WIP THREAD (NON-GAME ONLY)

man, you all make me jealous. your pixelling skills are all really great! I just got my character concept art to show.

Coming up with good characters is pretty hard, but its pretty fun too. I plan for the fat lion and the girl scientist to be PCs in my project, and the pack rat is a recurring npc as of now.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Those are all super cute.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Homunculus
I love that character, is it an OC of yours? I'd love to know more about her, I'm in love with her design.

Ah, yea! She's the Rat Queen, she lives in the sewers by herself and commands all of these flying rats. She's kind of a loner and a pain in the ass, but she's not evil. I'm hoping I can put her in a game soon :) There's another pic of her here.

@spejoku: Dude, I love those little doodles. The little rat explorer with the oversized backpack is super cool.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'm trying to improve my inking for character busts, and I'm struggling to figure out how to make more clean lines. All my lines look really pixel crushed, and when I resize them so they would go in a bust image, they just look really sloppy.

Here's the original bust:

This was made on a 544 x 576 canvas. The outline was made with a 4px brush and the thinner lines by a 3px brush.

When resized to 272 x 288, it looks like this:

I suppose I could try drawing it in an even bigger canvas. That could make it easier to ink, but it'd be even more crushed after a resize. Perhaps the thicker lines would lessen the effects of the crushing?

What do you think?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
What program are you using, and do you have antialiasing turned on?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'm using Paint Tool Sai, and I haven't set any antialiasing settings, so I'm going to go with no.
Sooz
That'd account for the jaggies, then. I'm not familiar with SAI, but I'd say figure out how to up the antialiasing, which will soften the lines considerably. Though, honestly, the reduced version you have now looks fine to my eyes.

You might also work in a larger resolution; what I do for RPGMaker art is work in 150-300 ppi/dpi (about double the final size), then reduce it to 72 for the final, since that's all you'll really end up needing. (For HD stuff I'd say start at 600 and reduce to 300 ppi, which tends to be the max quality most humans can see easily.)
Red_Nova
The first pic I showed was double the resolution of the second one, which would be the same size used in the game. If you say it looks fine, then that's great! I'll take a look and try to find the antialiasing setting. I once tried to do a sketch at TRIPLE the original size, but that turned into a pixelated nightmare.

Actually, I did forget to do one small thing. I learned an interesting trick awhile ago to give the inking a more polished look. Lemme try it...

Not so much EDIT as returning to the post after trying this out. I duplicated the line art, added a 2px Gaussian Blur, then set the blur's opacity to about 15%. To me, it looks a little less pixel-y.

Here's what it looks like:

What do you think?
unity
You're magical to me.
Looks a bit nicer to me :D
Red_Nova
Great! The blur step is reserved normally for the final step, so that's not something that I should do until I color and shade the bust. It's great to hear that this is a solution if I can't find the antialiasing in Paint Tool Sai.
Been churning out speedpaints for the past couple days.
Some are pretty rough.

Not sure if I'll finish any, but maybe!
Sooz
Really like that faceless one. :D
Thanks! :>
That's probably my favorite too actually.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Nice collection, Boy.
that one is cool. My fav is prbly the unfinished high school dream one.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I started roughing this wolfman thing about a week ago, then I stopped and just left it there catching dust on my desk. What should I do with it? (Part of me is saying THROW IT AWAY AND DO IT OVERRRRRR!!)
You should do it up and finish it cause it looks AWESOME

I "bee" workin' on pixelling Q-bee
Sooz
author=Ratty524
I started roughing this wolfman thing about a week ago, then I stopped and just left it there catching dust on my desk. What should I do with it?

The main issue to my eyes is the head seeming a bit large for the rest of him. Loks fine otherwise.
Hey Guys!
I have finally got enough courage to create a bleach game on the RPG maker using some of the format from the DS game Bleach: 3rd Phantom. As you guys might not know, that game was actually written by the author "Tite Kubo" himself so I will be incorporating all of that in the game i have planned. right now Tite Kubo said that he might give me some of the characters past info that is not something you can find anywhere else, because I am thinking on doing a bleach game that starts on the formation of the ZERO division, how Bankai was established with the 13 court guards, the Visaad and then the ichigo and later arc with the possibility of even being able to create your own character. Any one interested in this WIP?