NOTHING IS PERFECT

Pages: first prev 1234 last
I pretty much agree with what has been said here. I used to be of the opinion that nothing should get a 5/5, but that was like 2 years ago or something.

Really, a 5/5 often means that whatever I gave that rating is one of my favorite works in that media, be it a show, game, book or whatever. I've only ever gave something a 5 once before (Boxley) but I'm sure it'll happen again at some point.

Basically what everyone else said, a 5/5 is just an extremely enjoyable, well made work.
Yes I agree. A 5/5 should not be perfection, but rather a sign of excellence.
Well I have a different take. I don't think a rating system should be about putting a number to the quality of a game so much as it should be an indicator of whether a potential player would enjoy it. The two might sound like they are the same thing, but they aren't quite. The former is more interesting as an academic question. The latter has more practical use to potential players.

For that reason I don't favor a numerical rating system at all. Just "recommended" or "not recommended", with some added parameter that indicates the type of audience you do or do not recommend the game to, since we all have different tastes. Quality is too subjective for me to attach much weight to what somebody's numerical evaluation is for a game I'm considering playing. I just want to know if I'm the type of guy who might enjoy it.

Pages: first prev 1234 last