UNUSUAL CONCEPTS IN RPGS

Pages: first 12345 next last
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Whether it be a game mechanic or an additional subject such as a mini-game or optional dungeon puzzle, what are some things that you have tried or plan to implement in your games that are a bit out-of-the-ordinary to the realm of RPGs?

Myself? I've successfully implemented a tag mini-game to one of my projects, but something I've been throwing around for a while now is a way for players to purchase and expand on their own property à la Animal Crossing. The most efficient way to obtain furniture would be to craft if yourself from misc items such as wood and nails, though there will most likely be a merchant or two who would sell you furniture if you're looking for a quick way to decorate your abode. So far, I've been able to establish a crude yet effective means of creating such a system, though it may become more complicated when furniture such as pianos are introduced.

So far, the plan is to make available an upstairs addition if I can come up with some sane reason for doing so. I've also been thinking of including a way to purchase your own dungeon, complete with random bosses and loot. There would be multiple dungeon types that you could buy, such as a volcano/ice/earth dungeon of the short/medium/long variety with easy/intermediate/hard boss types (this would also affect what random equipment/items they drop on death.)

EDIT: I should have mentioned this before, but this focuses more on Indie or RM* RPGs and may not necessarily hold ground with all RPGs released commercially.
0_0
wow! I think I'm hallucinating
this looks a bit like my first game....
( just the youtube map and alex! been ages buddy lol )

anyway, looks like a creative feature, the only crazy thing I added in my game was a drugs system where you could get high on speed and walk faster and faster or smoke weed and the room your in gets bright and wavy after the fog animation kicks in then I played Earthbounds hospital on really really slowmotion, I also added an LSD feature which was the same as weed but you get attacked by a glowing orb and sent to some random bonus map untill you catch all the little wierd color balls. I've never done acid so it must have been lame for someone who has.

Then it got a virus or something and got stolen with my laptop, who ever has it now must think I was some kind of wannabe junkie and their right! >_<

yup alex and dickhead theif got high and boned some rtp girls...threw in some random hentai and..oh wait I think thats enough for today...
I don't see how custom houses are even close to unique for RPGs.
It's very uncommon in RPGs
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=kentona

BoF2 has a custom town (instead of micromanaging a single building)
BoF3/4/5 has the fairy village
Harvest Moon has a custom ranch (although technically your customization is linear)
Dark Cloud has a custom town
Tecmo's Secret of the Stars has a custom town (although technically your customization is linear)
Pokemon has a custom house
Makai Kingdom has a customizable base

and a custom town was one of the things I put in my very first game
should I keep listing or is this common enough
@Corfaisus - Just a suggestion: try making a copy of the tileset in the "tileset" tab where everything except the walls are passable and have that tileset switch on when you're in "edit mode" and then after furniture is placed have it switch to the version with normal passability settings.. OR.. Enable phasing mode whilst carrying an object and disable after placement?

In Dark Chronicle (sequel to Dark Cloud) you rebuild like.. 6 entire towns.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My RPG Maker games don't really have anything too unusual. The online RPG I help run, though, does. We have a sort of cooperative multiplayer minigame called the Militia, which players can join. Militia raids can be run (by admins or by a few select players) at any time, at which point everyone who's a member must drop whatever they're doing and come protect the central city from invading monsters. The monsters come towards the city from multiple paths and continue to spawn until certain bosses are killed, so players have to work together and coordinate their efforts to stop the invasion with minimal damage. It ends up playing almost like a Tower Defense game, except the players are the towers. There are also various special features that can be added to the raids to make them more interesting, like there's one type where three NPC allies go out to help you fight, and then constantly get attacked and ask for help with Star Fox 64 quotes.

Oh, we also have text-based PVP versions of Uno, Triple Triad, and Suikoden duels. Honestly it's kind of amazing that people ever find time to kill normal things for XP.
It's pretty cool, but do you really want me to list all the unusual things about my game?

(In the garden)
You micromanage pollen to grow flowers.
You micromanage water levels on food plants.
You raise children to adulthood and teach them jobs.

(Outside of the garden)
You collect resources with people you need to keep well-fed.
You build entire structures and towns.
The dungeons are pseudo-randomized as you go (the maps are already hand-mapped, though)
The battle system uses a threat system akin to world of warcraft.

Top that.
Versalia
author=Necrile
excessive timewast-errrr micromanaging

Top that.

dwarf fortress
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Your game has a custom dwarf fortress system? Dude, sweet. Send me your CDFS script so I can use it in my project.
It's all evented..so I think might be a bit difficult to do.
Difficulty levels.
*opens can of worms*

I also got one fight where you fight eight bosses in it, three at a time and dead ones get immediately replaced. (only on the hardest difficulty, otherwise you get breaks then they come at you in smaller numbers)
author=kentona

A lot of RPGs have customizing your own house as a feature. I don't think it's very uncommon at all. Maybe it's only uncommon in the ones that you've played.
Probably! I stopped playing sometime around 1998.

All I remember is a village in DW3 that you can populate with a merchant and grow, and getting a pozo doll and some cat food for Crono's house in Chrono Trigger.

I don't remember customizing a house in:
DW1
DW2
DW4
FF1
FF4
FF5
FF6
FF7
KOTOR1
KOTOR2
Baldur's Gate
BG2

...off the top of my head.

EDIT:
I would consider this a pretty representative list of the flagship games in the genre known as RPG, though. So I still don't think house customization can be consider "common"
Versalia
I really don't think you can call it uncommon just because it wasn't in several high-profile games. Honestly it's like saying something is "uncommon because WoW doesn't have it" (if there is anything they don't have, that is). It's included in a variety of games of the period you described regardless of whether or not those are 'flagship games' (sorry but I consider BoF2 a classic RPG "flagship game" and also Secret of the Stars).

I think the question here might be less of how common it is and more of how much value it actually adds to a game such that it would/would not be included in more popular titles. And regardless of commonality, it's not an unusual concept
Stop being an ass, Versalia. It is actually quite uncommon in rpgs. Just because it is in a few doesn't still mean its not uncommon. Lets see, the last 5 rpgs I played: Mass Effect 2, Diablo 2, WoW, Disgaea 2, and Demon's Souls...none of them have player housing. Interesting, I thought you said it was common? Huh...I guess I just got the token few that don't have it?
Versalia
author=Necrile
Stop being an ass, Versalia.

Fine, it's not "common," but it's not unusual either. It's existed in many, many forms (and even as the central gameplay mechanic for MULTIPLE games).

I'm not being an ass, either. I'm merely stating my opinion, whether or not it differs from yours. So fuck you.

author=Versalia
I think the question here might be less of how common it is and more of how much value it actually adds to a game such that it would/would not be included in more popular titles.

Maybe you'd like to actually discuss the point that I made that it might have fallen into exclusion because it doesn't add anything especially interesting to those games' style of play (after all, Diablo 2 is vastly different from Disgaea 2, and neither of them would be able to incorporate it in an INTERESTING way. Plus I cited a DIsgaea-series game that DOES include this...)
author=Necrile
Stop being an ass, Versalia. It is actually quite uncommon in rpgs. Just because it is in a few doesn't still mean its not uncommon. Lets see, the last 5 rpgs I played: Mass Effect 2, Diablo 2, WoW, Disgaea 2, and Demon's Souls...none of them have player housing. Interesting, I thought you said it was common? Huh...I guess I just got the token few that don't have it?

Actually in ME2 you decorate your quarter with stuff you find/buy throughout the game... Which is basically what the... you know... "custom home base" tends to be about.
author=Versalia
(List of games with custom towns and houses)
and a custom town was one of the things I put in my very first game
should I keep listing or is this common enough

author=Necrile
It's pretty cool, but do you really want me to list all the unusual things about my game?
(List of special features found in game)
Top that.

author=Versalia
author=Necrile
excessive timewast-errrr micromanaging

Top that.
dwarf fortress

author=Necrile

author=Versalia
I'm not being an ass, either. I'm merely stating my opinion, whether or not it differs from yours. So fuck you.

IMO, fully aware that I am butting in where I don't really belong, I think that it might be possible that both of you are perhaps behaving a little unkindly towards eachother. Some people may even characterize such behavior as being an ass. SO... I think it might be nice to recognize that we have differing views on this topic, compromise and say that although the idea is not exactly common it is not particular new or original either, then move on to discuss some interesting or creative features we are attempting to implement in our games. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) (The smiles represent my overabundance of good will and happiness and sincere hope that I will not be stoned to death... )
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Necrile
do you really want me to list all the unusual things about my game?

Yes, that's my reason behind making this thread. Share with the community what your RPG does outside of leveling, +50 DMG weapons, dungeons, towns, BBEG, and prophecy, and perhaps it will inspire others to make efforts to think outside this box a little, even if they aren't original creations that have yet to be done elsewhere.

author=Hoddmimir
discuss some interesting or creative features we are attempting to implement in our games.

This.
Pages: first 12345 next last