THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Looks great Link, I like the general atmosphere.
Arcan, the game is made in VX and most of the straight shadows are programmed into the software, editing them isn't too easy... =P
Why do you think the sprite doesn't fit? any reason in particular?
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
The background (walls floor etc.) is drawn with a more detailed and realistic style while the sprite is cartoony with super visible outlines, exaggerated proportions and limited use of color which naturally makes them contrast. I was also thinking the setting looks very modern while the character appears to be wearing something you would see in dbz. What do you mean the shadows are programmed into the software?
Ketsumio
I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari
@Link_2112:
That is a sweet looking screen shot!
I like the composition, feels very balanced. The angle in the cave really gives it a dynamic feel.

Are you able to climb up that vine? That would be sweeeeeeet!!! Climb up to a floating magic tree or something??...it would be hot sauce! O__O

My only gripe is the treasure chest, not a fan of how it looks. I would make it more round on the top and boxy on the bottom. But that is an opinion, others could fine it visually pleasing. :)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Hey, that's really cool Link! :D
I love the gameboy style alot.

My only complaint would be the squareness in the bottom right hand corner, left of that vine, looks kinda off to me. but not really a big deal at all, that's just nitpicking.

And I agree with Ketsumio! That vine should totally lead to a secret place, even a small one. unless that just grossly interferes with the gameplay, then ignore this!
author=arcan
The background (walls floor etc.) is drawn with a more detailed and realistic style while the sprite is cartoony with super visible outlines, exaggerated proportions and limited use of color which naturally makes them contrast. I was also thinking the setting looks very modern while the character appears to be wearing something you would see in dbz. What do you mean the shadows are programmed into the software?

Well I based my character in ff6 chars, as far as I know RPG characters in general have always had exagerated proportions. I don't think the tiles are too realistic, I use a limited color palette for it too, but I will probably change the palette once I figure how to do it without loosing too much quality.
About the shadows, RPGmaker VX autodraws shadows to the right of wall tiles if there is a floor tile in there, and that shadow is done like half a tile with a black color with some level of transparency. That's what I meant.
Thanks for the critics tough, I'll see what I can do. :)
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Yeah it's true that most chars have insane proportions but some go for more realistic sprites. I guess that part doesn't matter too much but that chipset totally makes me think sims + ff6. As for palette difference your white wall alone uses something like 8x(though its hard to tell with a lower quality image) as many colors as your sprite does. As for shadows I hope there is a patch or a button to turn those off so you may be able to use overlays. I'm no experts with shadows but I would do something like this.

Okay, I'll try to reduce the palette so it doesn't clash with the chars when I'm done with the tileset.
About the shadows, there is a script to turn them off, but the problem with VX is that it's not like XP that you have 3 layers to work with, you only have 2. So If I wanted to add shadows like that I would need to fill the map with events and that would probably lag the game. I'll probably keep the shados as they are now though, they don't really bother me.
re: the checked flooring, you might want to use a dark grey rather than a black. very little else uses the same contrast
It is actually a dark grey, but I already made the light gray(white) darker and the dark gray(black)lighter.
in that case LIGHTER. LIGHTER.
That's why I said I already changed it, after posting the screenshot, don't worry.
@Hima: I don't know what that game is about but it looks interesting, and I love it already just because of the cute graphics. x)

@Cray: Besides what has been said, I'd also suggest you to reduce the size of the kitchen tiles in half so they don't stand out as much.

@Link_2112: I'm not familiar with that type of graphics, but I think you should use another tile for the top of the mountain. Grass maybe?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Cray, I do really like your map itself. You did a good job making a realistically sized apartment with the right amount of furniture and the right amount of floor space, and enough variety that it's very eye-catching. I agree the sprite stands out too much though. The proportions aren't the problem - the outline is. See if you can find sprites without black outlines around them. Tales of Phantasia would be my first thought, but it's kind of overused and I'm sure there are tons and tons of other options. One of the Castlevania games? Mario RPG? That stupid DBZ game? The SNES Star Wars games? I dunno!
Or he could just adjust the outline himself. It's not like it's hard or anything.
I think arcans version looks better.

What do you think about This ^^

New Intro : Beta

Elevator Engine

author=Cray

Currently I'm working on the outside chipset for the main city.

Where is the TV? Where is the sink? Okay, you don't need a TV, but you would probably need a sink... Hurrr, I just love looking for inconsistencies with the modern world.

P.S.: Where do the people in Final Fantasy XII get their food from? I haven't seen a farm in my whole time adventuring there! Everything is either a huge city, in the desert, or overrun by dangerous monsters!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The sink is obviously embedded in the side wall. Or else under the counter. Or possibly on the ceiling. It's some place off-camera!

Actually now that I look at that kitchen, I'm more concerned that the counter is as tall as the refrigerator.

And people in FF12 eat monsters, duh
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=LockeZ
And people in FF12 eat monsters, duh

the real question is... where are the toilets?
LockeZ
Monsters are toilets too. You kill a monster and then you poo in its butt.

In other news I have been replaced by my 12 year old self in a causality accident. Please disregard everything I say that involves poo and butts.
author=saya
P.S.: Where do the people in Final Fantasy XII get their food from? I haven't seen a farm in my whole time adventuring there! Everything is either a huge city, in the desert, or overrun by dangerous monsters!

this isnt a serious question is it

just checking