WHY AREN'T THERE MORE TUTORIALS ON THE BASICS?

i learned how to do switches from using a tutorial for reference and trial and error. tutorials are still nice to have around.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY blah blah blah
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
post=153889
i learned how to do switches from using a tutorial for reference and trial and error. tutorials are still nice to have around.

I learnt to use switches by randomly pressing event commands... so trial and error i guess.

Also my first game (on 2k3) was made with no variables/switches (and a crapload of teleports and maps) i would have loved it if someone showed me a tutorial.

post=149227
Mary you must be a pure retard if you think someone wants to slog through the shitty Help file.

That's how I started. The rest is from the forums and asking questions.
post=155396
post=149227
Mary you must be a pure retard if you think someone wants to slog through the shitty Help file.
That's how I started. The rest is from the forums and asking questions.

Me too, actually.
Yeah I say the Help File is helpful enough, either your just lazy or if you don't understand something in the help file you could just ask around. Thats how everyone is supposed to start off.
Not everyone is exactly the same though, sometimes people just "don't get it" and need a different example or explanation. I'm not sure why people are so opposed to simple tutorials. Like is something bad going to happen?
Yeah I don't see the big issue either. What's wrong with some goddamn tutorials? Every other software on the planet has tutorials. Why not this one?
I'm not opposing to anything, there are times when if you want something done you must do it yourself. I mean don't we have enough tutorials already? Theres like 4 pages worth on RPG Maker 2003. I'll admit RPG Maker 2000 is looking bare but RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003 are very similar and function the same way with only a few slight differences.

If people want tutorials on specific things then maybe they should make a request. Just an idea!
post=155440
I'm not opposing to anything, there are times when if you want something done you must do it yourself. I mean don't we have enough tutorials already? Theres like 4 pages worth on RPG Maker 2003. I'll admit RPG Maker 2000 is looking bare but RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003 are very similar and function the same way with only a few slight differences.

If people want tutorials on specific things then maybe they should make a request. Just an idea!

And most of these tutorials involve making things like caterpillar systems, custom functions/skills, etc, things that a new RPG Maker wouldn't be able to understand. Even if they managed to put in the right events, what good is it if they don't even understand what an event or a variable does or how it makes the said function work? Granted that since this topic appeared we have gotten more basic tutorials for newcomers.

I do however like the idea of requesting tutorials, I'm just not sure how that would work.
And most of these tutorials involve making things like caterpillar systems, custom functions/skills, etc, things that a new RPG Maker wouldn't be able to understand. Even if they managed to put in the right events, what good is it if they don't even understand what an event or a variable does or how it makes the said function work? Granted that since this topic appeared we have gotten more basic tutorials for newcomers.

Then that's all down to the tutorial itself and whoever wrote the tutorial and whether they can actually explain and make the reader understand or not.

I do however like the idea of requesting tutorials, I'm just not sure how that would work.
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/help/ <---- thats what this part of the forum is for.

It is a good thing that this issue has been brought up however! I never noticed that there were such a shortage of tutorial for RMN since I rarely need a tutorial for RPG Maker 2003 anyway, not saying that I'm good with it but I'm at a decent level and have enough patience to learn the stuff I don't know myself.

When I was new I joined GamingWorld I didn't post a topic about my game until I felt it was "worthy" as it's pretty rough there for noobs back in the day. The first thing I remember doing is looking through the resources and tutorial section and the tutorials there didn't even make sense to me. Most of them were written by 11 or 12 yr olds who couldn't even use proper grammar and punctuation let alone explain "how to make a CMS".
There's a site I used when I was getting started for RPG Maker XP. It's not fully complete, and I'm not sure if it ever will be, but it helped me get started before I found this site. I haven't really touched it since, but that's mainly because I got better at using RMXP.

http://www.rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/sitemap.shtml
post=155425
Not everyone is exactly the same though, sometimes people just "don't get it" and need a different example or explanation. I'm not sure why people are so opposed to simple tutorials. Like is something bad going to happen?

That's not what we are objecting to at all. Saying that the Help File is not good enough and then insinuating that we, as members, aren't good enough because we didn't write tutorials is objectionable.

why has no one seen this? why do you think I went off the handle earlier?
post=155502
post=155425
That's not what we are objecting to at all. Saying that the Help File is not good enough and then insinuating that we, as members, aren't good enough because we didn't write tutorials is objectionable.

why has no one seen this? why do you think I went off the handle earlier?
Are people seriously really retarded not able to search "RPG Maker (insert maker type here) tutorial" on google?
post=155503
Are people seriously really retarded not able to search "RPG Maker (insert maker type here) tutorial" on google?

They really can be sometimes...
And is there a reason why some of those kinds of tutorials that one would find on Google can't be available here? Why should we have to redirect them towards Google?

Like seriously I don't understand this. Is it HURTING you guys, on an individual level for there to be tutorials to help newbies? Does it sear your scalp every time someone's eyes goes across the lines on a 'Intro to Switches and Variables' tutorial? Like I said before, pretty much every software on the fucking planet has introductory tutorials. Why can't this one? This is the most elitist shit on the fucking planet right here.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Uh, no one is telling you not to write said tutorials, they're just explaining why they don't feel the need to spend their own time doing so. After all, it takes a fair amount of time and effort to write a good tutorial. It would certainly be potentially helpful to someone out there, but I can't blame people if most of them would rather work on their games instead.
If someone doesn't want to write a tutorial, then they're encouraged to shut the fuck up about not wanting to write one. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the "THEY SHOULD FIGURE IT OUT THEMSELVES" attitude.
But, the thing is, there ARE tutorials, so what is all this shit ABOUT exactly? Where the fuck are we going with this? There are tons of tutorials here, and most people have the help file (whether they read it or not). I just submitted like 5 tutorials the other day, so where is this discussion going exactly?