RPG MAKER MV IS A LARGE STEP BACKWARDS

with the script editor removed the functionality of mv is just like 2003. what were the developers thinking.
RPG Maker MV is a large step sideways and forwards
it have no scripts, just plugins and those are written in a separate program which costs money. 2003 also supports plugins but, those are written in c which is a more powerful language than javascript. side-view battle system is available in 2003 by default. mv is the first rpg maker that lacks support for full screen during testing.(unless xp also have that problem but that i have not tested.) mv also lacks the ability to exit the game.
here's a free program for editing scripts: https://notepad-plus-plus.org
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=andreasaspenberg
it have no scripts, just plugins and those are written in a separate program which costs money.

You can do it in Windows Notepad or Ubuntu's GEdit/Vim or whatever else one can edit text with.

Heck, I find it better as now I can have as many scripts/plugins open in a separate program and still be able to mess about in the editor (useful for some of Yanfly's plugins so one can see the syntax consistently)

author=andreasaspenberg
mv also lacks the ability to exit the game.

I guess hitting that X or red dot (for Macs) is just too much, then.

author=andreasaspenberg
mv is the first rpg maker that lacks support for full screen during testing.

It's F4, if you read the help document (accessible by hitting F1 in editor or Help > Contents)

author=andreasaspenberg
2003 also supports plugins but, those are written in c which is a more powerful language than javascript.

It's also a much, much bigger pain in the butt to learn in comparison. I'm fairly certain a young teen can easily make their way around Js/Java but C/C++ is just daunting as hell.
unity
You're magical to me.
I really didn't want it to be the case, but with the offical bug forum thread already at 13 pages, I'm really worried that they rushed the engine out when it wasn't ready >.<;;

I think it could be a really cool engine, but there seem to be so many problems with it right now :/
TehGuy
andreasaspenberg
2003 also supports plugins but, those are written in c which is a more powerful language than javascript.
It's also a much, much bigger pain in the butt to learn in comparison. I'm fairly certain a young teen can easily make their way around Js/Java but C/C++ is just daunting as hell.

That, and the fact that the C++ plugins for RM2k3 are only available for the illegal version of the engine.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Just out of curiosity: has this exact same discussion occurred when Ace was first released?
unity
You're magical to me.
I think there's a similar discussion, yeah, as a new engine can never really live up to expectations. And it's almost never a clear "this one is totally better than the last one."

Though Ace was made, I think, specifically to address problems with VX, so it may have been better received?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah ace was just VX+. people who had the money upgraded, those who didn't just kept using vx or pirated it. unlike 2k3 -> xp and xp -> vx, there wasn't a weird "two steps forward, one step back" thing going on. it was just 0.7 steps forward.
If it hasn't been said yet: The art and music team did a fantastic job and all of the assets look beautiful. That part is a definite upgrade.

The engine itself... I wouldn't say it's a step back, but more of a step to the side. For casual RPG Maker users, there isn't really a ton here that they can't already do with Ace. And yet for the good of the environment, MV needs to get patched up so people can move onto the new engine and not fall back to Ace.
author=unity
I really didn't want it to be the case, but with the offical bug forum thread already at 13 pages, I'm really worried that they rushed the engine out when it wasn't ready >.<;;

I think it could be a really cool engine, but there seem to be so many problems with it right now :/

I'm starting to wonder if I should be happy or not to be working on my VX game right now...

Did ACE have as many bugs/errors as MV this early? I have no idea, since I missed ACE entirely, more or less.
I think when Ace was released was discontent over similar stuff like VX, like how mapping worked or lag present on big maps with lots of events. There was a lot more positive talk though with the improvements Ace had over VX which MX doesn't have. From my light playing with it so far I agree with SgtMettool: MX isn't more robust from a game design perspective than Ace. VX to Ace was big with how traits were added and how much more control you got with them but MX doesn't have an equivalent new feature. Higher resolution assets and porting to HTML5/mobile aren't 'oh wow' features for me (and any MV game ported to mobile will need a lot of work to make it not a chore to play with a touch screen interface).
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=SgtMettool
The engine itself... I wouldn't say it's a step back

I'd say, as it is in its current state, it has small, baby steps back here and there; it doesn't like certain tiles too much (like the red/blue roofs near the bottom of Outside_C)
@GreatRedSpirit:
That makes sense. It seems like Ace mainly what was missing in VX. If there'll still be people using Ace in 2016, then that would make me kind of happy inside.

Yes, porting over from MV to different platforms seems like a much bigger hassle than I thought at first. MV games ported to mobile platforms should be developed in a certain manner IMO. It feels like there must be lots of space for things, clean and simple layouts, menu designs, systems, mechanics...and pretty much everything.
The MV games I'd develop for mobile platforms would definitely be a lot shorter and simpler for that manner. Probably more casual too, since I find it kind of hard to believe that there is a hardcore RPG audience on the iPhone. The RPG genre in general feels a bit too complex for smart phone gamers. Too much options/choices will probably overwhelm the players and result find in a boring experience for most of them. There's a reason games on the mobile market are simple.

Perhaps this will instead become an interesting challenge for us developers when making our future games.

I still like the addition of being able to port MV games to multiple platforms in general though. More possibilities.
Kemco is doing plenty of big old school jrpgs though. And they're apparently fairly complex, though not as much as their console / pc counterparts.
they really should have included a script editor with ruby in addition to javascript support. vx ace is sold as a separate program from vx. i went straight from 2003 to vx ace. the reviews on steam is mixed.(there is reports of random crashes for example). the close button is unavailable in full screen. the music should be backwards compatible with vx ace. the eventing interface is mostly unchanged from vx ace. the kingdom hearts and final fantasy games on mobile phones is rather complex. i hope that they release a revision of mv but until then i am sticking with vx ace.
why would they have 2 programming languages on a single game, though?
this is like mixing coke with milk tea