NEW POLICIES FOR 2014: A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
As the year of 2013 has ended and we welcome a new year, there are a couple important things that happened the past year that require some changes to.

There were numerous stories in 2013 of disgusting controversies surrounding female gamers and game developers across the internet. There have been an astounding number of cases of women being harassed, attacked, and threatened by men because they made the decision to be game developers while also being female, or because men somehow took issue with something they said or believed and took it upon themselves to punish or drive out women from the industry.

If you're not familiar with these controversies around women in the game industry in the last few years, look up Anita Sarkeesian, Jennifer Hepler or Zoe Quinn just to name a few that I can think of off the top of my head. There is currently outrage regarding the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter project because one of the community managers (a woman) dared to suggest there be a playable female character in the game. These actions are often committed in communities where the staff actually condones or encourages this behavior, or in other cases does nothing to stop it.

Regrettably, some of the women who frequent this website have reported incidents of them being harassed or threatened here on RMN as well.

Guys, this kind of thing is absolutely disgusting and is 125% not acceptable on RMN. It is not condoned by the staff, it will not be tolerated, and individuals who commit such attacks are not welcome here.

We are lucky to have some really cool and prolific ladies on this website, and even on our staff. We also have a number of cool and prolific members who are openly LGBT. Discrimination or harassment of such individuals is hate speech and is unacceptable.

If you are subject to harassment of this nature, you do not have to suffer in silence. It does not matter who said it.

Harassment should be reported immediately to myself or kentona so that proper administrative action can be taken.

This holds true on the website, our IRC Channel, or any media directly sponsored by RMN, such as our Facebook page.

Individuals who threaten or harass users for any reason will be banned forever and will probably not be missed.

Additionally, there have been repeated occasions of media submissions, especially Let's Play/Let's Try videos casually using insulting gendered language, such as flippantly referring to female characters as "whores" or "prostitutes."

We regret that we have not taken action on this issue in the past, as RMN's policy has generally been to allow all content to exist until someone lodges a complaint. People have made complaints about this issue and action shall be taken.

Degrading language towards women in submitted content is banned as per our Terms of Service.

If any of you think it would be clever to cite that this is an infringement on your freedom of speech and that we are horrible fascists for expecting you to behave like civil human beings, sorry, but this is not the case.

Freedom of speech only applies to what the government allows you to say. If you are a United States citizen and wrote an article for a newspaper saying that you think President Obama is a terrible leader, a squad of stormtroopers will not kick down your door and drag you off to Gitmo to be tortured forever. That's Freedom of Speech.

What you are allowed to say on this website is subject to RMN's Terms of Service and the judgement of this site's administration. Posting on this site is a privilege that can be revoked at any time by the staff. Additionally, use of hateful language on this website is already forbidden. You may not use racial slurs or degrading terms towards homosexuals. You may also not use degrading terms for women.

Our Terms of Service are undergoing revision to better reflect the policies of this website.

This does not affect the standards of game submissions, as there are legitimate uses for sexism or racism in establishing a setting for a game universe. However, games deemed objectionable can still be denied at the discretion of the submission managers, myself and Deckiller.

In regards to video submissions, especially Let's Plays/Let's tries, we face a dilemma here. These sometimes contain hours of video footage and staff members don't always have time to watch a video for several hours to make sure nobody says a naughty word. We are relying on those who submit content to adhere to this policy. If you notice offensive content on the website, report it to myself, kentona or Deckiller.

2014 promises to be an exciting year for RMN as we are looking to launch our Storefront and hopefully help bring deserving RPGMaker games to a wider audience. As commercial games gain prominence on this site we must take special care.

An RMN user, KisarethStudios, was recently banned for attempting to use an alternate account to review her own commercial game and post negative reviews of competing commercial games. RMN intends to uphold a fair environment of competition for commercial and non-commercial users alike. Attempts to supplant this environment and sabotage competitors are fraudulent and will not be tolerated.

Alternate accounts are not allowed.

Additionally, a Kickstarter project that was advertised and supported by RMN recently failed due to lack of organization by the development team. We do not wish for RMN users to donate to projects only to see them fail, so new policies are being implemented to combat this.

If you wish to have your Kickstarter project supported by RMN you must provide, at minimum, a working demo or prototype of your project to prove you can do what you claim you can.

Other policies on this subject will be announced.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them here.

We at the RMN hope that you have a very safe, happy, and productive new year!

Sincerely,

The RMN Staff
This is all fine and dandy, and I've always supported this kind of diligence from a community, but my only concern is how far are we willing to take this? For example, I could condemn your use of the word "ladies" right now. Many women do consider that term to be "degrading" so, are you now in violation of these new policies or what? ...Is a tricky subject.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this kind of topics in general and I believe the site could benefit from a more robust report system. The current one is a bit too cumbersome: it requires sending a PM and explaining the reason why you're reporting something, which may even not yield any results despite a flagrant disregard of the site's policies. So, if you're expecting from people to go out of their ways to report something they may see in an LP or something, I have a hard time seeing that happen.

I was thinking a report system more akin to YouTube's would be nice: A drop-down menu to select the reason why you're reporting something and just click the 'report' button--That would be pretty handy. This can even be expanded to report stolen art or links to wares, etc. A report can even leave a tiny flag on the corner of a post to serve as an active reminder to the community of what kind of behaviors need to be worked on; although, I'm not so sure about how effective this last idea would be.
_
Regarding the kickstarter thing, the demo is a nice idea, but a game can still flop and the developer can run away with the money even after that, so there's really no warranty. I don't know, maybe some other factors need to be taken into account, like a full disclosure of the project's budget, or procuring a project does not use copyrighted material, etc...
I honestly can't think of much good that ever came from Kickstarters compared to stuff like people running away with the money, or just making a really disappointing RTP game, or scamming money out of gullible people... and so on.
I think you should make the rules regarding Kickstarters as strict as possible, so yeah, good work on that.
author=alterego
This is all fine and dandy, and I've always supported this kind of diligence from a community, but my only concern is how far are we willing to take this? For example, I could condemn your use of the word "ladies" right now. Many women do consider that term to be "degrading" so, are you now in violation of these new policies or what? ...Is a tricky subject.

I would assume (and hope) that they're only talking about cases of blatant hate speech. Take for example the fact that a lot of people use generic words that degrade either sex, like bitch/bastard, while not that many people would throw out an insult like whore or slut in the same manner. A lot of the time it's easy to see when an insult is coming from direct hate.

That being said, being a member of a (minority?) I enjoy knowing that you guys are taking a stand against that kind of behaviour on the site. I've personally never been insulted over being a Xenophile (mostly cause I'm not really forward about it) but hey, it's good to know that I'd be able to do something about it if I ever was.
Solitayre
author=SnowOwl
I honestly can't think of much good that ever came from Kickstarters compared to stuff like people running away with the money, or just making a really disappointing RTP game, or scamming money out of gullible people... and so on.
I think you should make the rules regarding Kickstarters as strict as possible, so yeah, good work on that.

We're open to suggestions on this front.

Also, anyone can still run a Kickstarter and plug it on their own game blog or something like that. But if you want coverage on the front page of the site you're going to need to meet some standards.
author=alterego
Regarding the kickstarter thing, the demo is a nice idea, but a game can still flop and the developer can run away with the money even after that, so there's really no warranty. I don't know, maybe some other factors need to be taken into account, like a full disclosure of the project's budget, or procuring a project does not use copyrighted material, etc...

Kickstarter promotion on this site should have to go through the submission queue, honestly. Going through the submission queue would kill a few birds with one stone:

• If a user wants to promote their campaign here, they could attach it to a gamepage
  • This means the project would have to have a gamepage, so that means it should already be approved once (this means - crucially - that the game has to exist)
  • A project that's approved to have a Kickstarter campaign attached to it could have a Kickstarter link on the sidebar where all the game info is
  • A project that's denied will have to add a download, appeal in some other way, or advertise elsewhere. If they're a fraudster, RMN had no part in it and hey, the system works!
  • This also means that Kickstarter discussion could be centralized to a game's gamepage. It also means that since it's gamepage discussion, forum topics about the campaign should be locked and that Kickstarter discussion of independent projects on the forums should only be approved on a case-by-case basis instead of approved until in violation of the forum rules.

Discussion of certain matters like budget, risks/challenges could take place in those contexts. I don't think there should be hard and fast rules like furnishing an entire budget beforehand (depending on how detailed you want to get, this can be impractical as inevitable costs come up during development), but the project creator should be able to back up their words with facts and figures. If the community doesn't feel like the facts provided are up to snuff, the gamepage can be a centralized location to voice those concerns. It would get buzz much like anything else would get buzz on the site and would act as a signal booster in the event that someone's trying to pull a fast one.

In summation, the stakes are higher for all parties if Kickstarter discussion takes place on a game's gamepage.

This is just my input as someone who's had a Kickstarter campaign funded and successfully delivered on the promises I made to my backers.

P.S: I strongly support the inclusion of a strict anti-harassment policy, so it's nice that y'all got around to that. Many other sites don't.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Just avoid shit like this
author=Solitayre
author=SnowOwl
We're open to suggestions on this front.

Also, anyone can still run a Kickstarter and plug it on their own game blog or something like that. But if you want coverage on the front page of the site you're going to need to meet some standards.

If it was up to me anything Kickstarter would be banned.
I'm actually surprised that we've had female members lodge complaints about harassment because, from the outside, RMN looks like a really tolerant community. I guess what goes on in private whether in our inboxes or, say, on RMN's IRC channel can be a totally different story. Crap like that should be nipped in the butt pronto. Everyone should be treated equally, and it's completely idiotic that sexism is still an issue in this day and age. We have some truly outstanding female members such as Liberty, Nessiah or SorceressKyrsty and the idea of them being mistreated by male members is just completely stupid. It doesn't look like the harassment is really on the surface of RMN too much but, wherever it's happening, I hope that it comes to a grinding halt.
author=Solitayre
If you wish to have your Kickstarter project supported by RMN you must provide, at minimum, a working demo or prototype of your project to prove you can do what you claim you can.
I think that rule is a bit objectionable since the concept of Kickstarter is to provide funds for creative projects. What if a project funding is in need to developed a game with uses a Dedicated Game engine. And it true that some people isn't very organized but it rare and there some reason maybe they need finds to hired more people to develop the project.
And I don't think that RMN should be strict about Kickstarter project. Since Kickstarter itself is very strict of what user is doing with the money. If they found a fraud they just ban them and returned the money to the rightful owners.
And like Pasty said it could be useful if you use the idea. But try to include a
feature in creating a gamepage that the project is need of funds or something.

And don't expect that every Kickstarter project will be funded successfully since it really a part of Kickstarter. But for user who money stuff if you read the terms of services is the backer responsibility
Here is the part of their terms of use http://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use

author=Kickstarter terms of service
Kickstarter is not liable for any damages or loss incurred related to rewards or any other use of the Service. Kickstarter is under no obligation to become involved in disputes between any Users, or between Users and any third party arising in connection with the use of the Service. This includes, but is not limited to, delivery of goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties, or representations associated with campaigns on the Site. Kickstarter does not oversee the performance or punctuality of projects. The Company does not endorse any User Submissions. You release Kickstarter, its officers, employees, agents, and successors in rights from claims, damages, and demands of every kind, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Service.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other note about female harassment. I don't know how many idiots here that think this place population is male only. But it a good idea to report since it really offending to female and also a leading cause of losing female users around video games because of idiotic males users. Hopefully that gender equality should be practiced by all users in RMN. Since everyone male of female can do everything.
There's really nothing wrong with the Kickstarter rule. It's just saying that, if you want RMN to be behind you in your Kickstarter campaign, you simply need to show us that you at least possess the ability or technical know-how to do what you're setting out to do. If you're unable to do so because of supposed money constraints (laziness), then that's a serious red flag right away.

Even entrepreneurs will display/yield product prototypes to potential investors if asked. It shows that you're already serious about your ambitions and that you have the experience or knowledge to tackle what you've set out to do. If someone says "No, I need financial backing before I can do anything" then, well, you're not going to get anywhere. Anyone can say that they need financial backing to do make something really revolutionary. Heck, even I can say it if I wanted to. If you can't show off some form of a prototype to potential backers, then you're essentially asking people to give you money based on a very flimsy honour system. People who do that are fools.
author=jomarcenter
And it true that some people isn't very organized but it rare and there some reason maybe they need finds to hired more people to develop the project.

It's not rare. At all.
author=jomarcenter
And I don't think that RMN should be strict about Kickstarter project. Since Kickstarter itself is very strict of what user is doing with the money. If they found a fraud they just ban them and returned the money to the rightful owners.

Pffffft.
author=SnowOwl
author=jomarcenter
Pffffft.

^

author=UPRC
There's really nothing wrong with the Kickstarter rule. It's just saying that, if you want RMN to be behind you in your Kickstarter campaign, you simply need to show us that you at least possess the ability or technical know-how to do what you're setting out to do. If you're unable to do so because of supposed money constraints (laziness), then that's a serious red flag right away.

Indeed.

Solitayre
author=jomarcenter
author=Solitayre

I really don't think showing us a demo before you ask for thousands of dollars is expecting a lot.
unity
You're magical to me.
Especially since everyone has ideas, but it takes effort to actually put something out there. And asking someone to show at least a modicum of effort before the community supports them is just common sense, in my opinion.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
good stuff yo, I like all of it a whole lot

The Kickstarter thing... I mean, obviously KS has whatever rules it has, but it sounds like RMN is just saying "we don't want to promote projects that fail due to abysmal disorganization" and... I mean, that sounds fair. Some projects are gonna fail to abysmal disorganization anyway but at least they'll have a minimum.
Sort of old news but I only read them now, how irresponsible.
Anyways, I'm very happy with this new stand relating to minority and women harassment. But happiness apart, I'm also actually surprised, as I never did notice the existence of such behavior in RMN. In fact, as previously stated, I believe RMN is one of the most reasonable places to be in the gaming internet except maybe for the eventual user alienation that I don't see happening much anymore at all.

All in all, to me, RMN is a fantastic, tolerable community and I cannot imagine this taking place on here. But now that it's been told, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

At any rate, I thank you guys for this new attitude. It's honorable and I hope it brings some more fervent creativity and an even more diverse community to our site!

:)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Obviously, this is a necropost and a half. I got here from here.

author=Solitayre
Degrading language towards women in submitted content is banned as per our Terms of Service.

This is so unbelievably gay and retarded that it makes me want to spew. I had no idea that RMN had already been, for a year, on the bullshit SJW bandwagon of silencing dissenting opinions in the name of "tolerance". Because nothing is more "tolerant" than banning speech you disagree with, am i rite?.

Unless you are also specifically banning degrading language towards men (which would also be equally gay and retarded), this is an unbelievably despicably sexist double standard.

Let me be perfectly clear:

• Not policing "degrading" language referring to women or men: Sensible.
  • Policing "degrading" language referring to women and policing "degrading" language referring to men: Gay and Retarded.
  • Policing "degrading" language referring to only women, but not men, or only men, but not women: Gay, and retarded, and a despicably sexist double standard.

Here is another thing. This new rule, which I was totally unaware of, was specifically cited as a reason for my bullshit ban.

But when I said that "Zoe Quinn is a lying whore", that was not remotely "degrading language towards women". It insults one specific woman: Zoe Quinn. It reflects upon other women not at all. It effects other women not at all. It has nothing to do with the woman I have been dating for eight years, nothing to do with the woman whose team I was working on for the Game Jam that went on DURING this entire debacle.

The idea that calling Zoe Quinn a whore somehow degrades all women is a dangerous and toxic fallacy that is probably more harmful to women than to anyone else.

If someone says "Solitayre is kind of a prick" is that NOW "degrading language towards (ALL) men"? That the only reason it isn't considered that is because of a bullshit, sexist double standard is a dark reflection of the society we seem to be tumbling towards, headlong.

author=Solitayre
If any of you think it would be clever to cite that this is an infringement on your freedom of speech and that we are horrible fascists for expecting you to behave like civil human beings, sorry, but this is not the case.

Freedom of speech only applies to what the government allows you to say. If you are a United States citizen and wrote an article for a newspaper saying that you think President Obama is a terrible leader, a squad of stormtroopers will not kick down your door and drag you off to Gitmo to be tortured forever. That's Freedom of Speech.

You are absolutely correct that you are not infringing upon our legal First Amendment right to freedom of speech. However, it is absolutely clear that you do not give a shit about Freedom of Speech because you have not protected it with your site's policies and TOS, and therefore you are still horrible fascists.

"Civil" human beings can still call someone a bitch when they are being a bitch, and that is Freedom of Speech too. It's just not allowed on your site.

Chance I will get banned for this post on the basis of it violating some unknown or conveniently made up rule: Who even knows. I wish I could say I don't care but...it's not even true that I don't care. I do care. This site is basically my sole interface with a potential audience of thousands for the hobbyist RPGs I have invested fifteen years of my life in developing. So obviously yes, I care a lot.

But I wouldn't be worth spit as a person if I cared more about the opportunity to try to get internet famous for making RPG Maker games than I did about what I actually believe to be right and wrong in the real world.

Actively and aggressively preventing the actual harassment of actual people, including women? Good and commendable.

Dictating and policing which words are and are not ALLOWED to be used on the basis of political correctness? Actual for real fucking fascism. And LITERALLY DEPLORABLE.

All I know for sure is that it seems more likely than not that I will continue to post a LOT less here. Even if I don't get banned for my opinion. Again.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me, please direct message me off-site. I'm not hard to find.
User was warned for this post
"oh boohoo I was banned for my shitty behaviour and now I am trying to rationalize why it is bullshit because my ego can't take it!"

get over yourself Legion.

author=Max McGee
If anyone wants to discuss this with me, please direct message me off-site. I'm not hard to find.

Why don't you just stay off site? You're clearly only sticking around here to act like a whiny child over a two week ban.

Christ, it's just fucking sad at this point.