[POLL] JUDGING WHETHER TO DOWNLOAD A GAME? WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR?

Poll

What is the major/deciding factor for YOU when choosing whether or not to download a game for the first time? - Results

Description - If there's a summary of the plot that catches your interest
25%
Game Page Presentation - Including CSS, logos and the like
2%
Download Amounts - That is, the number of downloads the game already has.
2%
Graphics and Use of - As presented via Screenshots
33%
Videos of the project - Whether LPs, Game Trailers or other
1%
Creator - Having played their past games or knowing them personally/by reputation
5%
Comments - What others have said in the comment section
5%
Game Score - The rating given, whether good or bad
1%
Reviews - Whether they be LTs or written reviews.
3%
Hype - Whether it be flooding with advertisement on sites or
1%
Features - Gameplay promises and certain scripts
9%
Recommendations - Hearing from others that it's worth playing
6%

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=PsychoFreaX
First is probably reviews if there are any, then features if any is listed. With the descriptions, it's becoming more difficult to create a summary of an interesting story so I mainly look at the characters if any are listed and the variety. Then there's the graphics.

It's funny because if I see a game with 2 stars or less, I'm MORE inclined to play it just to laugh at it.
author=Ratty524
author=PsychoFreaX
First is probably reviews if there are any, then features if any is listed. With the descriptions, it's becoming more difficult to create a summary of an interesting story so I mainly look at the characters if any are listed and the variety. Then there's the graphics.
It's funny because if I see a game with 2 stars or less, I'm MORE inclined to play it just to laugh at it.

Yeah I did feel like that at some stage until I got tired of it.
I picked features but actually for me its both feature and screenshots
Yeah, pretty much just the screenshots. Good screenshots are key.
I agree with Nessy about the game descriptions. It's usually recommendations or hype for me. Plus it saves a lot of time than reading them/skimming the screenshots.

Creator and features would go next, graphics being the last. Not saying that original graphics aren't a nice touch, but I'm not too keen on wasting my time just "playing for the graphics" if the story or gameplay is mediocre.
you should add "I never judge a book by it's cover" option. Since everything in the list didn't affect in my decision on downloading or not (Maybe except for complains in the comment about the file contain virus or whatnot)
and also "file size" since it too hard to download big file with user who have really bad internet speed. and can also affect the decision weather to download it or not.
The description is usually what sells the game to me. In particular, it's the description of the characters that's important and a character section greatly improves the chance that I will download the game.
I agree with the current majority and say that screenshot graphics are the primary factor I use when deciding if I should download a game (comments, reviews, and feature lists all being notable secondary factors).

Seeing RTP-based graphics in screenshots doesn't actually bother me too much (though custom sprites are always a nice plus) and I generally pay attention to what is actually going on in the screenshots. Screenshots of maps with way too much open space, with graphical assets which blatantly clash, or with some dialogue with spelling errors usually guarantee that I won't touch a game; the existence of a few spelling errors in a game is certainly tolerable, but when a screenshot a person uses as a representation of the game as a whole has one or more it usually doesn't bode well for the rest of the game. Likewise, screenshots of boring stuff also make me hesitate from downloading a game - if over half of the screenshots consist of things like the main menu, the party walking through a generic fantasy town, or of a fight with a run-of-the-mill slime I'll assume the game simply has nothing interesting or unique to offer.

Lastly, I want to mention that a video either of uncut gameplay (preferably not just of the first few minutes of the game) or in the form of a trailer can actually sway me more than screenshots, but I'll rarely seek out videos of games if the game's creator hasn't provided a link to one on the game's page and it's fairly uncommon for such a thing to be provided so, for the majority of games, screenshots remain the main factor.
Question, since its a term I haven't seen used before coming here... What are RTP graphics or RTP-based graphics exactly?
Basically, they are the resources that come with the game maker. They are therefore the most accessible and a lot of people use them. VX and VX Ace have character generators, but they are still considered RTP because they have the same style as all the default characters.

RTP = run-time package
author=Shoobinator
Basically, they are the resources that come with the game maker. They are therefore the most accessible and a lot of people use them. VX and VX Ace have character generators, but they are still considered RTP because they have the same style as all the default characters.

Ah, good to know, thanks. Basically what I was suspecting, then.
screenshots are usually the first thing I look for in a game, although they're never my last stop even if they don't manage to hook me very well. my main thing with projects is how they use what they're given -- if you're making a straight-laced medieval fantasy jrpg with all the jrpg faces we've come to know and love, you've pretty much lost me already no matter how high your production values are. lately I've been messing around with games like OFF and Miserere, which are less polished than many other projects but have some stylistic or mechanical aspect particular to themselves.

I guess the bottom line is that I look for projects that have some kind of soul to 'em. most of the time I'm disappointed, but whatever.
author=ivoryjones
I agree with Nessy about the game descriptions. It's usually recommendations or hype for me. Plus it saves a lot of time than reading them/skimming the screenshots.

Hmm...you know you can just skim through the thumbnails of screenshots instead of browsing them one at a time, right? Thumbnails say a lot more than descriptions and have a greater potential to showcase a brief view/feel of what the game is than descriptions.

But of course, to each his own.
Well, if someone who has the same taste as me told me it's worth playing, then I can just download the game directly right? One does not simply play a game to "look" at it..!! (Now bad mapping is an entirely different story...)
For me it's a mixture of things, but mostly it's about description/gameplay and screenshots/art. But not conceptual art... It's hard to describe..

Warning, personal opinion:
I'm one of those people that completely and utterly hate (retail) games that have trailers that never show a single piece of actual UI or gameplay. I'm not here to watch a movie, I'm trying to decide if I want to play a game, and most of that will be through gameplay/UI.

So my answer would be: Screenshots that show gameplay elements mentioned in descriptions. It's one thing to have a beautiful description, but ideas are just the first step, you have to realize them and put them into a game that's (subjectively) fun
author=SummonOfYuna
Warning, personal opinion:
I'm one of those people that completely and utterly hate (retail) games that have trailers that never show a single piece of actual UI or gameplay. I'm not here to watch a movie, I'm trying to decide if I want to play a game, and most of that will be through gameplay/UI.

I haven't seen many of these (although I haven't really been looking) but that sounds pretty unbearable when it comes to amateur 2D games. dialogue boxes and static sprites set to an excited soundtrack... eugh.

e: also, if you're making a trailer, please don't give things like "A COMPELLING STORY" and "REALISTIC CHARACTERS" their own title cards. that's something that's really up for the player to decide, and it makes you look like you can't think of anything else to put in. these are fine things to mention in a game's overview, but listing them as if they're features is a bit tacky.
e: why there be this other here -- this thing! why this, when there is me! there is me, me, me, there is only me.
I look at the description before I download a game.
Because the poll is very limiting allowing to choose only one option I'll post my view on each topic:
  • Description - If there's a summary of the plot that catches your interest
    That's quite important, as it allows me to see if that is what I'm looking for in terms of storyline, like if the game is very cliche, or make the cliches quite the opposite (e.g.: instead of a typical male swordsman and female healer couple lead it has female swordsman and a male healer: seeing a story with this type of 'cliche' from time to time is quite refreshing and doesn't make the game feel 'static').
  • Game Page Presentation - Including CSS, logos and the like
    I always envy how people can understand and customise the CSS, and I support non-standard layouts on game profiles when one can do so.
  • Download Amounts - That is, the number of downloads the game already has.
    This is not something that I look when tempting to download a game.
  • Graphics and Use of - As presented via Screenshots
    Screenshots are very important part of the game development in my opinion as the developer and/or mapper(s) can get feedback on the mapping, or scripter(s) on the menus. I don't discard the game simply because it uses RTP as you can do some great things with it (I remember seeing Lunarea's screenshots done mainly with the RMVX RTP and they're godly).
  • Videos of the project - Whether LPs, Game Trailers or other
    I generally don't watch LPs, but trailers, gameplays and such are nice to see. It's always a nice thing to hear the soundtrack, even though it might be placeholder sometimes.
  • Creator - Having played their past games or knowing them personally/by reputation
    This is pure pidgeonholing for "great developers" and "bad developers", so no.
  • Comments - What others have said in the comment section
    It's nice to read others' opinions, but I prefer to try the game myself.
  • Game Score - The rating given, whether good or bad
    I think I look at the game score and depending on it, I decide to play it or not.
  • Reviews - Whether they be LTs or written reviews.
    Actually, I don't read reviews that much, so there's little influence of them on me.
  • Hype - Whether it be flooding with advertisement on sites or
    I might look for the advertised game, so yeah, but as long as it's something I'm interested in.
  • Features - Gameplay promises and certain scripts
    Oh yes! Sometimes there might be some unique gameplay aspects because of that.
  • Recommendations - Hearing from others that it's worth playing
    Umm...I don't get any recommendations so I can't really say.
I didn't vote for videos because they're kinda rare on rpg maker projects but if I could make a multiple choice I will choose it too.

Also, I agree with Liberty's point of view, RTP map can look nice if the creator used them wisely.