FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I want this so bad. I loved FF7 CC gameplay. This looks like that and Kingdom Hearts (love!), and FF15. The Midgar town you can run around? Wow! Uggggggggh gimme now! ;-;
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Honestly I expected much worse.
Barret actually looks more like Barret now, minus the sunglasses...
Cloud's face seems somehow off to me.
Battle looks all flash no substance, but it's too early to pass judgement.
Though I don't really like were it's going, it seems we'll only control one character.
Looks pretty.

Dubs are probably placeholder since there's so much of the game yet to make.

author=JosephSeraph
THEY COULD HAVE GONE FFX-2
AND MADE IT FLASHIER

Final Fantasy X-2 has great gameplay indeed.
BUT it comes with a high price, everything else about the game is crap!
So it's not a perfect solution :P

author=Feldschlacht IV
(...) I honestly do not believe that they are going to carelessly butcher a decade long awaited remake of their most successful franchise.

Can you truly say that after all those spinoffs? :/
FFX-2's 'crap' beats the shit out of like 90% of the other rpgs though
great gameplay awesome story fun characters cool dialogue non linear exploration etc. makes it one of the best entries in the final fantasy series.

but of course people are afraid of "girly" things, ahem. in any case, welp welp. The remake might have funner gameplay than what the trailer provides. I'm sure they put like the flashiest parts possible in order to cater on the people that don't like rpgs (that for some reason they want to sell ffvii to)
cloud's face likely seems off because he's young -- Advent Children and so on made an effort to cast him as a more mature and serious sort of character, but in FF7 he's mostly just acting. the wide-eyed, slightly scrawny look is probably there for this reason.

I don't really understand why people mind Barrett's sunglasses -- for one thing they look really good, but for another it's practically a given that he's going to drop, break, or lose them in some dramatic way fairly early.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=JosephSeraph
FFX-2's 'crap' beats the shit out of like 90% of the other rpgs though
great gameplay awesome story fun characters cool dialogue non linear exploration etc. makes it one of the best entries in the final fantasy series. but of course people are afraid of "girly" things, ahem.

Don't turn this into something it's not. This has nothing to do with "girly" things.
The story was atrociously bad, retcons left and right, Yuna is not the same character, Rikku was turned into an exaggeration of herself, the graphics were mostly recycled from FFX and what wasn't had lower quality, bad music, one of the worst entries in the series :P

The gameplay was great.

Everything else felt like a backstab to anyone who liked Final Fantasy X, i.e.: me.

author=mawk
cloud's face likely seems off because he's young -- Advent Children and so on made an effort to cast him as a more mature and serious sort of character, but in FF7 he's mostly just acting. the wide-eyed, slightly scrawny look is probably there for this reason.

His face seems off to me considering the artwork for the original game, I'm not taking into account the spinoffs.
author=ida
Though I don't really like were it's going, it seems we'll only control one character.

You mean the battle system? No, there were a few scenes where the player controlled Barret as well.

author=mawk
I don't really understand why people mind Barrett's sunglasses

I love the sunglasses stylistically, it would just be silly for him to have them the entire game when considering the source design (and at night, but hey whateves)

author=id
Can you truly say that after all those spinoffs? :/

At this point, that was years ago.
I hope there's a new game plus option to give everyone their old PSX proportions. the long-lost mysteries of Big Head Mode...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah i mean cloud is supposed to be this backwoods kid struggling to carry his Overcompensation Buster, even if he tries to play off cool. i really like his look in this, although i hope the RULE OF COOL doesn't beat out any actual interesting character development he might have.

I mean, Lightning does backflips. Cloud shouldn't do that until L30 or so. we'll see if "cause fangasms" or "tell the mess of a story better using the medium's modern visual power" wins out
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't really know why people are assuming it's going to be an action RPG, based on a "gameplay trailer" that has one and a half seconds of gameplay footage where the only thing you can actually tell is that there's a battle menu and that Cloud can hit multiple times.

Craze, Cloud jumped onto a moving train while running from gunfire and then backflipped through the cargo door to get inside when he was level 7 in the original PSX game.

Did you guys know that, in terms of release date, Advent Children is closer to FF7 than it is to present day? When Advent Children came out it had been 8 years since FF7, and now it's been 10 years since Advent Children. That means, if you were one of the people complaining about Advent Children when it came out, you have a sad fact you have to admit: Advent Children is now old-school. By all rights, you should now be just as upset about the differences between this and Advent Children as you were last time about the differences between Advent Children and FF7.
LockeZ beat me to it - there's a scene or two where Cloud does flashy shit 'just cos'. I mean, hello? He did backflip into an open train door after jumping onto the roof of it to get away from ShinRa soldiers. There's also the time he infiltrated the Junon army base and showed off his flashy-as-balls finisher. How'd he get in? Riding on the back of a dolphin. Climbing an electrically charged tower. 'cos that's just how he do.

He's not exactly a low-key kinda guy all the time and has been shown jumping around and doing crazy shit. Train running during the Corel scene. Riding chocobos in the racing minigame. Snowboarding and let's never forget the motorcycle racing. Hell, his introduction when on the motorbike was him riding it down a flight of stairs and doing a skid across the room before busting through windows to get outta there. Guy is pretty damn active - most of the characters are, in fact, so even if it was to be action-based it'd make sense. It's not them pulling stuff out of their arses - there's actual game scenes in the original showing off just how crazy the whole cast can be.

Hello, Omnislash and that crazy finishing strike where he jumps high in the air then slices his foe in half. Hello jumping to rock formations on high-ass mountain areas which is pretty damn tomb-raider-like when you think about it. His body is built like one from Soldier, which is why no-one really twigged about him not being Soldier at all - he's got the skills and moves like one who was in Soldier, which includes a certain amount of being able to jump, backflip, dodge, move, etc at a highly acrobatic level. So, yeah.

I'm kinda hoping they add some kind of Tomb Raider shit to the various exploration areas like the mountain paths and the like, because that shit would be awesome.
I hope tifa can still shoot dolphins out of her fists
author=iddalai
The gameplay was great.

Everything else felt like a backstab to anyone who liked Final Fantasy X, i.e.: me.

I used to feel that way. But I'm fairly certain I will enjoy X-2 now as I've grown really fond of the goofy kitsch of contemporary FF.

More excited now about the remake than I was initially. I thought the eye-roll inducing silliness of Squeenix games was something unique to them, however after playing/seeing western titles with similar content I think I've become slightly less narrow-minded.

And honestly I think I was being way too precious with the original game. Hearing the flashy parts of 7 summarized above really underlines this. XD
Dudesoft
Ok. My hype has died down a smidge. I have to wait. I'm going to enjoy ff15 all the more because I'm waiting for FF7, the same engine successor. From 15, to KH3, I am really feeling a love for Squareenix again.
All we need now is next gen Mana.
And a knees in mud begging proposal for a similar remake of Ff6. Not my personal favourite, but it would do well to realise Amano designs through Nomura, and those Magiteks would be fun to control in real time.
-shot-
-edit- excited to see how Red XIII and Cait Sith are handled. Will Vincent have four forms, or just go Chaos from Dirge of Cerberus?
You know... they were talking about a proper sequel to CT when FF15 was first pitched and they were going to work on it, but XV took over. Part of me wishes they'd gone with the CT idea. Need another Chrono gam.
Dudesoft
Maybe they'll use the same engine for once and make it with a modified ffxv engine...

I saw a 'dumb' twitter post, hoping there's a competitive online component to ff7r. Dumb! But then I thought, maybe it would be neat to enter the Battle Arena for online fun. Eh... I really don't care about this though. Too excited for main game.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Liberty
You know... they were talking about a proper sequel to CT when FF15 was first pitched and they were going to work on it, but XV took over. Part of me wishes they'd gone with the CT idea. Need another Chrono gam.

They're making a spiritual successor for Vita called Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna.

hack and slash chrono

Don't turn this into something it's not. This has nothing to do with "girly" things.
The story was atrociously bad, retcons left and right, Yuna is not the same character, Rikku was turned into an exaggeration of herself, the graphics were mostly recycled from FFX and what wasn't had lower quality, bad music, one of the worst entries in the series :P

The gameplay was great.

I'm not "turning" anything, I don't know you but people do complain that it's girly, all playable characters are girls, there are glitter-loaded magical girl transformation sequences etc.
No, the story wasn't bad -- it as fun and more interestingly, it had a purpose. What did you want? Drama Fest X-2, ~lets extend the sad scenes until its all diluted and has zero effect~ ? FFX is on my top 3-or-something favourite games and I'm a crazed fan of it since it came out. Diluting its powerful magic my making a clone telling the story of braska or w/e would have been the shittiest idea ever to be conceived.
Yuna is the same character, just without the ties of religion that had bound her. Now she looks for Rikku, as inspiration. And so what if she's wearing short shorts? Rikku was an "exageration of herself" because now there isn't Sin, she's free to enjoy life as she wants. She's never had that before. Did you want her to keep hiding some random sadness and fear and putting up a fake smile? Now she doesn't need that. Now she is an exageration of herself, or rather, her true self, for the first time in forever.
I don't mind them having reused the graphics and while the soundtrack pales in comparison to FFX's, it is still of very solid quality and manages to create a fantastic atmosphere several times.

but w/e. I'm aware it's off topic but a "fan" of final fantasy x attacking ffx-2 so atrociously... eh.
Dudesoft
That Setsuna game sounds like winter wonderland FFX Yuna's pilgrimage...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
ffx-2 is the game that made me want to save spira in ffx because ffx does such a terrible job of making me give a fuck

lockez: oh yeah. well i've never beat disc 1 so tbh i was talking about of my ass anyway
FF7:R - who says it's going to have battles just like KH? Not Nomura.

- Final Fantasy VII Remake is completely different from Crisis Core’s battle system. Not as action-y as Dissidia Arcade or KH but closer to that style.
- The battle speed they’re aiming for is Dissidia Arcade’s. The battles we saw in the trailer are kind of like a standard to aim for.
- Nomura can’t go into details about the battle system, but he said it’s important to note that the ATB gauge turns red. Something significant.

ATB Gauge, people. ATB.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/12/snippets-of-new-final-fantasy-vii-remake-info-from-famitsu/