SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (USA)

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=Space_Monkey
I don't get it. Are we talking about the 1988 nes game? That game is the "one of these things" that's "not like the other" when compared to the one before and after it but it's still pretty similar especially when compared to games outside the series. So it makes me wonder if I'm missing the point and the game in question is some other game...

I mean, why wouldn't it count?

btw. paper mario sucked balls.

you are missing the point

Super Mario Brothers 2 was actually a game called Doki Doki Panic, something completely unrelated. The original Super Mario Brothers 2 is what was later released in the Super Mario All-Stars pack as Lost Levels. They chose not to release Lost Levels state-side and instead re-skinned Doki Doki Panic because Lost Levels was too similar to Super Mario Brothers, and they felt that westerners were not going to be willing to pay full price for an expansion pack.

The reason it is 'up for debate' (it totally isn't. everyone accepts SMB2 as a legitimate entry in the series) is because of this, as well as all of the Non-Canonical things in the game. What people don't realize is that they only don't seem canonical now, compared to SMB and SMB3. Things from SMB2 have shown up more often in new releases than many of the aspects of SMB3. I've definitely seen a floating Peach, Turnips, Shy Guys, and Birdo a hell of a lot more than I have seen a Tanooki or Frog suit on Mario.

Also, I am not sure if the ending of Doki Doki Panic was the same, but they legitimized it by having Mario wake up from a dream after defeating Wart. Similar to Link waking up from the dream after waking the Windfish in Link's Awakening. There were many aspects of Link's Awakening that never made it into another game, because they were all considered to be a dream-world that didn't really exist.
author=Dyhalto
author=Ben_Random
I know about Doki Doki. They made another Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, but it was two hard for us fat, lazy Americans.
It was also a piece of crap.
Unlike most sequels that evolve on the original or transform completely, Lost Levels was like an expansion pack. It used the exact same engine and graphics. Did it introduce a single new thing besides that damn poison shroom?
The mighty titan that is Super Mario Bros deserved more than that, and I think a Doki Doki remix was the right decision.

You must note that the lost levels added something else to Mario. Reverse Warp Zones.

(Not that I like them)
author=prexus
you are missing the point

Super Mario Brothers 2 was actually a game called Doki Doki Panic, something completely unrelated. The original Super Mario Brothers 2 is what was later released in the Super Mario All-Stars pack as Lost Levels. They chose not to release Lost Levels state-side and instead re-skinned Doki Doki Panic because Lost Levels was too similar to Super Mario Brothers, and they felt that westerners were not going to be willing to pay full price for an expansion pack.

The reason it is 'up for debate' (it totally isn't. everyone accepts SMB2 as a legitimate entry in the series) is because of this, as well as all of the Non-Canonical things in the game. What people don't realize is that they only don't seem canonical now, compared to SMB and SMB3. Things from SMB2 have shown up more often in new releases than many of the aspects of SMB3. I've definitely seen a floating Peach, Turnips, Shy Guys, and Birdo a hell of a lot more than I have seen a Tanooki or Frog suit on Mario.

Also, I am not sure if the ending of Doki Doki Panic was the same, but they legitimized it by having Mario wake up from a dream after defeating Wart. Similar to Link waking up from the dream after waking the Windfish in Link's Awakening. There were many aspects of Link's Awakening that never made it into another game, because they were all considered to be a dream-world that didn't really exist.

ah I see. thank you for explaining it.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Mario Bros 2 was great. It was one of the games me and my sister played over and over. Until we got a Sega Genesis and lost all interest in 8-Bit. Sonic, Ecco, Earthworm Jim <3
Both games are very fun. Haven't played either in years though.
I loved playing Mario 2 on my NES when I was a kid; and I never really liked the "Lost Levels" when I played it on the SNES back then. So, yeah, Mario 2 rocked (but not as much as Mario 3).

I guess it was a bit strange to find out down the road that it was actually "Doki Doki Panic" with Mario's mug slapped on it, but people in the States didn't know that, so it felt original at the time. It may be a bit strange to be a Mario game, but that didn't really matter back in '88. It's still a good game, and I still play it once and awhile whenever I get a chance. :D
author=Brent
I loved playing Mario 2 on my NES when I was a kid; and I never really liked the "Lost Levels" when I played it on the SNES back then. So, yeah, Mario 2 rocked (but not as much as Mario 3).

I guess it was a bit strange to find out down the road that it was actually "Doki Doki Panic" with Mario's mug slapped on it, but people in the States didn't know that, so it felt original at the time. It may be a bit strange to be a Mario game, but that didn't really matter back in '88. It's still a good game, and I still play it once and awhile whenever I get a chance. :D

Agreed.
Pages: first prev 12 last