YDS' LET'S TRY THREAD

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's not even just opening cut scenes and tutorials. It's about the gameplay being introduced gradually. First you introduce the basic combat system, and then after a mini-dungeon you introduce something more advanced like learning skills or using spell combinations, and then after the end of a real dungeon or two you let the player start customizing their team.

Final Fantasy 6 is a good example. It throws you straight into the action, but you're invincible until Vicks and Wedge get vaporized, and it takes until South Figaro before you can buy equipment and actually have to start managing your gold. That's when the game really starts. Anything before South Figaro is not really indicative of how you'll play the rest of the game. And then later in the game you get magic, summon spells, characters who learn abilities in different ways, and the ability to change your party members. And enemies start using strategies, being weak or strong to elements, and you get status effects and accessories to let you change your tactics.

To give the player access to every single aspect of gameplay from the get go would not only overwhelm them, but also make your game get stale too fast. A game that has you do exactly the same thing for 30 hours is not going to be as fun as one where the gameplay builds up and subtly changes.

This is true of almost any genre of video game, not just RPGs. And this, not the tutorials or slow moving plot, is what makes the beginning of any game not really worth evaluating.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I don't know why Legionwood's download gives me a weird error. The file formate is just .download.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Change it to .zip. It's a stupid RMN problem.