WHY AREN'T THERE MORE TUTORIALS ON THE BASICS?

Since Mary4D is making the switch tutorial, I could make a variable tutorial.

I remembered when I first started, I didn't know how to make the game know the progression of the player or make some sort of a calculator until 6 months in...

People shouldn't be thrown right into the deep-end when it comes to RPG Maker. That being the case, why should a beginner have to bother with things like CUSTOM RESOURCES when they'd be better off worrying about the internal workings of VX? Ultimately it'd be much more beneficial to a learner if they were to master the software before worrying about making good looking lighting effects or chapsets, but at the same time they need said chapsets to learn about the do's and dont's of mapping, tile passability, etc. etc.

I have to ask this... Isn't that what the RTP is for?
post=149271
People shouldn't be thrown right into the deep-end when it comes to RPG Maker. That being the case, why should a beginner have to bother with things like CUSTOM RESOURCES when they'd be better off worrying about the internal workings of VX? Ultimately it'd be much more beneficial to a learner if they were to master the software before worrying about making good looking lighting effects or chapsets, but at the same time they need said chapsets to learn about the do's and dont's of mapping, tile passability, etc. etc.

This. It's not like the program comes with absolutely nothing, YM.
Okay, here's a list of cross engine articles for understanding the concept of variables, switches, sprites, and other such basic concepts. Someone feel free to write an article from them and submit it to the site. Or just submit the list. Whatever.

Algebra [wikipedia.org] - variables and all sorts of important things
Boolean Data Type [wikipedia.org] - switches
Sprite (computer graphics) [wikipedia.org]
Conditional (programming) [wikipedia.org] - conditional branches
Object-oriented programming [wikipedia.org] - think of separate events as "objects"
Tile engine [wikipedia.org] - The concept of "tiles"
Those are too complex for a beginner. I know it seems easy to you and me, but those articles probably aren't a good place to go for an RMVX beginner.

I mean, I took a programming class a few semesters ago and the last thing I wanted to do was check wikipedia. It never helped me!
I was actually going to do a switch/variable tutorial awhile back but no one on irc really cared. It's good to see this issue is taking up notice.

wikipedia is shit btw, it's really for when you have no idea what a term means and you just want to get general info, not learn a particular skill.
I said cross engine (and concepts not application), just the general idea of extremely basic concepts in no way catered to your average whatever the age is new VX user. :P

Besides, I wanted to use that new convenient wikipedia bbc!
RMVX "How to get started" Tutorial: - ???

I will do this, I already started last night after seeing this thread when it was still page 1 actually, I hope nobody minds?

Didn't know we have to post here :X
whats the wordlimit / pagelengthlimit on tutorials because i tried to submit one but it cuts off like a quarter way in (deleted now but i can submit an edited version or whatever). theres a good few images if that counts
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Hmm there shouldn't be a word limit at all.
yeah it uploaded now okay! I think it was because the first time it submitted accidentally when I clicked preview. anyway pending / part 2 tomorrow possibly??
May perhaps we should start digging around for some of those tutorials that way we can deliver this information. Doesn't rmvx.net have some tidbits and other tutorials that we can deliver?
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
why would vx users need to know how to use the program? don't they just paste scripts in and instantly have a completed game?

back in my day we figured out switches variables conditional branch and enter command by ourselves within 5 minutes of opening rm2000 and finishing don's adventures

i am not trying to be elitist or rude, all i am trying to say here is that kids these days are stupid

TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
i will be happy to submit a "how to" uninstall rpgmakervx from your computer.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
post=149271
...I suppose....modern/futuristic tilesets (games that break away from the typical medieval fantasy setting should, IMO, be encouraged by the way) are never part of the RTP, though. Laying down the foundations of a castle's quite different from building a communications tower or a train or summat.

Besides, using the RTP's just not as fun. There should be an alternative to using the default package and consuming a shedload of time having to create your own graphics, even if you're just starting out. But I digress so I'll shut up for now
Infact, I have a series of tutorials, written by Gemin-eye for his RM2K Helpfile uploaded to my locker. Works for both RM2k and RM2K3

Switches Tutorial

Chest without a key

Locked Chest with a random item

Npcs and the Key plus Adding NPC to party

Fork Conditions and the Random Items in Chests
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
Fallen, on every forum I go to no one seems to use any kind of search function.
So I guess it's to be expected :p
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
This is why everyone thinks we are elitist snobs. Because we are acting like elitist snobs.

We are supposed to be the "best" site, but we don't have the best tutorials. Seems kind of silly to me.

Aten: Those are good, but not terribly accessible for people. You can't just pick out a random locker and find them. They'd need to get put into the site tutorial system.
I uploaded 3 tutorials for RMVX based on my blog posts for my game.