HOW TO MAKE GOOD PUZZLES

Pages: 1
Does anyone know of any good tutorials for developing complex box/trap puzzles?
Step One: Don't make box puzzles.

Really, unless you feel you're doing something creative with the whole "shove blocks out of the way" concept, no one wants to play yet another box puzzle

(Well at least I don't, anyone else have an opinion?)
Box puzzles aren't limited to shoving boxes out of the way. There are also the boxes you push onto switches to advance.
I mean to recall that "It's good to be a pirate" had a few good examples
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1292/
it's a fairly short game and probably worth a look in terms of getting inspiration for box/trap puzzles
It all depends on what you want to do, or what the purpose is. You could have all sorts of boxes with different properties:

• Moves one space
• Slides until it hits an obstacle
• Has handles / can be pulled
• Falls down a hole to floor below
• Moves in one direction only
• Can be destroyed
• Explodes one space in all directions (3x3)
• Redirects a beam / completes a circuit
• Forms a bridge / opens a path to allow advancement (you could also combine this with a two-party system)

Of course, the real challenge lies in conveying the relevance of said puzzle. If there's no logical reason for the puzzle to be there, you may want to rethink including it.
What if the game is puzzle-based, like Zelda? As if any of those made sense.

Although sticking a random box moving puzzle in a traditional RPG could be frustrating.
post=145415
What if the game is puzzle-based, like Zelda? As if any of those made sense.

Although sticking a random box moving puzzle in a traditional RPG could be frustrating.

Yeah, that's what I was assuming was going on here...
If there's no logical reason for the puzzle to be there, you may want to rethink including it.

What does this mean. Are you asking for LOLREALISM or ESSENTIALFORTHEGAMEDESIGNLOL??
post=145424
If there's no logical reason for the puzzle to be there, you may want to rethink including it.
What does this mean. Are you asking for LOLREALISM or ESSENTIALFORTHEGAMEDESIGNLOL??

I'd think there's a difference between some random villager having crates and treasure chest behind them in house and a cavern having a couple boulders. They're both not realistic, but one doesn't make you immediately say "oh god I hate box pushing challenges."

(Well, guess that depends how jaded you are)
what if the villager was all like "omg I totally trapped my daughter behind that pile of cargo in my shed, please go save her!"?
I think that can bring box puzzle into relevance in any rpg.

Don't try to tell me your random npcs aren't retarded, and don't have children. Those are like the two prerequisites for being a generic npc in any rpg.

edit: spelling
post=145492
what if the villager was all like "omg I totally trapped my daughter behind that pile of cargo in my shed, please go save her!"?
I think that can bring box puzzle into relevance in any rpg.

Don't try to tell me your random npcs aren't retarded, and don't have children. Those are like the two prerequisites for being a generic npc in any rpg.

edit: spelling

I can come up with the best excuse in the world. The player will still see a rock sliding puzzle.

(By the way, that's not at all a good excuse.)
I think it was an example of a poor excuse...?
The player will still see a rock sliding puzzle.

I couldn't resist pointing out the irony of box-sliding displeasure from someone whose last game, as I understand it, was composed entirely of moving boxes.

I have not played said game and I am in no way saying your puzzles are limited in the same respect, however, lol.
post=145501
I think it was an example of a poor excuse...?

totally was.
It was also a perfect example of people throwing random nonsense puzzles into their rm games.
Pages: 1