SUPER SMASH BROS FOR WIIU

Only two more characters to unlock, and I've slowly been trying to use the rest of the roster other than the 10 or so characters I had tried before. While Zelda is still the character I use more than any other, R.O.B. has really made quite an impression on me. I didn't expect much from looking at him, but he's actually pretty darn fun!
Turns out my username is kentonagbone (just like Steam!)

But Smash Bros U is currently wrapped under the xmas tree, so you won't be able to destroy me until the 25th at the earliest.
author=AlphaOmega247
1. "Crappy" might have been too harsh a word. Nothing in the game is crappy except for the stage builder parts. "Disappointing" is probably more apt.

2. Robin is the one with the books. Just like in the Fire Emblem games, if you use an item too many times, it breaks and you can't use it anymore, so if you spam Robin's attacks, they'll eventually break and become unavailable for awhile. Not really a problem for me, though, as my numerous deaths grant me a fully refreshed Robin with great frequency. The magic works best when you charge it, but I mostly rely upon his sword.

3. Funky projectiles is one of the reasons I love the Super Mario Galaxy stage. My friend uses Zelda all the time, and her usually lethal final smash is almost worthless on this stage because the arrow veers off at that odd angle.

4. Even for large battles, I don't like the Great Cave Offensive. The camera is always pulled so far back, it's really hard to see what's going on. Maybe it's Nintendo's way of telling me I need an 80 inch TV. Or glasses.

The stage buider parts might look crappy, but their functionality is what's important. It would be more useful in creating stages for tournament use, as most of the stages as non-omega are just too gimmicky. Not that anybody at a tournament would want to fight on a stage builder stage..

Yeah but this isn't Fire Emblem :| It's Smash. Having a move that fizzles out is as stupid as adding a tripping mechanic. But by all means, use a character that gimps itself ;)

You play with final smash? I don't. I suppose most people play with items on? I prefer not to. But I'll do whatever some of the time. Sometimes will be no items though. There's no items in a street fight.

author=UPRC
Only two more characters to unlock, and I've slowly been trying to use the rest of the roster other than the 10 or so characters I had tried before. While Zelda is still the character I use more than any other, R.O.B. has really made quite an impression on me. I didn't expect much from looking at him, but he's actually pretty darn fun!

I like ROB too. He's got decent projectiles, a few movement altering/powerful aerials, and that hover.

Still waiting for your WiiU code

I'm also disappointed that this thread is so far Addit free.

I'll be playing today, starting in a few hours, and playing for probably 5 or 6 hours. Drop a post here with a time if you want to play, I'll keep an eye on the thread and refresh it while I'm at my friends.

It would be a good idea for everyone to subscribe to this thread so you don't miss any fight requests!
This is one game I'm all but guaranteed to be getting next month; looks like a huge improvement over Brawl (not that it was an awful game, mind you, but I really didn't like it as much as Melee tbh).

I'll be sure to accept any requests you all have once I get it; just PM me tho since idk if I'll be regularly checking this thread or not, but I'll do my best to.
author=Link_2112
Yeah but this isn't Fire Emblem :| It's Smash. Having a move that fizzles out is as stupid as adding a tripping mechanic. But by all means, use a character that gimps itself ;)

You play with final smash? I don't. I suppose most people play with items on? I prefer not to. But I'll do whatever some of the time. Sometimes will be no items though. There's no items in a street fight.

I find that Robin's fizzling moves makes me change up my attacks more often than I otherwise would. Besides, they do seem to last a pretty long time. The levin sword is the only move that I've ever used to death, and once that breaks, you still have an iron sword, so it's not that crippling.

And yeah, I play with items on. I suck at fighting games, and I have no hope of ever winning in a straight-up fight. I also play timed matches instead of stock (as I've noted that almost everyone plays stock). Timed matches were the default when I first booted up Melee and my friends and I have rolled with that ever since.
Special orders are actually pretty fun! And infuriating! The "Clear Crazy Orders after 10 rounds with Greninja" challenge is driving me nuts. At least now I know how to avoid playing on those stages...the ones that are much more dangerous than the other fighters could ever hope to be. *cough*75m*cough*Pyrosphere*cough*

Also, I think it's been mentioned but the soundtrack for this game is incredible. I went through every stage setting the chances for certain songs to play, and was pretty impressed by the selection. And there are still quite a few more songs to unlock, too!

So...anyone want to play a few rounds? Still haven't been able to play with anyone here yet. :P

EDIT:

Whoops I think I missed Link_2112 earlier. :V

Sorry!
I'm in an open online room right now

FUN :D
Man you play a pretty mean Sonic, Link_2112! Also, I really really hate fighting Sonic, lol. XD

I also hate that Star Fox Stage. ;w;

But yeah, that was fun! The game ran incredibly smoothly, except for that one weird pause that one match. I definitely prefer playing with friends over For Glory, so I can't wait to challenge the rest of you!
I live in an awkward timezone, but my ID is ParlourTrick. I'll try and get online more often!
My ID is Jaymonius. If ya'll want to bring the hate, by all means. :D
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Oh my god, Pit's little conversations with Palutena are adorable.

I lost it at "EVERYBODY STAY ALERT"
Isrieri, you gonna post your code?

author=Zeuzio
Man you play a pretty mean Sonic, Link_2112! Also, I really really hate fighting Sonic, lol. XD

I also hate that Star Fox Stage. ;w;

But yeah, that was fun! The game ran incredibly smoothly, except for that one weird pause that one match. I definitely prefer playing with friends over For Glory, so I can't wait to challenge the rest of you!
Thanks xD He's a little side character I like to use. Luckily he's mostly the same as he was in Brawl so I have lots of practice. Your Yoshi is looking good. Is he your main? I'm used to him kinda sucking so when you start putting the pucks to me it catches me off gaurd haha

I played so many matches since we fought so I don't remember specifics haha but they were great matches. But yeah, it ran really smooth and I like that! Makes me want to buy the game myself even more, knowing that I don't have to fight CPU's in order to get in practice.

One thing I noticed is how awful the Wii U messaging system is, and the way it works. It's so limited. Nintendo really sucks at that stuff. I should be able to send a game request and it pops right up on your screen and you quickly join no matter what you're doing. It takes forever just to check your messages and half the screens on the game prevents you from pressing the home button. WTF! So now it's limited to Wii U messaging or setting up time on the forums. I'd be willing to add everyone to skype in order to better coordinate matches.

I also read online that when you get a Wii U message there's a blue ring, or some kind of light indicator on the Wii U machine. Something to keep in mind. Also, if anyone ever sees me with a game open join in, but I might be afk so give me some time to get back and accept the request.

I probably won't be online much until I buy my own game towards the end of the month.

I think we should start a kind of ranking. Where maybe 1 or 2 matches per session go towards our own rankings. It would be sort of like a hockey season, so you can't just fight the same person a bunch of times to raise your ranking and never fight anyone else. You can only have so many ranked matches and it has to be with different opponents. That way if someone doesn't get a chance to play often but wants to compete, they can. What do you think?
Whenever I play Mario Kart online with my friends, we just bypass Nintendo's messaging/chat entirely in favor of Skype. Nintendo just doesn't get how to do online communication. And the blue ring (it's on the GamePad) is pretty much useless, especially for Smash. I'm using a GameCube controller, and the GamePad is usually like... flipped upside-down on the other side of the room. If there is a blinky blue light, I don't see it.

author=Isrieri
Oh my god, Pit's little conversations with Palutena are adorable.
Pit's conversations with Palutena were the only reason I finished Kid Icarus: Uprising. The writing in that game is just brilliant.
Welp, I've added everyone's Nintendo IDs from who've posted them so far.

author=Link_2112
Your Yoshi is looking good. Is he your main? I'm used to him kinda sucking so when you start putting the pucks to me it catches me off gaurd haha

Yep! I'd say he's always been my main, but I honestly used to suck terribly at smash until these new games came out. So it's good that Yoshi is actually really good now that I'm getting better, since I've always liked his playstyle the best!

One thing I noticed is how awful the Wii U messaging system is, and the way it works. It's so limited. Nintendo really sucks at that stuff. I should be able to send a game request and it pops right up on your screen and you quickly join no matter what you're doing. It takes forever just to check your messages and half the screens on the game prevents you from pressing the home button. WTF! So now it's limited to Wii U messaging or setting up time on the forums. I'd be willing to add everyone to skype in order to better coordinate matches.

Yes. Yes it does. It's so nice how the other consoles always alert you to new messages. So that people can actually, you know, play games together.

I think we should start a kind of ranking. Where maybe 1 or 2 matches per session go towards our own rankings. It would be sort of like a hockey season, so you can't just fight the same person a bunch of times to raise your ranking and never fight anyone else. You can only have so many ranked matches and it has to be with different opponents. That way if someone doesn't get a chance to play often but wants to compete, they can. What do you think?

This sounds interesting! keeping track of everything could be a pain, though. I guess we could specify when we're doing ranked battles and just "for fun" battles, and keep records accordingly.

All I know is, I really want to have an RMN-wide Smash tournament when more people have the game. ;w;

EDIT:

My Skype is Zeuzio77 if anyone is interested. I'll probably see you if you post here or message me here, though. ^_^
author=Link_2112
I'm also disappointed that this thread is so far Addit free.

Yeah, sorry ‘bout that. I do have the game and the system now but I still would like to wait on the rest of the family first before diving into some Smash. We were supposed to start playing it together on my birthday last week, but some things came up and we’re now going to try and give it a shot this weekend. Either way, we should get around to it during the holidays. I mean, I can wait on it for a little longer. (Although staring at it entirely from afar, with the cover art just looking at me, gazing straight into my soul, is just making me cringe right now.)

Also, I still need an Amiibo to fight with for the 8 player battles. Everybody’s already got one already (Dad = Link, Brother = Fox, Mom = Wii Fit Trainer) and I’m the only one who doesn’t have one yet. (Looks like I might have to buckle down and get me either a Mario or a DK one until the ones that I really want start coming out.)
author=Link_2112
Still waiting for your WiiU code

Oh yeah! I'll have to grab that tonight. Haven't used the Wii U since my last post in here, ha.
Okay, I've accepted your friend invites. Cheers guys. I'll be paying close attention to this topic.
Now that I'm awake, guess I'll take up some kung fu battles m'self. Let's bring the hate! >8D

@Zeuzio I look forward to battling you, as I too, am a Yoshi user, among other characters who don't rely on counter to make a point. :P
That's cool, Addit. Get in here as soon as you can!

I've been playing Brawl to ease the pain of not having the Wii U. It's actually a good substitute.

We should all record some of our matches. Can they be uploaded? How does that work? *goes off to search in googleland*

I sure wish I had smash right now xD I work from home and one of my main systems is down so I can't log in to take calls. I'm getting paid to sit here and do nothing until they fix it.

edit: Damn, that was quick. Back to work :(
I can Smash tonight if anybody is interested in racking up a lot of wins. Oh, and I'm in Michigan/Eastern Time Zone, so "tonight" is like... the time of this post and the subsequent five/six hours.

The best way to get my attention is to send me a message via Skype. (I'm... AlphaOmega247 of all things). I have my phone with me at all times, so I'll definitely see a Skype message before anything here, but I will (hopefully) check back here just in case.

And I don't think there's any easy way to share your Smash matches on YouTube. Sakurai couldn't be bothered to include the Smash TV equivalent of Mario Kart TV. In the past, I've had to manually point a camera at the TV and then upload it to YouTube. Not that anyone wants to see my shitty matches. XD