THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

Haven't been active here in many years. Just dropping by to say thanks and bravo to Archeia and Cherry for their work on this. Never thought I'd see the day we'd get an official translation. This was pretty much an instant purchase for me. I still remember seeing Cherry's first posts on Gaming World waaay back in the day when he was reverse engineering Rm2k3 and extending the limitations of it. Great to see you've still been at all this time.

It sure is great to finally have an Rm2k3 version that works well on modern systems. It always used to be a real pain getting fullscreen to scale right. It always looked awful and felt slower than windowed mode. I always had screen flickering issues with it too. Now it's perfect!

Maybe this will revive the Rm2k3 scene a bit. This has probably already been asked but, are there any plans for Steam Workshop integration with Rm2k3?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Okay, so this was unexpected. Though considering how much talk was recently started by Degica employees about 2k3, the hints were there. I always felt a bit bad about people using an engine that couldn't be acquired legally, but now that concern is finally gone, too. It took a long time, but better late than never. Great job, you all!
This is really cool. I don't really have the time to devote to making games anymore, but someone told me about this on steam and I went to check how you guys took the news. I don't mind dropping $20 to support a program that's brought me so much entertainment in the past, even if I won't use it much. After looking at the shortlist of changes, it looks like a great improvement too. Cheers!
author=Addit
Does that mean that they’re going to licence Rm2k3 in English now?
author=kentona
who knows? no one tells me anything

- Oh, you sneaky b*tards, you! YES!!! :D

This is fantastic news! I never thought that I would ever see this day come…

First off, thank you soooooo much Cherry and Nessy for making such dreams come true. Really, if you guys weren’t halfway across the world and were staring right in front of me right now, I would give you both a big, warm awkward hug…and probably some ice cream too! (You like ice cream, right?) I don’t know how you guys did it, but you guys did it, all right. Many thanks to you both.

Second, this is so beneficial on so many levels right now. Finally, everyone who has made a 2k3 game in the past that has made any custom resources on their own can finally sell their work for real money now, just like the rest of the big boys out there! That means that all that hard work that everyone’s put into their games creating all those custom resources can finally pay off.

Also, not only that, but 2k3 is now relevant again for future generations to enjoy playing and creating games together. No more stupid DIRECTDRAW errors…no more asking about how come this doesn’t work on Windows 7/8/10/whatever anymore – NO MORE FLICKERING SCREEEEENS!!!

This is also wonderful news for people like me, because it means now that my super-duper knowledge of how to code and create custom battle systems, menus, being able to create things like board games, puzzle games, sports games will now be sought after and be a marketable trait that people might pay a bit for me to do, and that means that all that hard work over the years to get to where I am now won’t be all in vein.

But I guess the best news of all is to finally be proud enough to say that I now own a LEGAL copy of RPG Maker 2003 now and can be damn, well bloody proud of it.

Once the next update for allowing the user to skip the default title page settings has been completed by Cherry in the next coming weeks - then it’s goodbye old pirated software and hello old, non-pirated software.

This is a great day for us all...

- Even Craze is taking the news quite well! :)
I was more annoyed at people complaining about things that are, realistically, not going to be changed due to various reasons - mainly it being an old program and the lost source codes - and just being grateful that the company figured a release was worth doing.

If you recall, we tried to get this out way back to no avail, (even though it did lead to this being added to the cards, but at the time we thought it just fizzled out). The fact that the company listened to its fans and figured "Hey, why not?" instead of just ignoring us and puttering away at something else is worthy of being thankful for.

Sure, it's money for them, but it's also a bother for them to dig up what they could, get people to translate and rework it and allow it to go forward. Be thankful for that. Be grateful that they are the kind of company who say "Yeah, okay, fans want this so let's see if we can do it." and gave it a chance, because a lot of companies won't and don't. So absolutely be thankful.

If you want x, y or z feature, why not send letters or make a topic on the official forums about what you'd like to see in the next maker? That's the one that will be added to - it's incredible that we even got more than just a translation for 2k3 and I'm super thankful that they let more be added instead of just re-releasing version 1.9. Which, if they didn't care, they absolutely could have done instead. They fixed some stuff that people complained about and worked to make things a bit better.

Be happy, be thankful.

Just because they make money from it doesn't mean you should turn up your nose and act like you totally deserve it. There's nothing wrong with being grateful when someone actually does something, even if they do it for monetary gain. In fact, expecting people to do things without any kind of gain is bullshit. People should be given shit for doing shit. IMO.

I'm actually holding off from buying it. I could have had a copy already as a gift, but I want to purchase it with my own money as a way to pay back all the things the program gave me over the years - the friendships made, the fun had, the community built. I'm happy to pay a small sum for that... and a license to use the RTP in any RM engine~ :DDD
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=unity
Wow, I'm gone a week and I come back to something soooo amazing! (tho technically we're not 100% back yet, as I'm typing this on my phone from a rest stop a few hours from home XD ).

But still, this is an incredible accomplishment and both Cherry and Nessy deserve a huuuuge round of applause for making this a reality! :DDDDD

First, there was Don Miguel. Then there was RPG Advocate. But in this age, there is only Chessy.

author=Craze
(a silly one? probably! but still 100% acceptable as long as you're not being whiny and ridiculous).

N64 technology couldn't handle that shit. Modern day technology can't handle that shit. It's completely bonkers to even ask for it. Game design 101 dictates that all AI are dumb as stumps.
Just want to say....

coif has one f in it
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Addit
- Even Craze is taking the news quite well! :)

leo & leah is my favorite game on the site. 2k3 is a terrible to work in but i'm not against the finished products necessarily. i don't think those skills will be "marketable" though. just learn how to actually code and make some app store stuff.

Liberty
stuff

i still think you're conflating people and business. there is nothing to be thankful for at enterbrain/degica (i have no idea which is relevant anymore) or any other company. listening to your customers is something that can be appreciated, but it's nothing to drop down and prostrate over. also "turn up your nose like you totally deserved it" ?? lol please i never asked for this.

i'm glad for the people that like this rerelease. cherry and nessiah did hard work by the sounds of it, so thank them all you want. but! you don't need to worship a company. i mean, just look at all the people who loved valve. they feel betrayed because they put too much personal emotion, too much self, into a company. companies don't have feelings out side of "in the black" and "in the red". cherry and nessiah do have feelings! heap gratitude and accolades on them for dealing with shitty code.

bottom line: never settle, even if it's a tweleve-year-old program. maybe take it out of this topic (maybe, i don't see a problem with it here) but...

corfaisus exists still

i don't even know what the complaints were about aside from a wierd stretched resolution issue. i have no idea what you're saying. don't sell your rtp dragon game unless you make an awful trailer for jim sterling to make fun of
Shit! RPG Advocate! I haven't heard that name in years! Whatever happened to that guy? Last thing I remember was that one game he was making on RPG Maker XP, the name escapes me though... I think it was phylomortis or something, and the game had a very... increased vocabulary.
Craze
Phylomortis: Avant-Garde. I did some testing for him, it was pretty nifty but also, well, a Phylomortis game. You had to pay very limited currency just to open menus, like to view your skills or to use an item. Interesting battle system though!

i think advo fell into a large basket of velvet and never climbed out. he was a pretty interesting guy, living off of an inheritance and working as a game moderator for everquest.
author=Addit
author=Addit
author=kentona

I was being serious. No one told me anything.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Craze
corfaisus exists still
i don't even know what the complaints were about aside from a wierd stretched resolution issue. i have no idea what you're saying. don't sell your rtp dragon game unless you make an awful trailer for jim sterling to make fun of

It's got gay characters in it, sooo...

Besides, 10 years in development? fuck you I'm not selling it.
author=Craze
lol please i never asked for this.
Others did. Quite a few of them. Just because you don't personally profit from something doesn't make it null and void. :/

I never said drop down and worship, I said be thankful. There's a world of difference between the two... XD

You can be thankful to someone for something they did and still not like them. You can be thankful to someone for doing something horrible, even though you don't agree with what they did. You can be thankful to someone for getting something done even if you don't agree with how they did it.

You seem to think that being thankful or grateful is about seeing someone as amazing or awesome or never thinking wrong of them or ... idk, something bigger than just being grateful for something. Even if it's something that they profit from or that they should do, you should always still appreciate that they did the thing. If you don't you're practically saying that you deserve everything that is given to you by anyone even if they should be giving you those things. It's like saying, my parents are supposed to feed me so why should I be grateful for them going out of their way to do more than just give me the basics.

In this case the 'parents' didn't just give you porridge but also bought you some honey and milk to go with it. They didn't have to but they did. And for that you should be grateful - you might not appreciate that they later send you to your room for something or tell you no when you want white sugar instead, but they still did that one thing that shows they care more than the basic needs dictate they should. Degica still had additions made instead of just releasing 1.9 and not fixing anything. For that, be grateful. Geez.

They still released an old engine that they lost necessary components for, just because fans asked them too. That's also worth being thankful for. The fact they make money on it doesn't negate the fact they listened.

You don't have to be all "ENTERBRAIN AND DEGICA ARE THE BEST IN TEH WORLD EVER!!!" or shit like that, but being glad and happy about it, feeling grateful, that's a small thing to do. Not like you gotta build alters and sacrifice your first-borns to 'em or anything crazy like that. Just... let yourself feel a bit of gratitude for them doing something that people didn't think they would. Geez. :/
author=Corfaisus
First, there was Don Miguel. Then there was RPG Advocate. But in this age, there is only Chessy.

chessus
Craze
liberty you'll calling me out for things that i already said i agree with and continuing, at least in the first half of your post, to consider people and businesses the same. there's no point having the discussion if you're not even gonna read my posts!

kentona
Addit
Addit
kentona
I was being serious. No one told me anything.

poor kentona :< somebody give him his site back
To be fair, I assumed he already knew. ^.^; I've been feeling guilty ever since. >.<;

I'M SORRY! ;.;
I'm using Mac and Blue (aka First Seed Material. Is that...not legal? I thought it was freeware. Especially now that they've closed up shop.

author=Rebezion
I think there may be issue with this. Not sure what charset, tilesets, etc. are you using. I think the things that do not vioalte 3rd parties are

- RTP, which comes with RPG maker

if you are using any Snes rip or tileset is, then there might be the issue. If i would go for commercial rm2k3 game I think only custom graphic counts besides RTP for commercial release.
Craze
FSM is not a rip and thus should completely okay. I have no idea if there's a commercial license, however. They did free extensions for XP as well as actually doing the XP and VX RTP, I believe?
I'm pretty sure Craze is right and that it's allowed commercially as well.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=PepsiOtaku
Here's a weird bug thing that I think Shoobinator or someone mentioned earlier in the thread:

The aspect ratio in the new rendering mode is a tad bit off. The width seems to be too wide. I took a regular screencap of the new rendering mode at 1920x1200, and sized up the old rendering mode from 640x480 to 1600x1200 and overlayed them. It looks like the new one stretches the width out to 1680, so there's an extra 40px on either side.

Being a player not a maker it's the end result that interests me and the thing I'm seeing is the boxed borders for the first time on the sample game Mystic Sunrise, before then the illegal engine would simply fit the screen at my native resolution. Now I have to drop my screen resolution in order to get rid of them which is annoying. What's worse, at least for me, is the inability of the game to lose focus when alt-tab is used. It won't switch windows between running programmes. I double checked by opening a game made in t2k3 and window switching and full screen works fine. It's the new engine that reduces the functionality for the player.