RPG MAKER MV IS A LARGE STEP BACKWARDS

I was worried even before it was released that something was off. When it was advertised that the plugins included in the Essentials Pack would feature numerous bug fixes, that's when the red flags started popping up for me.

It's... just very inefficient about a lot of things. The 100 MB base file size, the unresponsive editor, and general choppiness of how the games play all really bog down the experience.

I really wanted to like MV, and I tried to stay positive about it for a long time. But I think I'll be sticking with VXA for now, until MVAce comes along at some point.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
... To Enterbrain's/Kodakawa's/Degica whatever's credit, this engine doesn't seem to be bombing as bad as IG Maker.
The plug-ins in the essential pack weren't made by Enterbrain, but by actual fellow game devs, which means there was always going to be bug fixes incoming - most scripts go through that kind of thing when done by indie devs. Even the Yanfly scripts.

And if you mean the bug fix scripts - even Ace had those.

Personally I've never had any kind of choppiness in playing games made in the engine - I hear that a lot of the complaints about that come from using stone age machines (like people complaining about a new gen game not running on their old-ass rigs).
Every version of RM has the break loop bug ever since the loop command was a thing. I tested it on 2k to MV and hit it every single time. Yay!

Also 2k3 has the best enemy AI editor. It's kinda sad how grossly neglected that stuff has been since XP.
I agree with craze's points. I am extremely sad that they managed to f**k up the mapping so much. The added layer does not fill in the hole that the broken shift-mapping made. If that wasn't enough, they've for some reason (probably to hide the laggy nature of the engine) decreased map sizes from 500 x 500 to 256 x 256...WHY?

I like how the engine supports external software (like using different programs for coding), but I still think that there should've been a stock script editor inside the engine. Said editor should, like the external software people now use, be able to stay active while testing.

Regarding the Resource Manager, I have absolutely no idea of why it was included. Hopefully it will be a "new feature" that MV Ace will come with.

During the very short time that I've used MV, I have experienced an unforgiving amount of tediousness. Not only is the editor lagging beyond words (even when I start up the program), but also in-game. Controls seem to mess up every now and then + them loading screens. I love the resources that I can take from MV and use for games in Ace, but the actual engine...I loathe it.

All of these aspects included mean that I will probably never attempt to make something serious, or big with MV. All of the countless and unnecessary amounts of hours that MV adds to development are not making it worthy to use for me. I will gladly await MV Ace. Hopefully things won't be as rushed then.
Do you have the required specs for the engine? Not 'does it play' but 'do you have the specs you're supposed to have for it to run at the optimal ability'? There's a far cry between 'oh it plays' (where-in you can have Fallout 4 playing on a piece of shit computer and lag itself to hell... but still work) and 'this is the level your computer must be at for it to play properly'.

That said, I agree that the removal of the resource manager is bullshit, as is how they messed with Shift Mapping and the autotile issues that they still haven't fixed. Other than that, though, I've no real complaints.

I love the in-event tester (you can highlight events and test them out by right-mouse clicking and choosing to do so) as it saves a lot of time. Very useful.

Processor: 7,7
Memory (RAM): 7,7
Graphics: 7,7
Game Graphics: 7,7
Primary Hard Drive: 7,9
Total: 7,7

Games run fine, but they start to lag every now and then. It's not always lagging, but when it does, it's pretty annoying. It's neither map size or amounts of events that cause the lag, it's fundamental. Sometimes the controls mess up (game takes control of itself and uses buttons randomly).

I know I don't have the best computer, but I think it should do the trick for RM.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I haven't had any in-game issues with MV with all my testing of RAMFORTH. It's all the editor for me, like SgtMettool described... and it's not my machine's power lol.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Sated
2016: The year Craze said that 2K3 was better at something. Looks like the Mayans were only out by a few years.

it's like he's capable of evaluating things on their merits

you could stand to learn something from this
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Liberty
Do you have the required specs for the engine? Not 'does it play' but 'do you have the specs you're supposed to have for it to run at the optimal ability'? There's a far cry between 'oh it plays' (where-in you can have Fallout 4 playing on a piece of shit computer and lag itself to hell... but still work) and 'this is the level your computer must be at for it to play properly'.

That said, I agree that the removal of the resource manager is bullshit, as is how they messed with Shift Mapping and the autotile issues that they still haven't fixed. Other than that, though, I've no real complaints.

I love the in-event tester (you can highlight events and test them out by right-mouse clicking and choosing to do so) as it saves a lot of time. Very useful.

I have 16 GB RAM and can play MGSV at max settings, but the MV editor and games always chug for me. MV seems to have really weird performance problems on a lot of machines for some reason. I wonder if it's related to the issue where Ace shit itself on some CPU brands.
author=Craze
The side-view is poorly implemented. 2k3 does it better, and that's alarming.

ME first time seeing MV in early beta stages. PLEASE FIX THAT SIDEVIEW IT'S NOT GONNA FLY.

-never happens-

Nessy cries in a corner.
/me pats

It's okay. I know you tried to get them to fix stuff. All the suggestions they ignored... orz
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
author=Craze
The side-view is poorly implemented. 2k3 does it better, and that's alarming.
ME first time seeing MV in early beta stages. PLEASE FIX THAT SIDEVIEW IT'S NOT GONNA FLY.

-never happens-

Nessy cries in a corner.

I'm curious about what they messed up with the side-view system. Can anyone elaborate?
Craze
all it does is allow for the battle character sets to be displayed. Annnd... nothing else. The way you assign weapon graphics to types is extremely rigid, I had to recode the whole animation heirarchy to change how cast animations work and to get "chanting" to even be visible, and there's just.... nothing else to it. No flying enemies, no built-in way to show the characters running up, no way to have them stand differently on different backdrops, etc etc etc. none of this was a problem in 2k3.

tl;dr: no animation control, no other options at all.

my favorite part is that it has both battlers and sv battlers folders (BOTH FOR ENEMIES) for some aremen-forsaken reason
unity
You're magical to me.
Oh man, that's just awful >.<;;;
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Craze
all it does is allow for the battle character sets to be displayed. Annnd... nothing else. The way you assign weapon graphics to types is extremely rigid, I had to recode the whole animation heirarchy to change how cast animations work and to get "chanting" to even be visible, and there's just.... nothing else to it. No flying enemies, no built-in way to show the characters running up, no way to have them stand differently on different backdrops, etc etc etc. none of this was a problem in 2k3.

tl;dr: no animation control, no other options at all.

my favorite part is that it has both battlers and sv battlers folders (BOTH FOR ENEMIES) for some aremen-forsaken reason

At least you could simply empty the regular battler folders if you plan on having your game strictly side-view, to reduce file size. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty disappointing how the feature was sort of just shoehorned in without any real care put into it.

author=Liberty
/me pats

It's okay. I know you tried to get them to fix stuff. All the suggestions they ignored... orz

Now I'm curious, what suggestions DID they ignore (If you are allowed to disclose any of this)?

Speaking of animations, does anyone else notice how... Clunky the new skill animations editor feels compared to past makers? It even feels like it runs on a reduced framerate during previews as well. It's just... why?
Craze
from talking to nessy the second i got my hand on the engine: absolutely everything.

and yes everything in the database has input lag, and then the animation tester doesn't let you change the shitty fps setting. mv ;V
I blame myself for the shift click issue. I pressed nessy to remind them to add it in and they must have thought "oh, people really want this... let's 'fix' it up a bit" or something like that. >.<;

Shoulda kept my big mouth shut. orz

Don't get me wrong, I like the engine well enough - I feel like some of the stuff people complain about is pretty stupid all in all - but it does have it's issues and I much prefer Ace (she says as the only games she touches are the ones on MV and a certain dating game).
Craze
well that's half the problem. editor lag aside, if we went from XP to MV everybody would have shit themselves. but... we didn't.