WIN SOME // LOSE SOME - WHAT GAME DID YOU THINK WOULD SUCK WAS ACTUALLY AWESOME, AND VICE VERSA?

Pages: first 1234 next last
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
For me, I thought FFXIII would suck, but I ended up loving it. I felt it addressed most of the flaws people had levelled towards modern JRPGS - Confusing maze-like dungeons, Useless Money, Long Repetitive Battles, Pacing & Challenge, and easily getting lost.

Dungeons are laid out simply with a path forward, and a path for challenge and reward. There's no more searching doors trying to figure out which leads to treasure and which leads to the boss. You alwyas have a decision to make. Money is scarce, and you have real decisions to make regarding selling upgrade components to get items you want or need. Battles are very fast paced, and require constant attention and quick action. The game sets limits on how powerful you can be in any certain area, so that you have to solve battles the smart way and not the power way. You always know when you need to think differently to get past an area, not level more. And lastly, every time you boot up the game, it recaps where you are, what you've done, and where you're going. And there's an in-game encyclopedia detailing any term you might have forgotten.

As for Vice Versa... Hmm, that's tough, but I guess I would have to say Unlimited Saga. I know, it's easy to pick on. I had high hopes for it, but they just let everyone down. There's a good, challenging game there for the persistent, but it just not a game that can hold your attention for any lengths of time before you start pining for the rest of your library. Watch imbiggy's LP of all the characters, and be glad you missed it all.
Mercenary Kings - Everyone thought it'd be Metal Slug and reviewed it poorly. I ended up buying it anyway since it was in a bundle or something? I don't remember. Turns out the game is a good "grinding" game for me. It plays a lot like a cautious MegaMan platformer with tacked on RPG elements and gun modding. I usually hate crafting systems and grocery shopping quest lists but it's basically a guilty pleasure. No one ever talks about this game though.

Undertale - Bought it after the hype died down a little. Thought it'd be one of those games where the story takes you for a ride completely from start to finish. But uh, still haven't beaten it. I find some of the characters a little annoying and the jokes for some reason only being funny at the start of the game before it just degrades to "oh playing with my expectations i getittttt". I actually don't have much bad to say about this game just that I find it a drag to come back to it. I like the battle gameplay though, it kind of replaces the notion of a lot of rpgmaker games needing these complex battle systems inventory management etc. when all you really need is a touhou minigame equivalent to string a narrative along.

Splatoon - Thought it'd be a game I'd be playing just because my friends are playing it. I ended up clocking 100 hours playing with strangers mostly. Basically fulfilled any kind of multiplayer urge I was feeling in a world with only CoD and a drained Team Fortress 2.

Metal Gear Solid V - The most disappointing AAA game experience I had in a lonnnnng time. The trailer looked good, I held off on any info the game gave out past that etc. Again like Undertale expected the story to roller coaster ride me through a weekend just like past MGS games. All I remember from MGSV is sitting in a helicopter, waiting it to land and looking at credits I've already seen. Then walking to an outpost and doing a really basic mission. Rinse repeat.

Completely barren in terms of story. Every "story mission" felt like a sidequest leading up to the real story related thing that took forever to get to. Codec conversations are replaced with cassette tapes which were boring to sit through mainly because A. They're completely optional so things like plot and pacing arent considered B. They're more non interactive than the codec. The story just sucks, it was built up to be this ultimate climax of the series of why Big Boss became the Big Bad but it ends up being him being actually reasonable in every situation. There was no sense of emotionally irrational vengeance or any kind of "downfall" to the character, and yes, given the how the game ends there's a reason for that but I saw the twist a mile away and it just didn't seem worth it. That said there was a huge feeling of the story not concluding well at all and the themes and messages just being super weak.

Man I just hate this game. 80 hours spent and I was basically done after I listened to the last cassette tape.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I've always been fascinated to try Mercenary Kings, mostly because I love pixel art and Paul Robertson was involved! Glad to hear it's a lot of fun to just sit down and play.
Dark Souls 3
I started the series with Demon Souls, played Dark Souls 1, never got too started with 2, skipped the PS4 and Bloodborne, and got DS3 when it was actually new! I got into DS1 and 2 so late the complete versions were available when I ended up getting them. I like the concept of the game but 3 felt like it didn't know where to go with the series from 1. It had similar pitfalls as the earlier ones like camera issues, new issues for no good reason like the poise stat not working at all and their auto-matchmaking being fucked, and it never did anything neat or interesting.

When I was playing DS3 I got one of the best weapon in the game about an hour in: The Astora Straight Sword. There's nothing special about it except that it's a straight sword which in DS3 has a fast swing (important when poise doesn't exist), low stamina consumption, and with the ASS you can remove its stat scaling and simply make it better than everything else. There was never a compelling reason to use any other melee weapon or even invest in the common melee weapon stats. They have a wide variety of weapons in the game but had no idea what to do when balancing them.

On the plus side you can make all the dumb jokes about the power of your raw ASS you want!

All the settings and locations got mired by callbacks and poor design decisions. Dark Souls 1 had some neat places to go that were supposed to invoke some sense of awe. Anor Londo is the big city of the gods with tons of bloom, New Londo is spooksville, Sens Fortress is a giant fuckoff fortress with assholes traps. Almost everything in DS3 felt like a callback to previous games (including one that was just up and lifted but cut most of it out). Barring three or so exceptions nothing felt interesting or distinct on its own. It just never seems to go anywhere.

Undertale
I played this like Darken, after the hyped died down. I figured it was just some internet sensation shit and I had it available through steam library sharing and some time to burn so I gave it a spin. Turns out it really worked for me and I loved it. I found it to be a neat unique experience and it hit all the things I was looking for in a game.

(this reminds me I should update my avatar)
piemunch
i desperately need for everyone to know that i hate Undertale
author=GreatRedSpirit
UndertaleI played this like Darken, after the hyped died down. I figured it was just some internet sensation shit and I had it available through steam library sharing and some time to burn so I gave it a spin. Turns out it really worked for me and I loved it. I found it to be a neat unique experience and it hit all the things I was looking for in a game.

I'm genuinely sickened by the fact that people can consider that pile of hypocritical racist garbage appealing.
Yeah I get really disgusted when someone has an opinion about something.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
I'm not a type of guy who goes in with low expectations a lot, although I have one example of that.

Undertale (I swear everyone is gonna put this on their list)
I heard about this when the kickstarter started, my brother told me about it and described it as a game that makes fun of every trope. It didn't really catch my attention because that sounded pretty boring to me. When it came out the internet exploded and I still avoided it because of overhype (ya I was that person). I decided to check out a let's play, not caring about spoilers and it looked pretty fun. So I bought it and had a blast playing it with a friend. I was glad the game didn't only focus on making fun of tropes and had a pretty good story. It also introduced me to the best robot.

Paper Mario Sticker Star
> Paper Mario Fan
> "Oh shit new paper Mario game"
That's all I needed to buy this game, I enjoyed the first three a lot so I was excited for a handheld paper Mario game. Low and behold I didn't even finish it and sold it at a local game store after the first world. Besides the fact the story was bland for a Mario RPG, the gameplay was boring since it didn't involve a lot of strategy. You can by pass every enemy and you'll be fine. The bosses are a huge difficulty spike and it took me 5 tries to beat a big Goomba. Now with Color Splash coming out and not even changing the battle system that was criticized by many people, I don't think I'll be getting Color Splash.

Classic Sonic Games excluding CD (since I haven't played it)
People were saying these are the best Sonic games. Games that showed Sonic at his finest. Sure, I'll try them out, they sound pretty good. I bought the DS Sonic pack which came with Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles. I found myself getting bored real quickly since there's a lot of auto play moments which I despise. I also hate how you will always get hit by an enemy because you'll run into it. I'm well aware of the instant shield but you have less of a second to react since you're moving so fast. Again, didn't finish any of them. I still have the game though, perhaps I'll give it a second chance? I understand why people like them but I perfer the adventure series.

P.S.

author=piemunch
author=GreatRedSpirit
UndertaleI played this like Darken, after the hyped died down. I figured it was just some internet sensation shit and I had it available through steam library sharing and some time to burn so I gave it a spin. Turns out it really worked for me and I loved it. I found it to be a neat unique experience and it hit all the things I was looking for in a game.
I'm genuinely sickened by the fact that people can consider that pile of hypocritical racist garbage appealing.

lol
piemunch
The best characters truly are bloodthirsty psychopaths whom you're supposed to think are perfectly justified in wanting to slaughter children because of their race.

Seriously, are Undertale fans genuinely this delusional, or have they never actually played a good game with well-written characters?
Puzzle and Dragons Z was a pleasant surprise for me, especially since it was pre-emptively lambasted by basically everyone for being a $30 version of a free mobile game. But I found it to be an enjoyable game with its Saturday Morning Anime aesthetic and beefy amount of content. Plus it came with the "okay" Mario edition which was a nice diversion.

On the other side, Eternal Sonata looked to be a very promising RPG with a unique premise, but I found it to be plodding, extraordinarily boring, and incompetent. The battle system was teeming with feature leaks and having to fight the same 2-3 monsters in every hour-long dungeon made my stomach turn rather quickly. People seem to really love this game though.

author=piemunch
The best characters truly are bloodthirsty psychopaths whom you're supposed to think are perfectly justified in wanting to slaughter children because of their race.

Seriously, are Undertale fans genuinely this delusional, or have they never actually played a good game with well-written characters?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're over-analyzing this.
piemunch

maybe you should try playing the game next time
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
author=piemunch

Loooooool
piemunch
author=Pizza
piemunch

Oh, I have. I've played the game where an insane racist relentlessly trying to slaughter a child is considered more sympathetic than the child she is trying to butcher. I've played the game that considers the monsters murdering humans by accident to make the monsters sympathetic. I've played the game that switches the player and the enemy's place simply to display that the monsters are entitled to murder you even after offering you "mercy."

I've played the fucked-up half-assed Earthbound rip-off that only fucked-up people could possibly enjoy. It must truly be an inspiration to talentless plagiarizing RPG Maker users everywhere.
Ni No Kuni - What a fucking bait and switch. Art style by studio ghibli, gameplay done by Level 5. The marrying of two masters of their craft. It's actually hard to articulate what's wrong with Ni No Kuni other than everything is just... average. There were a lot of missed opportunities to do some really cool things since the premise was kind of neat and interesting. But it's like really boring when the battle system has very dubious AI problems that are fixed by learning certain skills and idk. I haven't beaten the game but I feel like I'll have to at some point and I won't enjoy it. I tell people this and they never believe me after marveling at the gameplay footage. I've no idea why the game is getting a sequel but I hope they get something right.

Minor spoilers:
I thought the mother dying and stuff could have been amazingly sad take on stuff Mother 3 style but it's basically what happens when you squander everything on boring characters and typical RPG fare.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (I colored it purple because my reactions are mixed)

So I figured I needed an M-rated game to expand my library and thought this would be an awesome game to pick up, based on video reviews.

I haven't played many open world games, but this blew me away right off the bat. I felt really immersed in the setting and when I was allowed freedom, I could embrace it a little.

... That said, it has a completely broken combat system, long load times, a campaign story mode that is about as dull and uninteresting as your standard JRPG, and a final boss that shouldn't even be called one due to how pathetic it was.

It's... Not what I'd consider game of the year but it's alright. Playing with mods is especially fun.

author=Porkate
Classic Sonic Games excluding CD (since I haven't played it)
People were saying these are the best Sonic games. Games that showed Sonic at his finest. Sure, I'll try them out, they sound pretty good. I bought the DS Sonic pack which came with Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles. I found myself getting bored real quickly since there's a lot of auto play moments which I despise. I also hate how you will always get hit by an enemy because you'll run into it. I'm well aware of the instant shield but you have less of a second to react since you're moving so fast. Again, didn't finish any of them. I still have the game though, perhaps I'll give it a second chance? I understand why people like them but I perfer the adventure series.

My strategy with just about every classic Sonic game is to use the rolling/spin-dash as much as possible, and jump appropriately. It's a safe playstyle when you are not familiar with the level layout and there are enemies that you may run into.

I could be biased, though, because especially with Sonic 3 and CD, I could play those games with my hands tied behind my back.
author=piemunch
author=Pizza
piemunch
Oh, I have. I've played the game where an insane racist relentlessly trying to slaughter a child is considered more sympathetic than the child she is trying to butcher. I've played the game that considers the monsters murdering humans by accident to make the monsters sympathetic. I've played the game that switches the player and the enemy's place simply to display that the monsters are entitled to murder you even after offering you "mercy."

I've played the fucked-up half-assed Earthbound rip-off that only fucked-up people could possibly enjoy. It must truly be an inspiration to talentless plagiarizing RPG Maker users everywhere.

Dude, chill.
lol i have yet to really get anywhere in dark souls.
i must consult my video game doctor.

to adresss the topic at hand idk i remember being drawn towards HLD. but then i forgot about it and didn't really get into it when I got to play it nya

Halo 4 was a bummer too for me.
I don't know a thing about halo 5.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
1. I thought Star Wars: Battlefront (the new one) would be awesome, and for the first couple of days, it was. Then I finished every single player game and discovered the broken ass online play options and discovered it sucked sweaty balls. Terrible replayability and the controls are shitake mushfucked. Getting the regular DLC and the game is NOT improving it even remotely, just more maps and options for doing the same fucking thing over and over and over again. I refuse to buy the season pass until it is in the fucking 2 dollar bargain bin.

2. Valkyria Chronicles is another. Great story and atmosphere, but boy is it boring as all fuck. Tactics done totally wrong, in the worse way, in the most cliche way that makes everyone erroneously think tactics games are donkey fucked by virtue of being tactics. (I'm looking at you, Craze. Seriously, give tactics a better chance. There are some wonderful tactics games out there. Valkyria Chronicles isn't one of them, but nevertheless...)

3. On the opposite end, I thought Disney Infinity would be just be something I'd get a kick out of for awhile and then it would start collecting dust because, you know, I expected it to basically suck. I mean, after all, it's a game that is truly geared to children, it's a toys-to-life game, and that's never good (and it really can't be defended for Disney Infinity either), but it is so fucking fun, with almost infinite replayability...Motherfucker, I can't even tell you how many hours I've put into this. It's addicting as all hell, and there is just so much to do! Virtually every genre is represented and these aren't just minigames. Platformer, RPG, Racing, Action-Adventure, and you can spend countless hours on each one. You can even make your own games with an actual system using events, pointers, variables, switches. It's really simplified though and you can only use sprites you've unlocked.

4. Another game I didn't expect much from but fell in love with was Mirror's Edge. I mean, who expected a proper, real, parkour game?
When Legend of Mana came out, that was when I knew that game companies were no longer making things that appealed to my tastes. The target demographic had shifted away from me.

Around last year, I went on eBay and purchased Romancing SaGa for the PS2, because I thought the original Romancing SaGa was interesting. (I even spent a lot of time replicating its dialogue balloons in RPG Maker XP.) It has become the game I play the most. It is fun to play when using a FAQ. I have played through it 4 times.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the game that I did not expect to enjoy nearly as much as I did. Ace Combat 4 (and 5). Really fun to play. High production values.
author=Darken
Ni No Kuni- What a fucking bait and switch. Art style by studio ghibli, gameplay done by Level 5. The marrying of two masters of their craft. It's actually hard to articulate what's wrong with Ni No Kuni other than everything is just... average. There were a lot of missed opportunities to do some really cool things since the premise was kind of neat and interesting. But it's like really boring when the battle system has very dubious AI problems that are fixed by learning certain skills and idk. I haven't beaten the game but I feel like I'll have to at some point and I won't enjoy it. I tell people this and they never believe me after marveling at the gameplay footage. I've no idea why the game is getting a sequel but I hope they get something right.

I still really liked Ni No Kuni, but did find those same aspects disappointing. With the way combat works, I would've rather had it play more like an action RPG, where you assign abilities to different buttons and for your allies to actually Defend against big attacks by default. It's just too action-oriented to be menu-driven, I think.
author=Zachary_Braun
When Legend of Mana came out, that was when I knew that game companies were no longer making things that appealed to my tastes. The target demographic had shifted away from me.

I would say Legend of Mana was super experimental and has nothing to do with "how game companies were moving into" It's not like every game since had a confusing blacksmithing system. Idk I find that statement just confusing as LoM goes the other way in going towards something too niche as often Kawazu games go. It's like Kawazu is some ninja of infecting games when people aren't looking.
Pages: first 1234 next last