WHY AREN'T THERE MORE TUTORIALS ON THE BASICS?

After we crank out these tutorials, we should also write an encompassing "New to RPG Maker?" or "New to Game Making?" article (akin to the "New to RMN?" article) that will give links and overview to these basic tutorials and where to start.

It should be stickied to the top, too.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I want to rework the frontpage and registration page to have some of this information available there as opposed to delegating it to just the corner of the navbar. The engine pages will also have this information on their main page so they are quick to see.
Still, it is not a bad idea to do that as a stopgap measure in the meantime.
What you really need to know in order to start using an RPG maker is switches, variables and conditional branches. Once you understand them you have what you need to make something resembling a game. Now you can make it so that your game actually progresses somewhere, e.g. you kill someone and that someone then stays dead.

Not everyone finds them intuitive. It's fairly common that people asks "what does switches do?" Unlike say "Transfer Player," switched doesn't do anything on their own and requires conditional branches to have any effect. I believe that some new RPG maker users searches for a quick and immediate use for switched just like the "Transfer Player" command has and then gets confused when they can't find any. However, once someone understand what switches does he/she is in a good position to start creating something. After that a tutorial acting mostly as a reference to what the various event commands does should suffice for quite a while and let him/her learn the program at his/her own phase.

That said, a tutorial which teaches a newbie the basics is not very useful if the newbie doesn't know the tutorial does exactly that. We know how important switches and variables are. A newbie having trouble with the program could see a tutorial titled "Switches and Variables" and then go "let's first search for something that teaches me the basics".
I have difficulty grasping someone not understanding switches, variables, and conditional branches or how necessary they are. What ever happened to cognitive thinking? Like going, "hey, I can put numbers in this variable and do math with it, sort of like variables in those highschool math classes, I get this", or "there isn't a magic fairy that is going to make everything I want to happen occur in the right order, there should be something that I can use to do that somewhere here *spends 2 minutes looking at events*, hey these switch things look useful".

Seriously.

Someone please explain this to me.

I can not explain it. I remember grasping what switches and variables was for more or less immediately. However, I have noticed that some don't.

I have also noticed that not everyone fully grasps the fact that computer programs aren't sentient. If you ask people if computers are sentient, almost everyone will answer no, yet some of those will still try stuff that could only work if the computer was sentient. Some people just don't "understand" computers as well as others.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
GOP, everyone starts somewhere.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
It takes time.
I might write a beginners' article on general game design principles.
post=149372
Aten: Those are good, but not terribly accessible for people. You can't just pick out a random locker and find them. They'd need to get put into the site tutorial system.

Ok, I submitted them. TBH I forgot all about the tutorial/article submission thing.
post=149387
I have difficulty grasping someone not understanding switches, variables, and conditional branches or how necessary they are. What ever happened to cognitive thinking? Like going, "hey, I can put numbers in this variable and do math with it, sort of like variables in those highschool math classes, I get this", or "there isn't a magic fairy that is going to make everything I want to happen occur in the right order, there should be something that I can use to do that somewhere here *spends 2 minutes looking at events*, hey these switch things look useful".

Seriously.

Someone please explain this to me.

You are completely ignoring the fact that not all game makers are at the age where they can fully grasp those topics without tinkering or having it explained. Yeah, it makes complete sense to us, because we've been screwing around with the systems for so long. I know that when I started (to try) making games, I was around 12 and it took me a while to figure out what everything did. Having it explained to me, however, would have greatly expedited my learning.

EDIT: (Forgot something I wanted to say)

Really, I feel like it's pretty important that this sort of thing is addressed, because an early-start is extremely helpful when it comes to developing. It gives these new designers more time to grow.

And, while your comments may have some ground when applied to an older audience, learning from a guide just speeds things up. Why spend a bunch of hours fumbling around an unfamiliar program when you can get a little guidance and speed up your development process?
WIP
post=149402

These have been covered numerous times. The problem is that there are very few tutorials on APPLICATION rather than THEORY. A tutorial usually has a clear goal on what you are accomplishing "Learn to Create an IRC Chat Widget on your Website", is a tutorial. "The Benefits of Having an IRC Chat Widget on your Website" isn't a tutorial.
How is that IRC chat widget coming along, btw?
I am currently working on a guide for complete RM2K/3 noobs. It will cover the basics (switches, variables, message types, etc.) needed for one to create a project with ease.

I hope to get it completed soon though, I seem to be more busy in the summer than in the school year.

Fist pump.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
What about "what is a tile" or "how do I make an event"?
post=149415
post=149402
These have been covered numerous times. The problem is that there are very few tutorials on APPLICATION rather than THEORY. A tutorial usually has a clear goal on what you are accomplishing "Learn to Create an IRC Chat Widget on your Website", is a tutorial. "The Benefits of Having an IRC Chat Widget on your Website" isn't a tutorial.

post=149213
Well? I was just messaged by a "noob" who was trying to get started with RPG Maker VX. And we don't have a single damn tutorial for them to learn from. Nothing explaining switches, tutorials, events, etc. Things that people would need to know to make a game.

And you guys wonder why we have people making such incompetent garbage.

Well I thought it would cover what you bolded but I see what you mean. I'm writing something right now though.
Alright. Some tutorials on basics of switches, treasure chests, random items, fork conditions, npc's and adding npc's to party were added. I'll do some variable tuts next.