HOW TOLERANT ARE YOU TO LEGITIMATELY DIFFICULT BOSSES?

Pages: first 12345 next last
Keyword: Legitimately difficult. As in, while you still need to be at an appropriate level to beat said boss, it isn't necessary to grind, and said boss is always challenging and forces you to stay on your toes no matter what.

I was watching some videos of Saga Frontier 2, and one thing that game did right (besides the music and graphics) was some legit, difficult bosses. While you COULD grind away at the game if you want to if you want to get the best skills, equipment, and weapon/spell levels, it couldn't, by itself, make a difficult boss, much less difficult to the point where it was EASY. Unless you grinded to insane levels (and I've seen people do that, and it takes a few months worth of playing), the final boss would be either INSANELY DIFFICULT/DIFFICULT/CHALLENGING, but never EASY no matter what you did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuCXOBnh5ag&feature=related

This is an example from Saga Frontier II of such a fight. If you notice, even though he's more than strong enough (now that I actually look at his stats and the spells he's using, abnormally strong) to handle said boss, said boss STILL keeps him on his toes and doesn't resort to cheap tricks. I love these kind of bosses and I wish games like Final Fantasy had more of them, but I've noticed that people often pussy out at these bosses and quit and never play the game again when their strategy of 'use the same attack over and over again' doesn't work for them.

I'd love to have the kind of fights listed above for some of my bosses. How do YOU feel about it?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
MOG, that boss video is a guy spamming the same skills over and over again.
You really only have so many tactical choices in an almost ten minute boss battle. However, I'll another video to compare. But you know what I mean, Craze.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
This is why I like the Mario RPGs so much. Because the battle systems are so interactive and require you to pay attention and have good timing, you're kept on your toes even by the common enemies. In a normal RPG where you just choose your actions and watch your heroes kick ass, it's harder to accomplish.

I think it has most to do with the boss's move set and the way in which its weaknesses are exploited. Status problems, elemental resistances, pretty much anything that mixes things up helps. If the player can beat them by spamming Attack (or anything, for that matter), they're going to start losing interest.

There's a fine line between 'legitimately difficult' and 'has all 9999 stats.' This stuff is hard to balance out, especially to create the effect you're looking for.
I wouldn't mind refighting Seymour Flux if it wasn't for that unskippable cutscene right before him
Saga Frontier 2, like most of its kin, is a horribly balanced game and should never be used as an example for anything related to its combat, stat or skill systems. The game is in fact infamous for its final dungeon bosses, which can be impossible to defeat for the player if the characters simply are not strong enough. And since there is no way to power level at that point, you are fucked.

If you are looking for legitimately challenging bosses, look at the Shin Megami Tensei/Persona games. Outside of a few cheap tricks, the bosses in those games are done properly.
Craze
I have two things to say here:

1) The Etrian Odyssey series is really good at this. I have made teams designed to take down a specific monster.

2) Diablocide is all about this. All about this. All about this.
post=114793
Saga Frontier 2, like most of its kin, is a horribly balanced game and should never be used as an example for anything related to its combat, stat or skill systems. The game is in fact infamous for its final dungeon bosses, which can be impossible to defeat for the player if the characters simply are not strong enough. And since there is no way to power level at that point, you are fucked.

I disagree entirely, for the only real example of 'whoops you're fucked no way to power level' example in the series is Lute's scenario in Saga Frontier 1. All of the other scenarios in almost all of the other games have bosses and final bosses that are designed to be defeatable if you managed to defeat the one before it. (and of course you can powerlevel and go back and train or restore your HP or whatever) Most of the time, if you absolutely cannot defeat a boss in Saga Frontier, you must have cheated or something because there's no way you could have even gotten to said boss in the first place.

If Saga Frontier did anything right at all, it's is gameplay and challenge.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Bosses? Bosses should beat you silly the first time you go in. They should be demanding, and they should demand that the player watch their moves carefully and construct their battle plan around what they see.

I think some examples are in order. MANDATORY SMT LINKS GO.

Digital Devil Saga 1 - Bat's Atma Avatar Camazotz

Skipping passed the awesome voice acting for now, jump to 1:17. All seems well and normal, right? Boss attacks, party attacks, back and forth, right? At 2:43, Camazotz begins casting Rage, granting him two actions per turn. He uses the first to attack, and the second to cast guard. There are several ways to get past his guard - casting shields to suck up his turns, casting Earth spells to force him off the ground, etc. - but his attack pattern requires you to change your tactics completely.

Persona 3 - Strength and Fortune

This is the biggest pain of the main story bosses. You'll note that Fortune can't be touched due to Strength's protection - heck, it's not even a valid target for healing, much less offensive actions. This means it can spam Wheel of Fortune unmolested. The wheel, nuisance it might be, isn't the worst to deal with here. Strength, as you might guess, has exceptional attack power - Couple that with Vile Assault, a high-end piercing attack with a bonus versus knocked down foes, and you have a problem.

At 6:36, Fortune becomes a valid target for attacks. However, the wheel becomes weighted, and much more threatening. Status effects and debuffs start to abound. At 9:26, he just tells you to fuck off.

Note that this particular player is a cheap bastard who's about five or six levels higher than he should be. :/
I'm generally not very tolerant. It also has to do with the fact that I tend to dislike bosses overall.

Grinding away at the same monster for too long feels tedious to me. When a fight takes a lot of time the frustration when dying is even higher because it means I would have to do another ten minutes of chipping of a small amount of health from a boss monster before retiring into a corner to hide from an attack and then repeat.

I must prefer bossfights that are essentially hordes. Where I kill a bunch of regular dudes in order to finish a level rather than have to fight a huge thing with a red glowing orb somewhere on it so I'll know where to hit it (and even then it'll take me fifteen hits to that red glowing thing before anything will happen)

Goddamn bosses.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=114798
have to do another ten minutes of chipping of a small amount of health from a boss monster before retiring into a corner to hide from an attack and then repeat.

Stop playing games with shitty bosses. :)
Now that I think about it, speaking of bosses that DON'T rely on attrition, one boss I liked was Atma Weapon in FFVI, because it's pretty quick and dirty and the fight is pretty short one way or the other because between your party and Atma tossing nukes at each other, one of you is going to die and fast, the question is, who's first? You pretty much know if you're going to win or lose from the first 2 turns.
post=114799
post=114798
have to do another ten minutes of chipping of a small amount of health from a boss monster before retiring into a corner to hide from an attack and then repeat.
Stop playing games with shitty bosses. :)

Yeah I play too much Resident Evil. And... what was that DS game... Henry Hatsworth. I really hated the bosses in that game too. They were the exact example of Hit-jump-to-safety-hit-repeat thing that is the reason I don't like bosses. Mega Man does this a lot too... I guess these are all really old games but it seems newer games just don't have bosses at all. (fortunately)
post=114795
post=114793
I disagree entirely, for the only real example of 'whoops you're fucked no way to power level' example in the series is Lute's scenario in Saga Frontier 1. All of the other scenarios in almost all of the other games have bosses and final bosses that are designed to be defeatable if you managed to defeat the one before it. (and of course you can powerlevel and go back and train or restore your HP or whatever) Most of the time, if you absolutely cannot defeat a boss in Saga Frontier, you must have cheated or something because there's no way you could have even gotten to said boss in the first place.

If Saga Frontier did anything right at all, it's is gameplay and challenge.

Uh, I played Saga Frontier I and II. The first to absolute completion (even got to the final special area place when you beat all seven) and II until I got curbstomped by a boss in the final dungeon that I had NO WAY TO BEAT outside of reloading an old save before entering the final dungeon.

To say the games have good gameplay is laughable at best. The entire point is to spam your strongest skills until you or the enemy dies.
Uh, I played Saga Frontier I and II. The first to absolute completion (even got to the final special area place when you beat all seven) and II until I got curbstomped by a boss in the final dungeon that I had NO WAY TO BEAT outside of reloading an old save before entering the final dungeon.

Saga Frontier II's the Egg, right? Yes, I'll concede that, because it comes out of nowhere and there's no way to refresh or heal. However, I'll stand my ground for the other ones. Can't beat Hell's Lord as Blue? Then how the hell did you beat TimeLord? Can't beat Orlouge? How did you beat Princess Lion and Ciato (and possibly Rastaban, which are fought BACK TO BACK consecutively)? Can't beat Shuzer? How the HELL did you beat Cyclops? Like I said, all of them have progressively harder bosses that if nothing else give you a sliver of hope to beat them if you were strong enough to even get to them.

The entire point is to spam your strongest skills until you or the enemy dies.

I can assure you that strategy doesn't work against the likes of Kylin, The Egg, Master Ring, and a few of the other notable bosses. I'm not saying it's perfect, but the Saga series does have a few good ideas (rewarding you with specific stats based on what you do in battle instead of levels? That sounds awesome). You can take a few good ideas from even a badly executed concept.
Xenogears had some of my favorite boss fights. It's not perfect but it's closest to my ideal out of everything I've played. I don't like the "endurance match" thing everyone does. I like the strategy part, and I think once you figure out the strategy there is no reason to make someone sit there for 15 minutes rehashing that strategy. Reward them for using their brain rather than time.
AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
I'm extremely tolerant to overly hard bosses.

It gives me a strong sense of accomplishment.
I encountered what I thought was a great boss fight last night while playing FFX.

It was the sinspawn you fight during the beach assault against Sin. Sinspawn Gui or something like that.

The reason I thought this boss was particularly great was because it REALLY pushes you to use every resource you have available to you. It's almost essential to use the abilities that should be available to all six party members around the time you encounter him. Auron and Kimahri bring down the arms, Wakka and Lulu work on the head. When the body's left alone, you bring in Yuna to summon and burn down through a considerable portion of the boss' health before the aeons die. Tidus hastes and cheers while providing damage to the undefended body.

Meanwhile, the boss is pounding you with strong physical attacks, Thunder, and Demi spells, so Yuna and potions are keeping everyone alive. It's dangerous to leave Lulu and Yuna in for more than a few rounds because the boss hits so hard, and often when all of the appendages are up. Auron's Power Break is pretty essential to mitigate the extremely hard melee hit the boss does.

I know that it's a Final Fantasy games, and that FF bosses are easy. I was able to beat the boss the first time I tried him (I've beaten the game before, but I don't remember a single encounter, so it's like playing for the first time again) by using all of the available resources. To me, that's a boss done properly. The boss really couldn't be much more challenging; if it required more healing, or was harder to kill, then that would just be manipulating numbers. If I hadn't beaten the boss with this strategy (which is discernible based on information provided by sensor or scan), then I'm not sure I could have beaten the boss without leveling up more, or getting lucky with crits and such.

Also, the battle lasted at least 10 minutes for me.

This just kinda exemplifies what my tolerance for boss difficulty is. I'm ok with dying to a boss once, if I'm feeling out a strategy and make mistakes, or don't implement it fast enough.
Craze
I'm starting to feel that I cheated when it comes to Diablocide. Bosses are really three different bosses, you just don't get to save or heal between them. They share a few attacks, but as the Demon gets more desperate it freaks out more and changes into crazier actions. Eh! Still works as legitimately difficult, especially since you can't grind ever. =D

Do you guys think that elemental shift bosses (Golbez in the Dark Elf's cave, Magus, FF3's tree magus boss, etc.) are fair or cheap?
Super tolerant. More so than any sane person should be. I actually feel robbed when a boss is a total pushover most of the time. I don't however think that as a designer everyone thinks the same way of course. Having multiple difficulty levels certainly can solve the issues of working with varying player taste though.

My favorite thing to do is to look at the overall plot and see where events are climbing to story wise. For instance if you are searching for 5 crystals in order perhaps the first 4 bosses are easy, medium, hard, very hard in that order. After that the final and 5th boss in that story arc would be even harder and perhaps if the story continues after that you can drop things back down to easy and gradually crescendo again!

If the difficulty ramps up slowly enough usually players won't get frustrated or hit a brick wall in difficulty as they will be slowly trained to handle more difficult things. Just my two cents on the idea.
Pages: first 12345 next last