me think "that battle was retarded hard". There's this one boss in Shining Force IV (three of them actually) that instantly rape your party to death with lightning bolts in one shot. Homunculus from Tecmo Secret of the Stars would also rape you with spells unless you spent so much time grinding in the game, but at least I could still beat him.

That's not what this topic is supporting. That's Nintendo Hard, not legitimately difficult.
wait there was a shining force IV????

Anywho I also like to support the hard but not long idea. Make sure the boss doesn't wear out its welcome. Sure you may think 30 minutes of a boss fight is epic but there better be a lot of shifting strategy in that time to keep the player interested!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=115043
shifting strategy

Diablocide / FFX(II) / any good final boss all make good examples of this.
post=115043
wait there was a shining force IV????

^---I also had this reaction.
I don't like difficult bosses. I prefer it when we can get along and work together without anyone causing trouble for the other. On the other hand, I don't like easy bosses, because they let you slack off and not earn your salary.
two words

romancing saga for playstation 2

actually that's more than two words but

who's countin'
I prefer hard bosses too. However, I think they should be hard because it requires you to be creative. Maybe one boss is easily blinded, at least 1 character is constantly casting blindness until the rest of your players can take it out. One RM game that does this well is MotW. There are some hard bosses in there that I was unable to beat the first time through and I was above average level-wise.
Craze
AlphaMad: There is a class in FFX-2 dedicated to blinding enemies (and slowing them, too!). Gogogo!
the problem with that is unless someone tells you, you never know when you can blind/sleep/poison the enemy, and more often than not they're immune.
Craze
Good thing FFX-2 scans tell you an enemy's resistance to status effects!
post=114936
post=114885
That's not what this topic is supporting. That's Nintendo Hard, not legitimately difficult.

Precisely, it's what this topic is criticizing. Plus I made a mistake, I meant Phantasy Star IV. How did I mix the two up? And either of those IV games are SEGA not Nintendo.
I know what boss you are talking about in PSIV. King Laschiec's cronies. It's not 'insta-rape' at all unless you are severely underleveled.

Just use Barrier with Wren and have Rika Gisar as needed. They'll go down in a few turns. Especially if you use the Grandcrosss combo.
post=115249
And either of those IV games are SEGA not Nintendo.

"Nintendo Hard" is just a level of difficulty, doesn't literally mean Nintendo made it. Danger TV tropes link, be prepared to waste hours.
i just read tv tropes for like 2 hours
I can't open a tv tropes link otherwise it will suddenly be boxing day
Lucky you, I CAN'T even open TvTropes pages because I got 403 error (why I have no clue).
I am not even registered there!

post=114797
Bosses? Bosses should beat you silly the first time you go in. They should be demanding, and they should demand that the player watch their moves carefully and construct their battle plan around what they see.

You know, I finished both DDS 1 and 2 - but I still hate the fact that I have to restart my game everytime I encounter a new boss and realised that I didn't have the correct weakness equipped for that one fight (you have 6(?) elements to choose from, and only one is correct most of the time whoope). Especially after a long FMV.

Still, I like the way they give "unique" moves or skills to boss. (ex. One boss (Nidhogg) eats his comrade if you don't kill them fast enough, and that makes the fight really easy (spam all hit skill) or you have a giant monster to kill after it has eaten enough).