THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=LockeZ
author=Mr_Detective
And by the way, to the screenshot above me, that font needs to go. :|
Yes. Yes it does.

I agree. Hopefully having three people in the same place saying the same thing might convince someone's "evil half" to speak up.

EDIT: Oh hell, top of the page... Well, here's a small piece of what I've been working on. This is the revised inside of the main hero's house in Tales from Zilmurik's "Ternotris". I made sure to keep the rooms 'economically' sized.
"Are you going to sit around all day helping your aunt in the garden, or are you going to go on an adventure?"

I've decided that I've gotten enough mapping done that I should start working on the rest of the game up to the point of including dungeons before actually tackling the mapping of these dungeons to ensure that balance is maintained and I use just enough space to throw in some "puzzles" while also making sure it doesn't go on forever, like this sentence.
author=KICKIT
Yes. Yes you can.

If they can't be talked to, then they don't need a face.

Huh? I have never played an RPG that has NPCs you can't talk to. :O
The font is adjustable. It works for the title screen save menu which is all white and such. But once you play the game, I typically nix it. The problem is, if at any time I skip straight to a screenshot (which would be now, since this scene is literally at the end of the game), I have the title font.

In fact, one of the first questions asked is "what font color do you want to change to?"

Seriously, midway through the intro, just before naming the hero. Of course, my taste in fonts may still be lacking. But that can be amended simply by importing the original system from the RTP (they're modified from the original 1-4, so it literally is a 2 second import fix).

I'm gonna put default systems in Extras, since everyone bothers me about it. Now, shush.

Now onto the picture, it's kinda complicated:

Room itself -> heart motifs and Aum Symbol (Aum is a Hindu syllable somehow involved in creation/existence, and this room is at the "heart" of a cosmic egg responsible for existence.

Dying angel Estheriel->got impaled (betrayed) earlier by her/his lieutenant now standing wrapping around with flames-> interestingly enough, this undoes a curse made to seal an evil object that says the only way it would be freed is if Estheriel was betrayed by the most trustworthy person turns against him (she's a valkyrie, it qualifies).

Valkyrie->Brunhilde from Wagner opera->her getting wreathed in flames as a result of disobedience is actually canon->spearing someone... isn't so much, but it seemed the right thing to do at the time. Although, there is a spear somewhere in Wagner's legend.

Ambrosia+Evil Half->she's the Oracle of Tao, so she has the dualistic interplay between light/dark->right now she's contemplating giving the finishing blow to an angel (angels in this universe are viewed are so perfect and innocent that they literally make people wracked with guilt/crazy afterwards)->guess which this makes her if she goes through with it. The dark half warns her that if she goes through with it, the other will disappear, as she'll have become her.

Ambrosia's daughter and husband->that's a long story too...
--------------------
Corfaisus, I can't figure out the way out of that house.

You have a door leading to a storeroom, stairs leading upstairs, but no path outside that I can see.

----------------------
I think they mean, if the person can only be talked to once without repeating, there's no point to it.
author=Mr_Detective
author=KICKIT
Yes. Yes you can.

I actually have this frequently, when using a lot of npcs. I tend to use variables with random wait times using the emotion icons to show them having conversations, or sleeping, or grumbling or anything, without any actual dialogue.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@Corfaisus: You've got a bad case of wall-barrels going on there man. Get a doctor to look at that.

author=Mr_Detective
author=KICKIT
Yes. Yes you can.

RPGs with NPCs you can't talk to:

World of Warcraft, Rift, and every other MMORPG
Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and every other Bethesda game
Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, and every other Bioware game
Recettear
The World Ends with You
Nethack
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 12, 13
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword
Every Ultima game

Most of these games have a tiny speech bubble or some other icon pop up over the heads of interactive NPCs, either all the time or when you approach them. However, not always. Notably, FF7, and FF8; there were just certain NPCs that were noninteractive, though it was much rarer in those games than in the others, and only occured in extremely crowded areas like the Shinra parade in Junon. A subway with 50 people in it would certainly qualify under those criteria.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

@kentz: There still looks like a lot of nothing going on in
the middle there. Why not put some fountains, trees, grass,
cliffs, waterfalls. You could have some
of those houses on higher levels and
have to climb stairs or ladders to get to
them. You have such a big area with no reason to
wander around it. You could probably contain what you have in
a smaller map or a series of smaller maps.

Edit:

It also looks like you placed a sign post right near a
tree. This is an awkward place to put a sign and
if the top of the tree is not passible it won't even
be readable.
Here is my new version of the map from previously.
@jomarcenter - I have to say there isn't really anything wrong with your dungeon, but then again nothing truly stands out from it, it's kind of just a standard underground dungeon, with a very very basic shape and not a lot of difficulty in navigation. It is hard to tell from this distance, but it seems a bit bland and repetitive in shape and design as well.

Perhaps a bit of variety in both pathways and filler could really help liven the place up. Again though, it is passable, just not memorable.
If there's an exit, there, to town... Why didn't you take the back entrance?

Unless, it's either a new entrance to town (blowing a hole in a wall or going through hidden stairs), or a town you haven't been to yet.

Actually, that could possibly be something second time players could do, find the hidden staircase and skip straight to the boss.
@bulmabriefs144
it another town, But the town also lead to an dead end. Which could be used as players to rest before they will take on the boss without fighting more monster before they got tired when reaching to the Boss entrance.
you notice that the boss entrance room was huge right? because it can handle more than 1 people. As the game also involved hundreds of people fighting the same boss at the same time.
@shaddow
Mostly it was intentionally to be unmemorable, but I cannot say it because it can spoiled the major plot of the game.

if you can't understand what am I saying it because the game info is still not available as of now in RPGmaker.net(Mostly I was the blamed for getting the game denined for grammar errors or something but it was resubmitted but until now it still pending) but in RPG Maker web is available to view,
Here the link to the game
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/13800-connected-destiny/
author=jomarcenter
@bulmabriefs144
it another town, But the town also lead to an dead end. Which could be used as players to rest before they will take on the boss without fighting more monster before they got tired when reaching to the Boss entrance.
you notice that the boss entrance room was huge right? because it can handle more than 1 people. As the game also involved hundreds of people fighting the same boss at the same time.
@shaddow
Mostly it was intentionally to be unmemorable, but I cannot say it because it can spoiled the major plot of the game.

if you can't understand what am I saying it because the game info is still not available as of now in RPGmaker.net(Mostly I was the blamed for getting the game denined for grammar errors or something but it was resubmitted but until now it still pending) but in RPG Maker web is available to view,
Here the link to the game
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/13800-connected-destiny/

I think there is another reason someone might not be able to understand what you're saying xD

If your game's plot means you need to have mediocre maps, maybe you should consider tweaking the plot. Perhaps you feel the plot justifies playing a sub-par game, but others won't feel that way. I would agree that there is nothing majorly wrong with the map, except that's got no flair.

One thing I notice is that the walls use an incosistant amount of tiles. In some places there is no corner piece connecting 2 tiles. Let's see if I can write out an example.

OOOOOOOO this is empty space
XXXXXXXX these are wall tiles

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOXXXOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOXXXOOOOOOO

These tiles only connect at the corner.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOXXXXOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOXXXOOOOOOO

There is an extra tile in the corner space, so they connect fully on the sides too.

Does that make sense?

Also, it seems like if you are in some of those tunnels, you would be able to see a few tiles from nearby tunnels. It might look better to space them out so you can only see tiles from the tunnel you are in.
Jomar, I really have to say that you've made huge leaps forward in your mapping. Well done, sir.
author=UPRC
Jomar, I really have to say that you've made huge leaps forward in your mapping. Well done, sir.

Took me 3 days to create this map. But it was worth it.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!

Remember how I made a post long ago about working on a zelda style game? Well here is the work in progress. I have some of the features already coded, but this is most of what I have graphics wise.
I don't really see much point in showing something that is far from finished. The trees look good, I guess?
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
Man, it is taking me forever to get done with this, not cause I am lazy, but because unlike the rest of you, I can never find any resources that suit my taste.
So then, I resort to making/ripping and re sizing my own.

(drawn by me.lol)

(Chipset and char by me.)

(Chipset ripped from Majouu)

(by me, from scratch. Edited so it wont be stolen.)
It takes me at least an hour to get done with a set, be it charset, chip set, face set or what ever it is.
Nowadays, as music is hard to find too, I remix music to suit my game.\m/
What do you guys think? :P
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

@arcan: That picture looks far from complete.
The NPC doesn't really look good either.
Are you using Zelda classic to make the game
or trying to using RPG Maker?

@NoAcceptance: I like the picture of the man
kneeling down at the skulls. Gives me a Castlevania
sort of feel.
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
@Kory toombs:
Hehe, hell yeah! I always thought that map was from castle Vania until I found it on a spriting site. :P
@Arcan: I absolutely adore your screenshot. I think people should take it for what it is a work in progress so I don't really understand the feedback you got from others but from my end it looks fantastic and I'd love to get lost in that world. Hope to see more from you soon, good luck!
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
@SnowOwl: The screenshot may not be complete but most of the base tiles are there, so you don't really need a full map. Meh, maybe I should have just posted in the Whatchu Working On thread

@kory_toombs: Is there anything specific you don't like about the npc? This is being made in XNA btw, on top of the library from my university. That means the maps aren't tile based.

@Lotus_Games: Thanks for the compliments. I kinda see what they are saying, I will just post completed maps next time.