GUYS, DON'T FORGET TO HELP OUT YOU FELLOW GAME MAKERS BY TV TROPING IT UP!

Pages: first 12345 next last
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FreewareGames

Remember the effort a while back to get deserving independent games exposure by adding content on TV Tropes? Well, I'm just reminding you that methods like this are among the best ways to 'spread the word' and cause the culture to grow in support of independent productions of your favorite games.

It doesn't have to be a lot, just an entry will do, or even making a new page (recommended) on a game that hasn't been covered. Obviously, two things; finished games only please, and it doesn't have to be an RPG Maker game (it can be, though). This topic can further discuss this concept, and what games maybe you think we could support, or what have you.

And tell your friends too! We all benefit from this.

Here are some tools you need to get started.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatingNewPages
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PageTemplates

author=Feldschlacht IV
Alright I'll make it real easy for you chumps. Here's a list of popular finished games from RMN that we can start off with.

-Hero's Realm
-Balmung Cycle
* now has its page up; http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BalmungCycle
-U.S.G. ~A New Beginning~
-Iffermoon

Easy peasy, right? By no means feel limited by this list! ALSO

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle4dfnlasf

I literally even made the page for Hero's Realm to give you guys a head start. I don't want to do this alone!

Update us in this topic when you make a new edit!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
We tried this already. Nothing came of it.
author=Solitayre

i mean lets try it again or somethin i mean damn
I feel that if a game is good enough, the weird furry wikipedia rejects will get a hold of it on their own.
author=Jericho
I feel that if a game is good enough, the weird furry wikipedia rejects will get a hold of it on their own.

No shit, but this topic is to actually be proactive about it.

Seriously literally one addition (not even an article, an addition) a week from say, half the people who read this topic would be immense on all its own. Add that to the potential activity from the word of mouth element and it simply grows from there.

If you want to get organized; how about someone suggest some finished amateur games, and we can start chipping away?
Alright I'll make it real easy for you chumps. Here's a list of popular finished games from RMN that we can start off with.

-Hero's Realm
-Balmung Cycle
-U.S.G. ~A New Beginning~
-Iffermoon

Easy peasy, right? By no means feel limited by this list! ALSO

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle4dfnlasf

I literally even made the page for Hero's Realm to give you guys a head start. I don't want to do this alone!
My point was that if exposure is your goal, tvtropes is the wrong way to go about it. People who read that website typically look up games and shows and literature they already know about. And if they're just randomly browsing to see what media has "action girl" and "dangerous forbidden technique" are probably the same unstable maniacs who write columns about incestuous undertones in children's tv shows. In conclusion, do not advertise to people who are probably literal murderers.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Jericho
My point was that if exposure is your goal, tvtropes is the wrong way to go about it. People who read that website typically look up games and shows and literature they already know about. And if they're just randomly browsing to see what media has "action girl" and "dangerous forbidden technique" are probably the same unstable maniacs who write columns about incestuous undertones in children's tv shows. In conclusion, do not advertise to people who are probably literal murderers.

Visions & Voices got thousands of downloads after exposure on TVTropes. Good sir, I must say "fuck you." Your personal biases against people who visit a popular wiki (like, say, me, or MOG/Feld?) can give you pink sock for all I care - it's not Pepsi publicity, but it's free and it works.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
i do not even understand the point in exposure unless your game is customized or for sale. like, what is the end game to that? i am sure there are better ways to promote your game. i clicked on the tvtropes site and it looks pretty stupid. like, it's cool to name drop your favorite games you've played at certain times on your personal blog, facebook, etc, but outside of that who cares really?

any retard can get a ridiculous amount of hits on the internet. i am sure there is no secret to pasting a url and download on any website/forum. if this is a way to promote indie dev or something, go out and buy indie games for sale/donate. i am sure that is more valuable than lol downloads.
author=TFT
i do not even understand the point in exposure unless your game is customized or for sale. like, what is the end game to that? i am sure there are better ways to promote your game. i clicked on the tvtropes site and it looks pretty stupid. like, it's cool to name drop your favorite games you've played at certain times on your personal blog, facebook, etc, but outside of that who cares really?

any retard can get a ridiculous amount of hits on the internet. i am sure there is no secret to pasting a url and download on any website/forum. if this is a way to promote indie dev or something, go out and buy indie games for sale.

I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what you're saying but I don't think that is mutually exclusive to what I'm trying to promote. If you don't agree with it, I definitely won't hold it against you; you don't have to participate.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
TFT
any retard can get a ridiculous amount of hits on the internet. i am sure there is no secret to pasting a url and download on any website/forum. if this is a way to promote indie dev or something, go out and buy indie games for sale/donate. i am sure that is more valuable than lol downloads.

1) We don't sell games here.

2) This is partially a community-building exercise, adding to games' pages. Hopefully. <Solitayre> lolno tried that
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
well, it was more of just a random thought. i am not disagreeing with what you're trying to do!
OKAY LIKE

I want this to be one of those topics where we don't debate on whether this is a good idea or not. If you want to participate, great. If not, that's okay too!

Mostly because a lot of efforts on this site get mired down by people barging whether or not it was a good idea in the first place and nothing ends up being done. Stop talking and start doing (or not doing). Not to say you can't be open with thoughts that are contrary to my own, but please don't fight. This isn't directed at TFT or Craze in particular, I just want to nip it in the bud because I've been around long enough to know how it goes!

author=TFT
well, it was more of just a random thought. i am not disagreeing with what you're trying to do!

Respect. I appreciate your thoughts, man!
author=Craze
Visions & Voices got thousands of downloads after exposure on TVTropes. Good sir, I must say "fuck you." Your personal biases against people who visit a popular wiki (like, say, me, or MOG/Feld?) can give you pink sock for all I care - it's not Pepsi publicity, but it's free and it works.

Don't have a cow, man -The Bart Simpson I visit it too and said nothing about the people who do so. But the people who would ever find a game made here through that website should be locked up forever~~~~~~~~~
Also I am positive you are confusing correlation with causation.
Anyway, if this is a community building thing then whatever. But for the purposes of exposure, as was stated in the first post of this thread, tvtropes does not work. bowing out now~
author=Jericho
But for the purposes of exposure, as was stated in the first post of this thread, tvtropes does not work. bowing out now~

Worked for Craze! And if you want to debate that, fine, but you don't have any solid evidence that it doesn't work. If nothing else, you could argue that your favorite indie game at least deserves its own page, even if its simply to as a monument to it. If you don't like it, don't do it! But if you want to give a community building exercise a shot, then yeah, let's all pitch in!

Don't discount it.
Jericho, I think I need to take you on a walk. A wiki walk.
author=Solitayre

If this statement proves to be true in the end I am going to cry.

Has anyone made any edits yet?

Update us in this topic when you make a new edit!
I may join in. I do like browsing TV Tropes (and have even done some Tropification of my own games).

Though, I have some problems identifying certain tropes, so it's not like I'm a fountain of knowledge on this subject.
I would debate that but this is obviously not the thread for it.

Anyway, It's very likely I'll be doing a SS LP of some game here in the future. Not sure of what because I'm having trouble finding what's been LP'd here and what hasn't. At that time, I could probably contribute to the page of whatever game I choose, but the problem with adding stuff to pages at tvtropes is that not only do I need to recognize the "trope," but I also need to know whatever stupid name the users of that website assign to it. A hurdle I'll jump when I get there, I suppose~

@pokemaniac that argument is dead! and buried! but that actually doesn't contradict anything I said so I am still the omnivictor!
author=Crimson_Legionnaire
I may join in. I do like browsing TV Tropes (and have even done some Tropification of my own games).

Though, I have some problems identifying certain tropes, so it's not like I'm a fountain of knowledge on this subject.

I have to sort of ask (though you can do whatever you want anyway you're a grown ass man) everybody NOT to add Tropes to their own games. It's uh...sort of tacky. Half the point of TVTropes is to recognize what/how others interpret your work, not you yourself.

Honor system, guys.
Pages: first 12345 next last