FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

except i can't make out whatever the fuck is happening on that flashfest that they call a battle system and every kingdom hearts was disappointing and as full of depth as a puddle of water after 15 minutes of soft rain

i really, really hope it isn't a button mashing craze fest and there are actual numbers and choices for I to feast on.
I don't have a PS4, so I never got around to playing FF15's demo -- I can't speak personally about how it plays, but so far people seem to really enjoy it. if FF7 is really borrowing that tech, then I wouldn't worry too much about it becoming a button-masher like Kingdom Hearts 2 did toward the end

in general, I'm happy that they're not cleaving to the source material too much. a remake that doesn't try to exactly reproduce the original game is fairly rare, I think, and I wanna see how it works
yes, it is interesting in a way. I guess there's no point in complaining. but damn
THEY COULD HAVE GONE FFX-2
AND MADE IT FLASHIER
NO NEED TO GO KINGDOM HEARTS AND MAKE IT FLASHIER INSTEAD i have strong feelings about this
oh! I always forget about X-2, but that did do a really good job of rethinking the ATB system and making it work in cool ways.
yes and IT WAS FLASHY
at the same time it had ~DEPTH~ and felt engaging! but noooooooooo its always a good idea to dumb down everything
unity
You're magical to me.
If I could make an RPG that perfectly recreated the battle system of FFX-2 I totally would! :D
First off; almost literally every Final Fantasy they show at this point in development ends up being three times as refined/better when its the finished product. With that aside, I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from the design/animation/presentation aspect. I'm hoping that there's an option to get rid of Barret's sunglasses or whatever, but other than that, I'm into it. I also like his voice direction as well.

As for the battle system, it did look kind of ATB; I saw some sort of extra bar on the HUD that might have been it, and it looked like a Wild Arms 3-esque system where your controlled character does their thing, while the other characters awaiting their turn does their thing.

Even if it isn't ATB/turn based, I'm going to go out on a limb here; I still have faith. Not blind faith, and even though it's Square Enix we're talking about, let's be real here and put on our grown adult pants, I honestly do not believe that they are going to carelessly butcher a decade long awaited remake of their most successful franchise. I just don't, at least, not on purpose. Sorry. We (and I) are probably not going to like some of the changes they do, but I don't think they're going to just nosedive on something as fundamental as the battle system.

I could be wrong, but I think SE is just scratching the surface with what they're showing us.

Oh, and FFXV is pretty much done and playable from start to finish, so they don't have that to keep them crushed underfoot anymore.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
cloud's cute without being like, boring-faced

it looks like NieR, which tbh i am 100% fine with

hopefully it'll have NieR's inexplicable bullet hell elements
ok i quit whining now
it's too little to speculate anything upon
i was just struck by the moment but i'm back to myself
Honestly I'm not sure about where the fear of "dumbing it down" comes from. Outside of a few scenarios the original FF7 can be won entirely with the attack command, so like... There's not a lot of room for them to make it dumber, really.

I feel the need to reiterate Mawk's point about Wedge's voice being awesome. In fact, all the voices are good thus far, which bodes well. The remastered Bombing Mission sounded great too.
the fact that it's easy doesn't mean that it's not deep. ff7 is pretty deep gameplay wise and has a lot of subtle things you can take advantage of... you just don't need because monsters behave exactly the same as the monsters from the rpg maker 2003 default database

i love every single thing about this gameplay video except the gameplay (lol) but yeah its too little to speculate upon
Also, has anyone noticed; they're already English dubbed? I think that's a pretty unique development I'm not sure I've ever seen before in Japanese yet to be released games, to hear English voices so soon.
Oh wow, yeah, I never even thought about that. Neat.

Honestly, that plays even more into my surprise at the sudden progress of this. I wasn't expecting to see so much so soon.
(rants something with a really angry voice)
I remember being impressed with a few examples of monster AI in the original, honestly -- not in the sense that their tactics were brilliant or anything, but they put enough work into a lot of monster condition trees to make them behave interesting and weird. ff7's monster behaviours are still kind of my baseline for the subject of varied encounters.

my own conservative guess would be that this thing is gonna come out in a year or two, but I definitely hope it's further along than I'm assuming. I'm very interested to see... pretty much every aspect of this thing's design
Yeah, lately I've been getting the vibe through their recent releases and decisions that Square Enix is slowly, but surely getting their shit together and is no longer content to being a disappointing laughingstock of a company, especially compared to the consistent juggernaut they once were.

I believe there was even an announcement signaling as such, and I think the statue of limitations of "Square Enix LOL!" is definitely set to expire if they play their cards right. Like mawk I am supremely interested to see the design of where they take the remake because I'm generally impressed so far.
author=Feldschlacht IV
I'm hoping that there's an option to get rid of Barret's sunglasses or whatever,

my favorite part of the trailer tbh