HAUS'S GENERAL ART THREAD

DAY 19

Today's PB classes, featuring the former Blue Mage turned steampunk Alchemist and the former Summoner turned 80s car mechanic Machinist. Definitely a change of wardrobe between the concept art and the sprite on the latter though, but the general feel is the same either way and that's all that counts.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'm certainly getting more of a Gunner vibe than an Alchemist one, but nonetheless, all these look great!
sinn
the original sinn
author=JIHAUS
DAY 19

Today's PB classes, featuring the former Blue Mage turned steampunk Alchemist and the former Summoner turned 80s car mechanic Machinist. Definitely a change of wardrobe between the concept art and the sprite on the latter though, but the general feel is the same either way and that's all that counts.

This is pretty hip, you also did the pixel art too?
author=sinnelius
This is pretty hip, you also did the pixel art too?

Nah, those are done by Ocean's Dream based on my original rough sketches of these same classes. You can see them here:

Anyway, new post:

DAY 20

This is probably my most controversial design out of the bunch because of the strange outfits, but Ocean likes em so they get to stick. This was formerly the black mage class and is now called wizard, or should I say, rockstar dracula. I think the pose on the girl is a bit weird but then again what the hell isn't weird about her?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Wunderbar!
These are some nice little sketches. Luv for chocolatier (or Is it Choco-latte-ier?).
sinn
the original sinn
There's a chocolattier? What is this game?? :D

I seriously dig into that archer form though. Very heavy on the arm, sturdy shot.
Paradise awesome Blue. Ocean's best thus far. It's a great game. ^.^
author=Cap_H
Wunderbar!
These are some nice little sketches. Luv for chocolatier (or Is it Choco-latte-ier?).

It's chocolatier but I'm sure that Ocean can easily be persuaded to change it since tasty things are involved. Heh.

DAY 21

I was trying to see how it would turn out if I made fancier painted portraits by tracing and painting on top of my pencil sketches. I kinda like how it looks but I could probably clean it up more. I pretty much used the colors right from Ocean's sprites for consistency and because he's better at picking colors for shading than me. Also as awesome as it is that the male brawler totally looks like a 70s guy, I'm not that happy with the angle of his head and I might change it later when I have more time. Until then I'll probably hit up the rest.
DAY 22

I was sick and also apparently couldn't draw crap today, namely hands and faces, which kinda reflects on both of these. The priest poses could have been much more dynamic I think but I was at a loss on those ones. I always did suck at designing or characterizing priest types.

Also, if I posted what seems to be my least popular designs last time, then this time I post what seem to be my most popular ones - the dancers. This time they've got a nice energetic pose though the inability to get refs really hurt me for the female as I really wanted to do better on the skirt and dress.
DAY 23

Only one today, this time the Mystic which was formerly Time Mage. This example is one of several in this assignment in which a new idea for an outfit didn't hit me instantly, so I thought about something from another culture instead. Even in FF the differences between a white mage and a time mage are somewhat small as if it wasn't for some indentifying patterns or garments they could easily be the same class ( hilariously the priests I designed look like FF Time Mages with more elaborate robes anyway) and convey the same archetype (squishy magic user), so I wanted to do something with a more distinct visual difference. Hopefully it's not too weird, heh.
DAY 24

Most people who see these sketches and haven't played PB would probably think that the Chocolatier class is the joke class of them all, and rightfully so. After all, surrounded by badass casters and warriors alike, a random chef looks really silly by comparison, right? What's he gonna do, use rough foul language to insult the enemy's cooking ability?

But then those that have played PB know that these guys are really about, because it'd have to take such an utterly and completely badass god-like culinarian with supernatural chocolatey kung fu to craft swords out of PURE CHOCOLATE stronger than MOST WEAPONS IN THE GAME. If these guys had their own cooking shows, they'd be split into 2 parts; in part 1 they melt viewers' faces with their chocolatey crafting abilities and in part 2 they lop off peoples faces with their actual chocolate weaponry just because they're that badass.

So yeah, keeping this in mind, I gave them poses worthy of such mastery. Unfortunately the crooked y axis curse struck, particularly on the female, and her pose is unbalanced and one leg is a bit too far to one side. Bleh.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
MC -> Master of Chocolate
I was looking forward to play Paradise Blue, finding some calm sunny afternoon for the activity. Now I'm hyper hyped!

I haven't noticed anything wrong with Femme. Her apron hides any possible asymmetry. It probly looks more realistic this way as nothing is absolutely balanced in real world.
One notice to Day 21. I would recommend to change fighter's nose as adult men usually have it different within manga range. Not so good example from Cowboy Bepop.
The only thing I could think of with the Mystics is that it shouldn't be a crystal but instead a floating egg timer thing. Sand glass clock thingy. Ugh, can't remember the name. XD
Oh, and the red on the turban of the male sprite looks too much like his hair. Perhaps a different colour or shade of red?

Oh and those chocolatiers are just badass~
author=Cap_H
One notice to Day 21. I would recommend to change fighter's nose as adult men usually have it different within manga range. Not so good example from Cowboy Bepop.

You're definitely right on that one. Lol, I even have a print of that very same picture too. Heh.

Liberty - those aren't my sprites but I'll be happy to smack Ocean and pass the feedback along, heh.
DAY 25

Experimenting with this whole "paint over my pencil drawings" thing some more, with the chocolatiers are proving as usual that making chocolate is absolutely serious business.

The second picture is an old one I very roughly drew in pencil a couple years back that I attempted this method on, to some kind of success (at least it looks better than the original). Unfortunately, like the original, it's still anatomically whack, but I did this experiment more to play around with the painting than to actively fix an old drawing. Also I chose this picture to paint on because one of the characters belongs to a friend and this is like kicking a dead troll horse.
DAY 26

Welp, things just got REALLY flamboyant now. Here we have the battle mage, formerly red mage. This is probably the most prominent example of me going to something historical/cultural and taking something right out of there because I didn't have a distinct idea in mind. In this case, I went for the Landsknechts (google them, they really look that crazy), who are medieval mercenaries who were just as well known for their flamboyant colorful outfits as they were for their skill. Maybe I was thinking of how flamboyant and striking red mages are in general and decided to substitute something that was equal or more loud, so that's what happened. Of course no one knows any of this background because the average RPG player doesn't nerd out on history as much as I do and instead we'll get accusations of these guys looking like clowns and/or mardi gras knights. Well whatever, I REGRET NOTHING.
As much as you try to out crazy landsknecht, their original clothing/armor depiction is still more crazy imo. As wikipedia put it:

Maximilian I exempted them from the prevalent sumptuary laws as an acknowledgement of their "...short and brutish" lives. Doublets (German: Wams), deliberately slashed at the front, back and sleeves with shirts and other wear pulled through to form puffs of different-colored fabric, so-called puffed and slashed; particoloured hose (or Gesses); jerkins (German: Lederwams); ever-broader flat beret-type hats (German: Tellerbarrets) with tall feathers; and broad flat shoes, made them bodies of men that could not be mistaken.

I suppose that can be taken that they are so expendable, no one bothered to impose a dress code on them. Also, that description. look at iiit.
How do I know this? Etrian Odyssey had the class, but lack the flamboyant-ness.

Then again, a CLOWN KNIGHT WITH FIREBALL does sound like a great idea to me.

author=Aethers
As much as you try to out crazy landsknecht, their original clothing/armor depiction is still more crazy imo. As wikipedia put it:

Maximilian I exempted them from the prevalent sumptuary laws as an acknowledgement of their "...short and brutish" lives. Doublets (German: Wams), deliberately slashed at the front, back and sleeves with shirts and other wear pulled through to form puffs of different-colored fabric, so-called puffed and slashed; particoloured hose (or Gesses); jerkins (German: Lederwams); ever-broader flat beret-type hats (German: Tellerbarrets) with tall feathers; and broad flat shoes, made them bodies of men that could not be mistaken.

I suppose that can be taken that they are so expendable, no one bothered to impose a dress code on them. Also, that description. look at iiit.

Lol yeah, I haven't tried drawing those slashed garments yet but the research I did is pretty absurd and I saw some rather amazing hats. Also, perhaps CLOWN KNIGHT WITH MARDI GRAS FIREBALLS is more appropriate. I should convince Ocean to give them increasingly fabulous/absurd spell effects.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
author=JIHAUS
author=Aethers

Lol yeah, I haven't tried drawing those slashed garments yet but the research I did is pretty absurd and I saw some rather amazing hats. Also, perhaps CLOWN KNIGHT WITH MARDI GRAS FIREBALLS is more appropriate. I should convince Ocean to give them increasingly fabulous/absurd spell effects.

Dude that would be a great idea actually and whether or not their spell effectiveness tapers off a bit later in the game (because they're both fighter/mage), it'd be great for them to at least put on a show spell animation wise!
DAY 27

Ahh, the Assassin and Thief. This was perhaps where I had the most trouble, because when I was done, I felt like the two classes were too similar in appearance. If you look at them, either of them could really represent either class, though I guess assassins would be very obvious thieves if they did. I suppose when designing the thief I wanted to try a darker more stealth-oriented approach similar to the protagonist from my beloved thief games. With regards to the assassin, "ninja" was the obvious go-to thing but I wanted to vary it up a bit. I figured that the main distinguishing factor between these two was that one was more about stealth and one was more about murder, so I appropriately made the assassins look more terrifying in general. I guess the female assassin still looks like a hannya masked ninja but at least it's not the typical kunoichi look. As you may have seen on the original digital sketches, the thieves looked kinda plain, but I suddenly had the urge to just detail the hell out of them here and I think I like how they look now.

I think I was having a bad drawing day as there's botched anatomy all over the place here, in particular I'm not that happy with the assassin's poses and I think the proportions are a bit weird on the thieves (or that girl is tiny).